AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Keep Aikiweb up. (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5700)

shihonage 05-27-2004 04:34 PM

Keep Aikiweb up.

Hello,

I don't know how many of you noticed the recent link which says "Contribute to Aikiweb".
If you haven't, it's quite understandable, because it doesn't seem to be anywhere on the front page.
I don't see any large letters or fancy graphics screaming in your face "Pay $$ now because this server costs me money !", and its probably due to the modesty of the creator of this site.

Other sites of similar nature (that is, sites providing online forums for a certain type of community), are far less subtle in advertising their new "Subscriber options".

This is happening because, after the Internet bubble burst, it became nearly impossible for websites of less-than-astronomical popularity to generate revenue from advertising in order to pay for themselves.

Yes, there are still some "astronomically popular" megasites left which have so much traffic, that even despite the miserable pay per-ad, they can still get by just by spamming their every page with third-party advertisements. These sites look like a colorful flashing trashcan, but in exchange they can get by without charging their subscribers.

Some of these sites came up with some imaginative options to earn money, for example, allowing you to change another user's avatar for a nice little pay.
This kind of business, however, would be out of place on a forum which is not entirely populated by malicious teenagers, such as Aikiweb.

I'm posting this thread because I realized something.
A couple of weeks ago I went to see Van Helsing and ended up paying for 2 hours of being spit in the face.
After this experience I was very intent on finding the director Stephen Sommers and taking my money back from him personally.

2 hours. Aikiweb's "Contributing member" option asks a sum of money not significantly higher than that what you would spend on a 2-hour movie ticket (which you may as well regret buying), but, in this case, it pays for one year of entertainment.

I know I've derived many hours of entertainment on this site, taking cheap shots at people and starting flamewars.
It would be a shame if this profound experience would go away.

If you feel the same way, please consider contributing to Aikiweb.

Jeanne Shepard 05-27-2004 06:27 PM

Re: Keep Aikiweb up.

I agree. Its a very small price for a great webpage.

Jeanne

wendyrowe 05-27-2004 06:50 PM

Thanks, Aleksey. I hadn't even noticed the link, but now that you pointed it out I just did it.

DanielR 05-27-2004 08:16 PM

Amen!

Bronson 05-28-2004 01:21 AM

Thanks Aleksey,

I have been meaning to post something similar to this but never got off my dead ass and got it done.

Thanks again,

Bronson

drDalek 05-28-2004 02:47 AM

Damn, just tried and apparently Paypal does not work down here. So Aleksey, I take it you did not like Van Helsing, I thought it was atleast better than the other Beckinsale / Vampire poo-fest Underworld, mainly because VH did not make me feel like I was attending a live action vampire role playing game with a bunch of chubby make-up wearing nerds.

akiy 05-28-2004 07:30 AM

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to start off by thanking those of you who have become Contributing Member and also thank Aleksey for pointing out the Contributing Member option in this thread! All of your support does, indeed, keep AikiWeb going!

As far as PayPal goes, it's currently the cheapest way for me to accept credit card payments at the volume that I'm using such. I may go find a merchant account with a larger company (that can accept credit cards from more countries) in the future, though. If any of you know anything about this sort of thing, please let me know...

In the mean time, I can accept money orders (in US$) which are mailed to me via postal mail; if you're interested, please send me e-mail or let me know via private messaging and I'll be happy to give you my postal address.

In any case, thanks, everyone, for being here!

Best regards,

-- Jun

aikidocapecod 05-28-2004 07:47 AM

How many use this great web service Jun has created? Is there one that comes close to the content out there anywhere on the web? What value do each of us place on those we have met...and that which we have all learned from this web-site?

Consider these couple questions...and then indicate that value to Jun....not in words...but in $ome fa$hion that will allow Jun to continue.....

Ju$t my humble thought...