AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   A small victory along the greater path.. (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3852)

Daniel Mills 05-15-2003 01:57 AM

A small victory along the greater path..

Insignificant to most I know, but nonetheless I felt compelled to document this momentus occasion ;)

Last night I participated in the ukemi drills with the rest of the dojo for the first time, ever :D

This is all, I told you it was insignificant :blush:

However..

YAY! :D

Best,

-390lb of rolling mass (also known as Daniel..)

:rolleyes:

:D

Jeff Tibbetts 05-15-2003 02:10 AM

Sorry, maybe I missed another post. How long have you been training? Just to put that into perspective... I guess it wouldn't seem like as big of a deal if this was your second practice :)

Daniel Mills 05-15-2003 02:39 AM

I started training on the 10th of April, been training thrice weekly ever since.

I'm a big guy (circa 390lbs or so) so I've been working on my ukemi on our second mat with a senior student since, just building up confidence and all, whilst the rest of the dojo ran through the drills on our primary mat :)

-D.

Jeff Tibbetts 05-15-2003 02:44 AM

I see. That's what I was looking for. Well, for what it's worth, "congratulations." I hope that that sense of accomplishment continues to come to you every time you train. I was shocked when I realized that feeling like part of the group felt so good, I always thought I was something of a non-conformist. Hopefully you feel good to be a closer part of your group :)

Daniel Mills 05-15-2003 02:50 AM

Like I said, to most it'll just be an insignificance, but it was really was overcoming something of a minor hurdle for me, hence my inane and excited posting :)

PeterR 05-15-2003 02:58 AM

Naw Daniel - there is nothing insignificant about ukemi. It's a major problem for a whole lot of people including myself. I'm reasonable now but still far further back than I should be.
Quote:

Daniel Mills wrote:
Like I said, to most it'll just be an insignificance, but it was really was overcoming something of a minor hurdle for me, hence my inane and excited posting :)

Greg Jennings 05-15-2003 06:08 AM

Wow! You've crossed a major hurdle. Keep it up!

Regards,

MikeE 05-15-2003 08:24 AM

Hey Peter. We agree! ;)

Ukemi is the perfect analogy for Aikido as an art. You can always get better and refine it.

Daniel Congratulations!! I have a couple guys in my classes that rival your size and one who eclipses it. They have taken to using an open training time to work solely on ukemi. It's great!! After 2 months O'Sensei's picture doesn't come tumbling off the wall any more :)

All the Best,

Kensai 05-15-2003 08:45 AM

Good for you, I always dreaded doing Mae Ukemi. Its one of those things that you work on and work on, then something clicks, and you make a leap forward (no pun intended). Now I hurle myself around the mat, however the "mind and body coordination" part is still missing.... lol.

Qatana 05-15-2003 08:47 AM

Yay Daniel! I, too, made the "jump" this week-at least on my left side. I'm still a little tentative about the injured one tho i'm rolling from a "high kneeling" on that one now,too!

So at our open house this weekend i get to demonstrate "how to learn ukemi".(as opposd to "how to Do it...")

Happy Flying...

Daniel Mills 05-15-2003 09:01 AM

My left side feels horribly wrong, It doesn't feel a natural position to put myself in, but I've found that if I simply start in vaguely the correct position, then.. just throw myself, that more often than not, I do actually end up in vaguely the correct position..

It's nowhere near 'right' yet, but we're definitely getting there, It was just a mental barrier destroyed and left in tatters by the path-side, I still need to work hard on my rolls, but for the confidence booster doing the drills has given me, I think I'll participate a lot more often.. :)

The best part about flying.. is falling :D

akiy 05-15-2003 09:01 AM

Hi Daniel,

I personally view ukemi (which, of course, encompasses far, far more than just rolling and falling) to be the most important part of aikido training. These days, I very much believe there's no difference between uke and nage; the same principles that we apply to being a "good" nage apply in the role of uke as well. In fact, I'd say that the fact they're considered as "roles" is artificial -- the line between them is quite blurred and non-distinct (in my mind, at least).

Congratulations! Now, get back to training.

-- Jun

Bronson 05-15-2003 12:26 PM

Quote:

Last night I participated in the ukemi drills with the rest of the dojo for the first time, ever. This is all, I told you it was insignificant
No progress is insignificant.

Congratultions and keep going :D

Bronson

Karen Wolek 05-16-2003 06:17 AM

Woo hoo, Daniel! Good for you! :) I get way excited over those kinds of things too (as anyone who knows me can attest). I started in October. I was terrified of forward rolls so it took a long time of me practicing alone or with sensei before I could do a halfway decent roll. The first time I joined the line, I was scared to death but so excited once I did it!

Now, I'm recovering from a knee injury and I haven't done a forward roll in almost 2 months. Last night, sensei re-taught me how to backfall and I guess in a couple weeks, I'll have to re-learn how to roll. So I'll be getting excited all over again! <grin>

Keep up the good work!