AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Training (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   atemi again... (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6088)

Paula Lydon 07-21-2004 02:48 PM

atemi again...

~~Another thread got me thinking: What sort of atemi do you personally prefer--circular, linear or 'scrappy'? And is it primarily for disbalancement/damage or damage/disbalancement? I tend toward scrappy (anything goes in the moment) and target for damage but use as disbalancement. I just don't want to get sloppy in the dojo, forgetting that I might need this on the street and that Aikido IS a martial art.

Lan Powers 07-21-2004 04:51 PM

Re: atemi again...

Pretty linear, with intent to disbalance, uke doesn't react.... damage.
You hit 'em, you better mean it. You may not get another opening.
Lan

aikidoc 07-21-2004 09:56 PM

Circular or linear. It depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Some pressure/vital points can be struck with a circular motion.

Walid Sinno 07-23-2004 02:30 AM

Beyond the pure technicality of an Atemi, which I agree should be as sincere as it's meant to be, an Atemi is a reminder of Authority, a necessity before establishing harmony. Atemi is so essential in aikido as the rule of law is important in a nation. Why the sun and the moon do not clash with eachother? Because the sun with its gravity has authority over the moon, and shows it the harmonious way to revolve around it.

Ian Upstone 07-23-2004 02:48 AM

Or the sun could just smash the moon across the bridge of the nose before moving in to do irimi tenkan. ;)

SeiserL 07-23-2004 07:59 AM

All of the above.

We tend to atemi from anywhere as Uke and Tori to help train each other better. IMHO, any opening needs a reminder to close. All training should be with honest intensity and intent.

Lan Powers 07-24-2004 09:14 PM

As we get "better" at ukemi and with the techniques themselves, it is cool to start adding more and more atemi as the opening presents itself. One of my sempai is about to train for shodan, so if he pauses in his flow another punch is on it's way. (He gets away from the pause to think stage pretty quick that way)
Hopefully I will get to that point one of these days.
Lan

Chad Sloman 07-25-2004 05:17 AM

personally, linear and obvious but with intent

the back fist I learned in karate is probably one of the best atemi tools that I'll ever have

Lyle Laizure 07-25-2004 09:29 PM

I prefer atemi that flows with my movement to apply the technique. In the spur of the moment though anything goes. When I execute an atemi my intent is not to strike the "attacker" but to off balance him/her. It is important to understand though that unless you execute your atemi with intent it will not off balance your "attacker", whether in the dojo or otherwise. It is important to know how to deleiver an effective strike or it is pointless to execute it in the first place. With that said, if I execute an atemi and do not get the desired response from my "attacker" then I strike with whatever force I deem neceassary to gain the desired reaction. This obviously varies depending on whether or not this is practice or a real situation.

xuzen 07-25-2004 11:59 PM

Quote:

Lyle Laizure wrote:
I prefer atemi that flows with my movement to apply the technique. In the spur of the moment though anything goes. When I execute an atemi my intent is not to strike the "attacker" but to off balance him/her. It is important to understand though that unless you execute your atemi with intent it will not off balance your "attacker", whether in the dojo or otherwise. It is important to know how to deleiver an effective strike or it is pointless to execute it in the first place. With that said, if I execute an atemi and do not get the desired response from my "attacker" then I strike with whatever force I deem neceassary to gain the desired reaction. This obviously varies depending on whether or not this is practice or a real situation.

To the point Lyle! Osu!

Boon.

ian 07-26-2004 05:29 AM

linear, direct to vital points. I think for aikido to be effective you need to be aware of when the opponent provides an opening for you to strike.