AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Teaching (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What makes a teacher? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2218)

Paula Lydon 07-17-2002 07:00 PM

What makes a teacher?

Just a simple question this time. What, in your opinion, makes a true teacher? :rolleyes:

Thalib 07-17-2002 09:01 PM

The one that is a true student.

SeiserL 07-18-2002 09:37 AM

Consistently high standards.

Patience and compassion.

Until again,

Lynn

Allen_Schaffer 07-21-2002 12:01 AM

Paula, I'm not sure what you mean by a 'true' teacher, but one definition of a 'good' teacher is one who teaches people, not subjects.

There can much to your question. What prompts it?

Allen

Bronson 07-21-2002 12:25 AM

Everything the others have posted plus a love and passion for the subject being taught.

If I think back to the various teachers I've had, the ones that made the biggest impact were the ones who obviously loved their chosen subject.

Bronson

DaveO 07-21-2002 04:01 AM

Love of the subject being taught is important, true; but to my mind, nothing makes a teacher more than the love of teaching itself.

Teaching is a skill unto itself, the person who loves to teach will tend to learn the skills and develop the experience required to become a great teacher.

:)

Dave

Katie Jennings 07-21-2002 05:59 AM

Someone that will say over and over- Kate, that STILL isn't your left foot, and then makes me laugh about it.

:D

MaylandL 07-21-2002 10:20 PM

Re: What makes a teacher?

Quote:

Paula Lydon wrote:
Just a simple question this time. What, in your opinion, makes a true teacher? :rolleyes:

Hello Paula

This is an article that you might find interesting if you havent alredy read it.

http://www.aikidoonline.com/feat_0502_yamada.html

All the best for training :)

Abasan 07-21-2002 11:31 PM

Someone who can not only teach you stuff, but actually help you learn to learn stuff. Me thinks...

Pretoriano 07-22-2002 08:01 PM

A true Teacher is that who know the Path... and then Know how to Transmit knowlegde to others, and more Important, to Teach people to Learn for Themselves; had to be familiarized with the learning process, surely be proficient in to use didactical and pedagogical resources as well.

Pretorian

Edward 07-22-2002 08:21 PM

Thorough knowledge of the basics, humility.

Steven 07-22-2002 09:36 PM

Has an open mind and spirit and is willing and capable of learning news ways of practicing, teaching and applying all aspects of Aikido and in turn, sharing that with his/her students. Also, one who is not TOO BIG for his/her own hakama to take ukemi for their students if capable.

I've been to too many clinics and dojo where the chief instructor does not participate in training. They just show the technique but won't take any kind of ukemi, especially when they have invited a senior instructor to their dojo.

Note 1: I said if capable. I certainly understand injuries and such.

Note 2: Ukemi does not just mean break falls.

Thalib 07-23-2002 04:31 AM

Miranda-san... I humbly agree with your opinion, especially about ukemi, it doesn't just mean breakfalls.

akiy 07-23-2002 08:04 AM

Quote:

Iriawan Kamal Thalib (Thalib) wrote:
Miranda-san... I humbly agree with your opinion, especially about ukemi, it doesn't just mean breakfalls.

Nor does it just refer to falling in general...

-- Jun

justinm 07-23-2002 09:45 AM

Passion

Empathy

Communication

Commitment

Vision

Steven 07-23-2002 10:30 AM

Quote:

Jun Akiyama (akiy) wrote:
Nor does it just refer to falling in general...

-- Jun

That is correct and what I meant ... Thanks Jun!

Thalib 07-23-2002 05:16 PM

A little bit out of topic here...

It's such a coincidence that this topic, ukemi, came up because I'm writing a small paper on the significance of ukemi in Aikido training for shodan grading next year.

I'm glad there are people that shared the same view about ukemi. The word ukemi doesn't even translate to falling or breakfall. Although the dictionary translates it to passivity or being acted upon, in Aikido it means much more than that. I probably shouldn't get into that discussion, because it is kind of subjective.

I just want to say that, being uke is actually learning more about being nage. This was what my sensei taught me, and a good teacher, a true teacher, knows this.

Steven 07-23-2002 05:41 PM

Re: What makes a teacher?

