AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   External Aikido Blog Posts (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   "Oh Man!" (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17940)

Thomas Osborn 04-09-2010 02:30 PM

"Oh Man!"

4/9/10 f [2s, 12 v] I Three new people. Three guys dropped out after warm-ups. I could see that they weren't moving very well, major grimaces with some moves, so I suggested that they sit this one out unless we did a technique they were very comfortable with. One guy did get up for one technique. But they were all very "present" the whole time.

Worked from gyaku homini [cross hold]. Started with ikyo and progressed to nikyo, imote [front] and ura [behind]. Most people are relaxing and centering much better.

One new vet was working with a staff member and was having trouble "entering" into his uke's attack. When I came over to help, he said he really wasn't comfortable getting so close to someone, but when he saw how much better the technique worked he said he would work on it. After class the staff person said the guy focused so hard on breathing to center and relaxing, he didn't notice how close in he was moving until, during one technique, he stopped, looked at how close he was, said "Oh man!" and smiled. Like the staff said, "A small step, but a signficant one". Thats how we make, and measure progress.

Two vets are leaving the PTSD program [Ward 8] but are staying in the VA facility and just moving to the next building, and want to know if they can still come to this class. Well ya! Make me feel good!

(Original blog post may be found here.)

sakumeikan 04-10-2010 09:02 AM

Re: "Oh Man!"

Quote:

Thomas Osborn wrote: (Post 255291)
4/9/10 f [2s, 12 v] I Three new people. Three guys dropped out after warm-ups. I could see that they weren't moving very well, major grimaces with some moves, so I suggested that they sit this one out unless we did a technique they were very comfortable with. One guy did get up for one technique. But they were all very "present" the whole time.

Worked from gyaku homini [cross hold]. Started with ikyo and progressed to nikyo, imote [front] and ura [behind]. Most people are relaxing and centering much better.

One new vet was working with a staff member and was having trouble "entering" into his uke's attack. When I came over to help, he said he really wasn't comfortable getting so close to someone, but when he saw how much better the technique worked he said he would work on it. After class the staff person said the guy focused so hard on breathing to center and relaxing, he didn't notice how close in he was moving until, during one technique, he stopped, looked at how close he was, said "Oh man!" and smiled. Like the staff said, "A small step, but a signficant one". Thats how we make, and measure progress.

Two vets are leaving the PTSD program [Ward 8] but are staying in the VA facility and just moving to the next building, and want to know if they can still come to this class. Well ya! Make me feel good!

(Original blog post may be found here.)

Dear Thomas,
Hope you are well.Keep up your good work .I read your initial blogs.One other point do not get despondent about people dropping out of Aikido.This is normal.
Any way all the best , Cheers, Joe.