AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Humor (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   The language barrier. (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1566)

Jonathan 02-24-2002 12:37 PM

The language barrier.

A few months ago a Filipino woman came to my dojo to train. She had only been in Canada a relatively short time and didn't speak English well. During one practice I had left one of the doors to the dojo ajar to get a draught moving across the mats from the windows. The class began to practice a technique that required a kosa-dori grab. Two students were practicing with the Filipino woman (there were an odd number of students that night) so at one point she was sitting out watching the other two practice the technique. They were not grabbing kosa-dori so I began to say to them repeatedly "Kosa-dori, kosa-dori!". Suddenly, the Filipino woman leapt up, ran over to the door, and closed it. I, of course, asked why she had closed the door. She looked at me blankly and, in her strong Filipino accent, responded, "What do you mean? You kept saying 'close the doorie, close the doorie'.

We all had a good laugh. :D (Hope you do , too.)

JJF 02-25-2002 04:51 AM

He he... good one.

Reminds me of one time during kendo-practice.... we usually did some warming up including jumping up and down on the spot - then switching to jumping back and forth and from side to side. She shift in direction was announced in japanese so jumping sideways was simply called 'yoko' - might not be proper japanese but we loved the 'authensicity' of the sound ;). At one time a japanses foreign student joined our little dojo, and her name happend to be - well you guessed it - 'Yoko'. Imagine our expression when she first did warm up with us and replied to the 'yoko' command with a loud 'Hai ?' :D

ndiegel 02-25-2002 08:53 AM

Miscommunication always makes us laugh. :)

Noah

erikmenzel 03-23-2002 04:55 PM

Hi,
a japanese girl at our dojo came up to me and ask me if I could help her with the saltthrowing technique.
I did not understand.
After some minutes we figured out that I had been pronouncing Shiho Nage like Shio Nage.

Since she joined our club I know how much my japanese and japanese promounciation suck.:D

Largo 03-24-2002 06:08 PM

Quote:

Shio Nage
The "salt throw"!?!? and next week on the iron chef...

:)

Chris Li 03-24-2002 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by erikknoops
Hi,
a japanese girl at our dojo came up to me and ask me if I could help her with the saltthrowing technique.
I did not understand.
After some minutes we figured out that I had been pronouncing Shiho Nage like Shio Nage.

Since she joined our club I know how much my japanese and japanese promounciation suck.:D

When my wife (who's Japanese) trained in Hawaii she couldn't understand what any of the American teachers were saying when they used Japanese. I usually had to translate from Japanese (American pronunciation) to Japanese (Japanese pronunciation) :) .

Best,

Chris

bulevardi 02-04-2010 03:48 AM

Re: The language barrier.

Quote:

Noah Diegel wrote: (Post 16753)
Miscommunication always makes us laugh. :)

In another thread I read this quote some time ago:
Quote:

Ignatius Teo wrote: (Post 251306)
But as a starting point, power development in Aikido is vastly simplified in the forms of 2 primary exercises - funekogi undo for forward/backward power, and bokken suburi for up/down power.

I was thinking by myself: if you are doing funegaki undo, is it possible to undo that action afterwards again?

I first read undo as the english language.

Anne-Marieke van Rooij 05-11-2010 02:41 PM

Re: The language barrier.

Quote:

Dirk Desmet wrote: (Post 251620)
In another thread I read this quote some time ago:

I was thinking by myself: if you are doing funegaki undo, is it possible to undo that action afterwards again?

I first read undo as the english language.

Same here, I sat here reading the word and my face was like :confused:

And I kept wondering ('till I discoverd the USAF website yesterday) why just about half of the US Air Force people were practicing Aikido. :straightf