Quote:

Paula Lydon wrote:

Okay Paula ... You're turn!

giriasis 07-23-2002 06:10 PM

A good teacher is sensitive to his students needs. He or she knows when to push and when not to push. He encourages students to train hard, but allows them enough room in their training for them to learn their own aikido. He does not dictate what aikido should be to the student, but rather encourages the student to learn what it means to them.

jk 07-23-2002 09:56 PM

Sounds like you folks are talking about what makes a good leader...

So would you agree that being a true, or good teacher requires one to be a good leader?

Does being a true teacher necessarily mean that one has to be the alpha wolf? The sort who's actions imply "been there, done that...now you go there and you do that."

Course, just may be my antihistamines talking today... :freaky:

rachmass 07-24-2002 05:13 AM

John Kuo writes:

Does being a true teacher necessarily mean that one has to be the alpha wolf? The sort who's actions imply "been there, done that...now you go there and you do that"

actually, I have seen both versions of alpha wolf and someone you would never think of as alpha wolf. I know several very quiet and humble teachers who do not stand out on the mat and are very gracious. Their students are excellent and show terrific spirit. A teacher is reflected in their students. If their students are honest and forthright in their training, train hard and with good attitude and are technically proficient, then there is the proof of good teaching.

Thalib 07-24-2002 12:34 PM

Quote:

John Kuo (jk) wrote:
Sounds like you folks are talking about what makes a good leader...

So would you agree that being a true, or good teacher requires one to be a good leader?

They actually do come hand-in-hand. How could a teacher truly have a class if the students do not respect the teacher as a leader?
Quote:

John Kuo (jk) wrote:
Does being a true teacher necessarily mean that one has to be the alpha wolf? The sort who's actions imply "been there, done that...now you go there and you do that."

The difference being a true and good leader is not being the alpha male. The alpha gained the position by being the strongest in the group, and more like taking the position through strength and intimidation instead of earning it. There are teachers like this, and they are not a good nor a true teacher, just bullies.
Quote:

John Kuo (jk) wrote:
Course, just may be my antihistamines talking today... :freaky:

Maybe... maybe it's past midnight here, and I'm bored out of my head, and hunger strikes with a vengeance...

Paula Lydon 07-24-2002 05:54 PM

Ah...busted by Steven Miranda! In the Chinese horoscope I'm a monkey, and every bit of it; love to get things going...

People have focused on the word 'true' and got me wondering why I used that instead of good. Okay, I've met many 'good' teachers, but I think 'true' means someone who touches me. Whatever those mysterious, subconscious dynamics are--all that everyone else has said--and then something that keeps me coming back. Don't even have to always like them...

A true teacher to me is also always a student. They allow their students so see/sense their own struggles and evolution; they exhibit the aiki in the moment, live the process itself and you are a part of it. They reach past physicallity.

Too esoteric? Thanks for the push, Steve!

"Live your life like an experiment" :)

David Worsley 08-19-2002 03:43 PM

I concur completely, the truest teacher is and will always be a true student, but to that you must also add the empathy of having been there and still being on the journey.

Over the years I have found that its the students themselves who creat the truest teachers, individuals who understand that we are all different and require different styles of learning, instruction, even class room or dojo dynamics.

To be adaptable to the individuals needs. A good teacher is mirrored in their students, and yet is also a mirror for them to the future.

Not to profound i hope.

ian 08-20-2002 06:30 AM

I think the benefit we have in aikido now is there are so many different teachers. Training only with one teacher may give quite a narrow view of aikido and the students may emulate their teacher (and especially their mannerisms or behaviour), rather than developing their own abilities. I'd agree that a 'true' teacher is still a student of aikido - because these teachers are often open enough to redifine their teaching to fit in with the way you learn.

I've been wrangling myself with whether teaching basic techniques or blending is more important for beginners, and finally come to the conclusion that it is a balance, depending on how the students absorb the teaching (if technique is poor I teach them technique etc.)

Some teachers who were very poor in my past, are now very inspirational, because now I konw enough to understand what they are trying to teach. Aikido really is a journey, and the scenery changes as you progress.

Ian