AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Well, this is pretty cool.... (Aikido group for 55-75 year old women) (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21819)

Krystal Locke 10-03-2012 12:57 PM

Well, this is pretty cool.... (Aikido group for 55-75 year old women)

Kinda makes me feel bad for missing morning classes so often....

http://www.ageofhappiness.com/blog/aikido_group_eng/21/

Gambarimasu kudasai....

Shadowfax 10-03-2012 02:12 PM

Re: Well, this is pretty cool....

That is really cool. What a gem. Thanks for posting. it brightened up an otherwise not that good day. :)

Janet Rosen 10-03-2012 04:46 PM

Thank you!

crbateman 10-04-2012 04:01 AM

Good stuff!

Mark Freeman 10-04-2012 04:37 AM

Excellent article, loved it!

Diana Frese 10-04-2012 07:02 AM

Very Inspiring. Thank you!

Anthony Loeppert 10-05-2012 06:47 PM

Re: Well, this is pretty cool.... (Aikido group for 55-75 year old women)

"Oh, my hip!"

This looks very bad to my young eye. Fingers bent backwards supporting the entire frame?! Never mind going over in more of a somersault roll rather than (what I know to be) an aikido roll. These are some tough seniors. I wouldn't recommend my parents joining this class.

I, of course, applaud the interest in bettering yourself in any and all aspects but I would think the older beginners should approach with more caution as injuries would likely take longer to heal from.

Krystal Locke 10-06-2012 01:07 PM

You neglected to mention that nage has poor posture and worst of all, has the left side of her gi top against her body.

Wonder what they'd do if we sent Mary Heiny over for a seminar. Bet they'd enjoy that to pieces.

Anthony Loeppert 10-06-2012 10:30 PM

Quote:

Krystal Locke wrote: (Post 316700)
You neglected to mention that nage has poor posture

Correct (and we are all learning), though I don't think throwing posture is as important as how to fall, especially with older people. Seniors often take a turn for the worse (otherwise known as death) after a nasty fall. Not necessarily immediately, but it starts downward spiral. My point was and is if seniors are going to learn aikido (later in life), they better master basic ukemi FIRST. I think this applies to everyone but the older don't have luxuries younger people have for making mistakes.

It was perhaps overly critical and perhaps this single picture isn't representative of their practice. But there were only two pictures in the article and I assumed the two chosen were representative.

Mary Eastland 10-08-2012 09:11 AM

Whoever the teacher is...students are limited by their physical ability, age and time on the mat. A picture is a moment...not the process. Jean started aikido when she was seventy. Her rolls were always a bit scary to watch, yet her courage was inspirational. She could roll the way she could roll and I respected that. When she stopped practicing at 77 she could still roll the way she could roll and still left me in awe of her courage and commitment to her training.

lbb 10-08-2012 09:35 AM

Quote:

Anthony Loeppert wrote: (Post 316724)
It was perhaps overly critical and perhaps this single picture isn't representative of their practice. But there were only two pictures in the article and I assumed the two chosen were representative.

Photographs that accompany an article are generally taken by a photographer who is ignorant of the subject matter. How would this photographer know what a representative image is? Most likely, he/she simply chose the two best images in terms of photographic criteria (i.e., showing motion, faces not obscured, in focus). Quite possibly those were the only images that met those criteria. I think it highly unlikely that they were chosen based on being typical of the students' practice.