AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Supplies (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Kneepads? (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3242)

Judd 01-10-2003 11:19 AM

Kneepads?

Anyone have a recommendation for some good kneepads?

kung fu hamster 01-10-2003 11:45 AM

I would avoid the ones with the bent plastic shields (don't quite know if they're plastic but the ones I am referring to are hard and somewhat unyielding). They may be good for gardening or carpentry but they're way too stiff for aikido. I don't like them for iaido either. Someone had black pads that were soft all the way around but I don't know the brand.

:)

Edward 01-10-2003 11:59 AM

I recommend judo pads such as mizuno or adidas. You can buy them on the net.

Aiki Teacher 01-10-2003 12:07 PM

Re: Kneepads?

Quote:

Judd Mercer (Judd) wrote:

A friend of mine uses the hard skate board knee pads. He loves them He can also spin on a dime during knee work.

Judd 01-10-2003 12:12 PM

Thanks for all the leads! A girl at our school has some that are thick and super squishy and have a whole behind the knee to keep circulation going. That's kinda what I was looking for.

Greg Jennings 01-10-2003 02:50 PM

I'd like to wear knee pads. I don't think thick ones would be necessary.

The problem I've had is that any knee pad, knee brace, wrap, etc. that covers the crease behind my knee makes seiza very uncomfortable.

If anyone finds a knee pad that leaves that area open, please let me know the brand.

Best Regards,

tedehara 01-10-2003 06:09 PM

Quote:

Judd Mercer (Judd) wrote:

Depending on your size, I would recommend either the kneelons or kneechaps from Floating Mountain.

They are more pricy than normal kneepads, but its cheaper than knee replacement. They're comfortable too. I've used a pair of kneelons for several years with no complaints.

These kneepads are open in the back, using neoprene straps with velcro closures.

Greg Jennings 01-10-2003 08:56 PM

Re: Re: Kneepads?

Quote:

Ted Ehara (tedehara) wrote:
Depending on your size, I would recommend either the kneelons or kneechaps from Floating Mountain.

Wooo hooo! Thanks. I'll order a pair as soon as I recover from buying my laptop, router, UPS, USB hub, KVM switch and 100 feet of CAT-5 UTP.

Yep. Serious geek-age at the Jennings household.

Best Regards,

diesel 01-11-2003 10:25 AM

I just picked up a pair of nike knee pads at sports authority. The knee has a kind of ribbed jell and plastic frame. Really nice and $20..

Russ UK 01-11-2003 03:28 PM

I wouldn't use them - not that I'm suggesting you don't but my argument would be - if you had to perform a kneeling technique for real you'd be at a disadvanatge unless you happened to have them on at the time, eg in the pub! Although it's uncomfortable initially, you'll soon condition yourself to suwari waza and your suwari waza will be the better for it.

diesel 01-11-2003 05:21 PM

Quote:

Russ UK wrote:
I wouldn't use them - not that I'm suggesting you don't but my argument would be - if you had to perform a kneeling technique for real you'd be at a disadvanatge unless you happened to have them on at the time, eg in the pub! Although it's uncomfortable initially, you'll soon condition yourself to suwari waza and your suwari waza will be the better for it.

But if you are recovering from a knee injury, knee pads are a great way to slowly work back into trainging...

Greg Jennings 01-11-2003 06:41 PM

Quote:

Russ UK wrote:

Although I think the whole argument of "if you had to do it for real" is pretty much a non-player for many of us, think about this:

What if after 20 years of doing suwariwaza your knees are so messed up that you can't do technique at all, dang sure can't do kneeling techniques (btw, never saw the opportunity for one in 6 years as a bouncer) and can't even walk to the freaking pub?

Best Regards,

Remo 11-10-2004 01:16 PM

I picked up a pair of * Bike Tri-flex knee pads at Modell's, retail is about $ 12 US. They stay in place, and not too thick. :)

Janet Rosen 11-10-2004 01:53 PM

I have friends who swear by soft, very padded kneepads made for vollleyball.
My own preference, when I did suwariwaza, was to make a padding inside the gi pants of layers of pellon fleece quilted to a lightwt cotton, from mid knee to mid shin along the front of the pantslegs, so that when I turned in suwariwaza it felt like being on a potholder, and when I accidentally slammed down on a knee in ukemi, no bruising would result.

wxyzabc 11-10-2004 04:32 PM

I dont know if you can get them in the States but over here in Japan "Montbell" (climbing/outdoor store)....they have a USA website... do some really nice pads which are open at the front and are really warm and flexible :)

pezalinski 02-17-2005 02:55 PM

I'm a fan of the kneelons -- I've owned two pair :D (yes, you can wear out the neoprene, if you try hard enough!). Strange thing is, though, I don't use them much any more. Essentially, I now treat them like a super-duper athletic knee wrap, rather than as a daily-use tool.

I started using them to cushion my knees when I was an uchi-deshi at my old dojo. Working out 5-6 days a week, as a Sankyu and then Nikyu, the knee-pain started to get to me. And that got habit forming: I would wear them for every class. I found out, after a while, that they negatively altered my ukemi and my techniques -- I'm able to put more weight on my forward knees, and do so (rather than remain centered), and I started to rely on the padding to cushion my knees during a fall, rather than relying on good ukemi form. Basically, they encouraged me to get sloppy.

Since my knees were no longer really bothering me, I stopped wearing them. And both my ukemi and suwariwaza techniques seemed to improve.

Now I only use them when I'm sore and tired, and when pain in my knees seems to hold me back... As I get older, I foresee more frequent use. :rolleyes:

DevinHammer 02-17-2005 03:49 PM

Anyone I know who uses Trace knee pads (including myself) raves about them being second to none. Check them out at:
http://www.softball.com/softball/pro...roductDesc=100

but they can be had much cheaper at:
http://batterschoice.com/product_inf...roducts_id=780

Note: They are sold individually, so you must order two to get a pair.

syraikidoka 02-17-2005 08:32 PM

You may want to grab a pair if Asics GEL kneepads, they are thin, light, stretchy and squishy. They are intended for wrestling (freestyle/folkstyle, not professional). Many of my teammates and I wore them in High School. If they can handle the beating of seasons worth of take downs and sprawls, they can handle a little suwari waza. They also should give you no problem under your gi as they are basically neoprene and a gel pad. Additionally, they are cheap - in the USD $12 - $15 dollar range.

If you get them, do your uke a favor and wash them occasionally, Those little puppies can get to reeeeeeekin sumptin' fierce : )

Mike