AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Who is everyone? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592)

cbrf4zr2 02-23-2001 09:50 AM

I've really only been on here for a couple months, and have some trouble figuring out who is who, and would like to try and put some persona behind the names here. How old is everone on here?Do you actually do aikido? How long have you been doing it? What rank do you currently have? What style(s) do you practice? What other martial arts/ways (sigh - just thinking about *that* thread) do you or have you practice(d)? And where do you practice? (Just what State or Country) I'm also curious about how "big" you are - but I don't want this to end up being aiki-personals, just a little background on who on this thing.

Nick 02-23-2001 10:04 AM

My name is Nick (as though the username didn't reveal it), I'm 14 years old, and have trained for 14 months now. I train in Wadokai Aikido, which is heading up by Roy Suenaka Sensei, who was a deshi of O'sensei's for about 9 years. I trained in Shito-ryu on and off for about 2 years when I was younger, and I live and train in Lilburn, GA (USA). As for how "big" I am, well I think that's kind of personal ;).

Cheers,

Nick

[Edited by Nick on February 23, 2001 at 10:07am]

Magma 02-23-2001 10:18 AM

Hey, everyone
My name is Tim. I've trained in Aikikai style aikido 2 1/2 years now, and I am a 1st Kyu. I have also cross trained in TKD for the last 2 1/2 years where I am 3rd Gup. I train in Grand Rapids, MI. I am 26, 6'7-ish, 250 pounds-ish, and I enjoy long walks on the beach and like girls who can make me laugh. :D Sorry, couldn't resist.

cbrf4zr2 02-23-2001 11:13 AM

The name here is Ed (which of course is up in lights at the bottom). I actually train at the same dojo as Magma. I started Sept 15th of 2000, and just got my 6th Kyu ranking. My previous experience was about 2 classes of Kung-Fu, don't ask me what kind because I don't know. I'm 26 until May, and I go about 6'-2"/6'-3" and 180 pounds. So now you all know you can probably kick my a**. And why did I know at least one person would take "big" that way. I have a secret crush on Tim, although I will die before he ever finds out. DOH! Too late. :D

Magma 02-23-2001 11:24 AM

<<dies>>

DiNalt 02-23-2001 11:32 AM

My name's Aleksey, I've been studying at the Aikido Center of San Francisco, which is a part of Pacific Aikido Federation founded by Hideki Shiohira Sensei.

I've been studying for about a year and haven't tested for 5th kyu yet (which is probably a good thing :-I)

Except this month I missed the first half of the month due to a horrible cold and then decided to take a break until March.

Oh yeah, and I'm the smallest guy in this thread - 6"1, ~150lbs .

I enjoy my girls lightly grilled with a bottle of nice Chianti.

Magma 02-23-2001 11:38 AM

ffft fft fft fft!!!!
;)

aiki-victim 02-23-2001 11:48 AM

My name is Wil and I'm 18 years old. I have trained for about 6 months now, and have my grading for 5th kyu coming up soon. I train in KaiShinKai Aikido, in England. I trained in judo for about 2 years when I was younger, but other than that no real experience. Im the shortest on this thread at 5'10", and weigh about 10 1/2 stone (no idea about kilos!)

mj 02-23-2001 11:57 AM

My name is Mark. I'm 36 til May. I practice at the 'Institute of Aikido' which is the oldest ryu in the U.K. (Kenshiro Abbe sensei but now really Iwama) I've been there 18 months and have a 5th kyu. I also went on a 3 month course with a teacher from the French aikikai and got a 5th kyu there. I train in a tomiki sports aiki school (Shodokan) at the weekends. I'm 5'8 and 9 1/2 stone :p

Steve Speicher 02-23-2001 01:25 PM

My name is Steve (haha tricked you). I just started aikido at the beginning of this year, although I've been studying (and following this board) for a couple of years now off and on. My dojo is in Ohio and headed by Claude Geeromes sensei. It is ASU affiliated, so Aikikai style?

Oh yeah, I'm 21 and attending Ohio State U also.

Later :)

Magma 02-23-2001 01:27 PM

1 stone = 14 lbs.
1 stone = 6.36 kg
1 stone = a crude weapon
1 stone = not quite gravel
1 stone = ... ok, I'll stop now.

Brian Vickery 02-23-2001 03:15 PM

Well, my name is right there on the left; I'm 40; 7 years in Aikido, rank of nidan; style is Aikibujutsu Tanren Kenkyukai (founded by Toshishiro Obata Sensei); I've studied briefly in Shinkendo and Tae Kwon Do; located in Gilbert Arizona. I'm 6'1", 180 lbs.

Nick 02-23-2001 03:29 PM

Let's settle this dispute--

I'm probably the shortest here, 5'8 (I think that's about 160 cm, though I failed my metrics test in 7th grade) and 160 lb of pure muscle *cough*...

Nick

[Edited by Nick on February 23, 2001 at 03:32pm]

Octavio 02-23-2001 04:33 PM

I think I'm the shortest Nick. I'm 5'8 and 26 yrs old. Your still growing. I weigh 158 lbs gained about 10 lbs of muscle lifting. Anyways my name and school/style are at the bottom and currently I'm 1st kyu. I also train in jeet kune do and kali for about 1.5 yrs and tkd when I was younger.

lecek 02-23-2001 04:48 PM

I am Mike

Hello I am Michael J. Humenny and I have been in Yoshinkan Aikido for about 8 months now. Mostly I just read threads instead of reply to them.

Michael J. Humenny

lecek 02-23-2001 04:50 PM

Oh yeah

I am 5' 7"

Michael J. Humenny

kgh 02-24-2001 04:04 AM

Who me?

