AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   History of Black Belt? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8666)

Aiki x 03-12-2006 02:49 AM

Re: History of Black Belt?

It is noble to say belts don't matter, however, when you first start training they are a great motivation to train that little bit harder. The actual gradings are also a good learning experience. The participants learn to use their Aikido under stressfull conditions.

The coloured Kyu grade ranks also protect inexperienced Uke's. I visited a club that only used white belts for kyu grades. After receiving lots of advice on my technique from one of the white belts I assumed he was experienced. When using him as uke for a tenchi nage I threw his with full power and really shook him up. The instructor scolded me saying that he was not graded and only a beginner. I felt a little bad. If the club used a colour belt system I would have realised that he was just an "all knowing" 6th Kyu.

Nick Simpson 03-13-2006 04:15 AM

Well, I've trained at dojo's that use coloured belts and to be honest, I dont think the colour of someones belt is a fail safe method of being able to recognise their level of ukemi (or much else).

The 6th kyu above should have known better I reckon and perhaps it might have been a good idea to feel him out before throwing him too hard. Personally I feel everyone out who is a new training partner, on a course I always introduce myself and if im interested/trying to ascertain a level of my partner I ask them their experiance level (not their grade) and then it doesnt take too long while training with someone to realise what they are capable of, in my opinion...

Rupert Atkinson 03-14-2006 02:46 AM

Having seen what goes on in a Japanese university, most first year students of whatever art get their BB at the end of their first year. Most get their 2nd BB at the end of their 2nd year, and some at the end of their 3rd year. Only a few get their 3rd BB before graduating - the more serious ones Budo-wise, or perhaps, study-wise, the less serious ones, if you know what I mean. That's what I saw. Kind of normal, really.

Koren Ko 04-29-2006 02:12 PM

Quote:

Adam Huss wrote:
Yes, I have noticed that trend as well. Its almost as if in Japan, if you have a black belt, most people are like "So? You do martial arts? Thats for old people." Whereas in the States the general non-budo savy populace think that a black belt signifies some sort of status giving you the powers of a charachter from Mortal Kombat or something..you are the ultimate killing machine. Most people I have trained with consider black belt status the same...as a sign of a serious student. We usually call first degree black belt 'shodan'...'beggining rank,' to symbolize just that..that it is a begining rank. It signifies a new beggining in your training, it signifies that you have made a no b/s commitment to learning something and other students and teachers should recognize this and treat you accordingly (ie you should be expected to have certain knowledge of the fundamentals of body ergonimics and the application of aikido fundamentals, but also it should be recognized that you have the capabilites to learn 'for real.').
In our organization, we also have an understanding that there is no reason for anyone to test or gain rank above nidan uless they plan on teaching. For us, sandan is the level at which one can create other black belts. A huge deal. So to go there, or beyond is pointless unless you teach. But really, the best way to learn (in the dan ranks) is to teach. Your sensei can only teach you so much, you really start to learn how techniques work when you have to explain/teach it to another person..especially beginners. In working with begginers (or especially at seminars with non-aikido marital artists who have pre-concieved ideas of the effectiveness of aikido..or lack thereof) you really learn if you have control. Its a great way to learn and a great experience.
Oh, off subjuct. Gomen nasai.
Cheers!
~adam

Mmm...Just a thought.

When you said:"In our organization, we also have an understanding that there is no reason for anyone to test or gain rank above nidan uless they plan on teaching. "

Do you mean your sensei or your senior often inform the would be shodan what the ranking signifies and/or how your organisation function?

I ask, because, I dun get info how actually a martial art organisation works and what its system signifies back then during my mid-school time as a kyu student.
After I reached shodan in that art, and left school and away from practice, I feel stupid for try to get shodan and then lack knowledge of how things run in the organisation. The sensei and senpai were also tight lips or not well informed too. Now, I probably feel more not worthy of being say a serious student and belt the black this way for that art.

Williamross77 04-30-2006 11:53 AM

i think there is more pressure on a Shodan in America than in Japan, Because there are less long term students and often a Shodan is looked to as more of an instructor ( warranted or not). I japan i have been told by people who visited and trained there are more Shodan and Nidan in the ranks where there might be three or for San dan or Shihan. Thus In America where there are just fewer in each school the Status is perceived differently

Lucy Smith 05-11-2006 12:17 PM

Bill,
I think ur right. Except on calling your country "America" when the three continents called that way have a large number of countries, none of which is trying to steal the name to the others. I'm an american too, and I'm not from usa. Surprising?

dps 05-11-2006 09:16 PM

I just read this thread for the first time.
Quote:

Avery Jenkins

QUOTE=Avery Jenkins
wrote:

In my case, acheiving shodan means that I will have finally attained my goal of becoming the reincarnation of Thor, God of Thunder. Other men will cross me only at their mortal peril and the young girls will swoon in my presence. UFC fighters will buy me beers.

Avery

I did not know Thor, God of Thunder was a blackbelt in Aikido. Is there any other comic book heroes that have a black belt in Aikido?

WAIT!!!!! I found another. http://www.aikidokids.com/aikidoman.htm

mathewjgano 05-12-2006 12:03 AM

Quote:

David Skaggs wrote:
I just read this thread for the first time.

I did not know Thor, God of Thunder was a blackbelt in Aikido. Is there any other comic book heroes that have a black belt in Aikido?

WAIT!!!!! I found another. http://www.aikidokids.com/aikidoman.htm

Thor, a mere comic book chracter!? Someone's not going to valhalla! ;)

dps 05-12-2006 05:21 AM

Quote:

Matthew Gano wrote:
Thor, a mere comic book chracter!? Someone's not going to valhalla! ;)

Ooooooooooooooops

dps 05-12-2006 07:53 AM

"Colored belts and how they came to be

In the old days the white belt was simply dyed to a new color. This repeated dying process dictates the type of belt color and the order of the colors!. The standard belt color system is white, yellow, green, brown, and black. In some Karate school and styles, the color order is white, yellow, orange, green, blue, brown, black.
karate belt colors

Due to the dying process, it is practical to increasingly use darker colors. All of this came about shortly after the second world war, when Japan was a very poor country, and dying the belts to a new color was a cheap way to have a visible, simple and effective ranking system.

The dying of the belts became part of the Karate tradition and was also adapted in other countries. In Australia, Sensei Terry Lyon of Lyon-Karate.com reports that in the early 70s, Australian Karate students also dyed their belts to their new color."

I found this at following site, http://www.all-karate.com/125/histor...te-belt-colors

David

Dirk Hanss 05-12-2006 09:25 AM

I was told the idea came from the battle fields. The darker one's dress (the belt is just a symbol) the longer he has survived, i.e. the more experienced he is.

For getting the belts cheap, our karate and judo fllows do it just that way: All belts are provided by the dojo. If you get graded, you have to exchange your current belt against the new one. But in most cases it is used.

The big advantage is, that the belt is already used to the techniques, you still have to learn, which makes life much easier. "You don't know how to do this? Ask your belt!"

All the best

Dirk

Williamross77 05-12-2006 01:56 PM

actually i did mean the whole of the American continents both of them. actually i should have stated anything not in japan, however in the US it is even more pronounced due to the infamous Daniel-son scurge. IE "oh dude, he's some kind Black Belt Karate Guy... wax on dude.." to which respond, "wha tha are you talkin bout man?!?" well you get the point.

Qatana 05-12-2006 04:22 PM

I like the idea of getting a used belt and trading in your old one.It says something to me about lineage and continuity.