AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Dvds...Any suggestions ??? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10133)

Gavin Williams 04-11-2006 05:13 AM

Dvds...Any suggestions ???

Hello all,
I was hoping that someone could help me. I am looking for a dvd or other training aide where in the requirements for the exams are shown. I already have a really good Christian Tissier dvd where the different techniques are shown (very clearly) but i find I spend a lot of the time, skipping through to the specific technique i was looking for and was wondering if there was something out there which shows the different techniques but in order of the exam requirements.
Any ideas.....???
Thanks

Gavin

SeiserL 04-11-2006 07:48 AM

Re: Dvds...Any suggestions ???

Quote:

Gavin Williams wrote:
was wondering if there was something out there which shows the different techniques but in order of the exam requirements.

Since each organization has their own curriculum, you would need to find something specific to them. Check with your Sensei.

Takuan 04-11-2006 10:10 AM

Yamada Sensei has 3 excellent videos where he explains techniques the New York Aikikai use for their exams. I found his explanations quite helpful. Check it out:

http://www.nyaikikai.com/videos.asp

Don_Modesto 04-11-2006 12:39 PM

Some very fine technical offerings are Saotome's, Chiba's, Saito's, Nishio's, and the Cranes (http://www.coolrain.com/). Ron Tisdale will probably chime in with some good Yoshinkan stuff (I don't know that area, myself).

But, as Lynn said, what you choose should depend on the kind of dojo you've joined. Talk to your teacher.

Ron Tisdale 04-11-2006 01:25 PM

:) Who me? For yoshinkan, I recommend the DVDs on the 150 basic techniques. Really good stuff.

Best,
Ron (waves at Don)

Don_Modesto 04-11-2006 04:32 PM

Quote:

Ron Tisdale wrote:
:) Who me? For yoshinkan, I recommend the DVDs on the 150 basic techniques. Really good stuff.

Best,
Ron (waves at Don)

WWWWWWW
(waves back ;) )

Michael O'Brien 04-19-2006 09:35 PM

Gavin,

You might also check out the Aikido 3D software package. I haven't seen it personally but it has gotten some excellent reviews on here from other members.

Mark Uttech 04-26-2006 07:18 PM

Aikido 3d is awesome! I just invested in it, and it rocks!

Michael O'Brien 04-26-2006 09:24 PM

Mark,
Thanks for another glowing endorsement. I think I may go ahead and order mine now as well. I've heard too many good things about it.

Gavin Williams 04-27-2006 10:10 AM

My copy arrived on tuesday :) ....... nice !!!
the option of tracking the footsteps and being able to watch the techniques from almost any angle and speed has cleared a few things up ( only slight moan for me has humble beginner is that i would have liked more techniques from katate-dori aihanmi/ gyaku hanmi, but that is really a very very small moan, honest !!)

Am curious how and why they picked the techniques coupled with the attacks that they did. Oh and by the way another plus was the time it took to arrive, ordered it last friday.. arrived hear in Amsterdam tuesday impressive
All in all very happy and would recommend to all

samuraisam 04-27-2006 02:10 PM

Quote:

Gavin Williams wrote:
Hello all,
I was hoping that someone could help me. I am looking for a dvd or other training aide where in the requirements for the exams are shown. I already have a really good Christian Tissier dvd where the different techniques are shown (very clearly) but i find I spend a lot of the time, skipping through to the specific technique i was looking for and was wondering if there was something out there which shows the different techniques but in order of the exam requirements.
Any ideas.....???
Thanks

Gavin

Yamada Sensei dvd, well video anyway, but I'm sure they are somewhere in dvd also. They're good though. He goes through each technique.

Michael O'Brien 04-27-2006 04:41 PM

Quote:

Gavin Williams wrote:
My copy arrived on tuesday :) ....... nice !!!

Mine has been ordered and am expecting any day. :)

Nick Pagnucco 04-27-2006 06:23 PM

I've seen Yamada sensei's, and Chiba sensei's instructional videos. Yamada's DVDs go a bit slower, and the techniques are broken down a bit more. Chiba sensei's technique is quite impressive, however, so neither is exactly 'bad'.

Also, I know its not helpful for exams, but another DVD I'd recommend is Ellis Amdur's ukemi DVD. It was central in fixing my rolls (I was slowly destroying my left knee), so I'm either a testimonial or biased, depending on your point of view.

Nick

Charles Hill 04-27-2006 09:53 PM

The Doshu has just released a DVD/book package on basic technique available in any large Japanese book store. I imagine that Budovideos.com will have available soon.