My name is Kris Honeycutt.
I will be 27 on March 1st and am all of 5'8", 160lbs.

I've been active in the martial arts for about 17 years now. The first 14-15 of that was spent in TKD and dabbling in Jujutsu and Escrima. My only rank is in TKD, in which I hold a nidan. While living in Indianapolis, Indiana, I trained at the Dojo (www.the-dojo.com) for a little over a year. Training there is pretty eclectic. I wouldnt call it aikido, but there are aiki concepts, as well as jujutsu, kenpo, jodo, iai and other assorted goodies (shoto, tessen, hanbo). Great training and people. If you are near or passing by, I suggest dropping an email to Chuck Gorden (chuck@the-dojo.com) and see about "playing" with the gang.

I now live in the Kagawa prefecture of Japan and study Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu.

sceptoor 02-24-2001 03:29 PM

Christopher Martin here. I'm 31 years old,(April 19th, 1969) 5'7", 165 lbs. I train at the University of South Florida Aikido club in Tampa under Joe Oglesby sensei, Evelyne Williams sensei, and Gary Clementi sensei- http://ctr.usf.edu/aikido/

Our club is an extension of the St. Petersburg dojo under John Messores sensei(6th dan), student of Saotome Shihan(ASU).- http://ctr.usf.edu/aikido/dojo/

I've been training on and off for about 2 years,(unfortunately not often enough to qualify for testing) and now 3 nights a week for the past 5 months. I'll finally be testing for my 6th Kyu within two weeks!!:D

(Christ I'm a midget compared to some of you people!!)

Kenn 02-24-2001 06:58 PM

Sceptor,

I have tried to reach you throught this forum several times, yet you have either not seen my posts or are ignoring me.

Anyway, I too am from Tampa Florida. I am just under 6' and weigh about 225.

I am 33 years old and study at the Hyde Park Aikikai under Arakawa Sensei, a student of Yamada Sensei.

Peace, Kenn

Greg Jennings 02-24-2001 07:10 PM

I've been studying Aikido for just under six years under Ron Myers Sensei at Capital City Aikido in Montgomery, AL.

I'm that lowest of creatures: a shodan. I mostly lurk here and on the Aikido Journal and E-Budo forums. At my level of (in)experience, I don't feel I have much to contribute.

As for the style of Aikido I study, well sometimes that's a very good question. We try very hard to stay true to the way that Moriyama Sensei taught Myers Sensei. Moriyama Sensei is a student (as much as a 7th dan is a student) of Saito Sensei's.

I'm 6'2" and here at the end of winter, I'm a well-larded 193 lbs. I'm 38, have been married for 12 years and have a couple of young kids.

Best Regards,

Dajo251 02-24-2001 07:18 PM

My name is Dan I am 16, and I have been training for two years under Glenn Webber Sensei at Rhode Island Aikikai and am currently looking for a new dojo

lt-rentaroo 02-24-2001 09:41 PM

Hello,

My name is Louis (just like it says at the bottom) and I've been studying Aikido for approximately six years. Just like Mr. Jennings (hello Greg); I'm also the lowliest of creatures, a Shodan. I train mainly in the Aikikai style under Shihan Fumio Toyoda (AAA), but since I get to travel a bit I also train in other styles as well. By the way, if you're ever in Montgomery, Alabama (USA) I recommend giving the folks at Capital City Aikido a call, I trained with them for a few days while I was visiting and learned some really great stuff.

Anyways, I'm 27 years old and an Officer in the United States Air Force. I currently live in Wyoming and teach beginners Aikido classes for the base Youth Center. My wife tells me that I spend too much time reading the Aikiweb forums, and she is probably right since I should be working on the research paper for my Masters Degree right now. Back to work!

AikidoSteve 02-25-2001 12:05 AM

Steve here - 43 years old this summer, 5'10" 195lbs, shodan, started about 1987 in Santa Fe NM, took some time off and am now practicing in Golden (Denver) Colo. Wondering how to contact guy that got me interested in Aikido in Santa Fe about 1982. Last known location Seattle, WA area - name Paul Sonya - he was from south of Boston Mass. - Worked in accounting or Financial Mgmt. - Will start a thread someday asking "Where is Paul?"

Greg Jennings 02-25-2001 10:35 AM

Quote:

lt-rentaroo wrote:
Just like Mr. Jennings (hello Greg);
Hi Louis! I've enjoyed your posts.

Quote:

I'm also the lowliest of creatures, a Shodan.

A good shodan: Polite and humble.

Quote:

By the way, if you're ever in Montgomery, Alabama (USA) I recommend giving the folks at Capital City Aikido a call, I trained with them for a few days while I was visiting and learned some really great stuff.
Myers Sensei said to say "Hi" and "Thank you very much" for the plug.

Best Regards,

Brian 02-25-2001 03:25 PM

Brian Kerg, Hero in a Half Shell...

My name is Brian Kerg, and I have aged 16 years. I'm 6'.03" and 165 lbs. I study Tomiki style under Steve Wood Sensei at the YMCA Mezanene here in good 'ol Piqua, Ohio. I've studied for about seven months, and am ranked at sixth kyu.

Upon realizing that I seemed only to respond to controversial threads that didn't seem to get anywhere and ended up being debates of things that had nothing to do with aikido, I decided to content myself with lurking, and now I only respond when an important part of a conversation has yet to be brought up, which doesn't happen very often. Nevertheless, I pride myself on being the only Brian on this forum who can claim the user name of "Brian." So Nah-nah, nah-nah, nah!

Ah, yes, and I'm also prone to sudden fits of immaturity (see "nah-nahs" aboave).