AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Training (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   training with women (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188)

chrisinbrasil 10-03-2000 04:41 PM

Off topic so ignore this...

Quote:

Cas Long wrote:
Just chill: women make good Linguists as well as excellent Aikidoka.

I would love to train with you!

Regards.....

Hi Cas,
R U a linguist? I donīt see an email for you.
At your service,
Christopher

Cas Long 10-03-2000 05:56 PM

Christopher.......

Why do you ask?!

I do not provide my private E-Mail address, how can I be of service?

Regards.....

marga 10-06-2000 07:13 PM

Hi
being very new to Aikido (1 month), of course I know absolutely nothing, but I have been observing the dynamics between myself (a woman) and the other aikido practitioners, both male and female.

The only person who has bruised me during practice is a woman, and it was the very first time we ever practiced together!!!!! She was testing my mettle. Or so I assumed from her facial expression and other body language.

Sometimes the guys (some of them) get a little soft and mushy around the eyes, and I know that they in some ways limit their aggressive acts because of their soft mushiness. I don't mind that unless they start aikido-ing in a useless way. Then I withdraw somewhat until they regain sanity.

Personal philosophy: I think that you can practice anything and have fun at it. (fun can include low-level flirting, ie/ mushiness around the eyes)

There is a male rookie at our dojo as well, sometimes I see a little extra force being used against him when he's uke than when the same nage is squishing *me* into the mat. Maybe it's just that particular guy, maybe he emits some sort of "beat me up" vibe. I have never been beaten on in my life, I don't think I emit that vibe.

Overall I have not noticed any interesting levels of sex-specific discrimination. People are easy on me, or slow and deliberate anyway, and I don't think it's cause I'm a girl but rather cause I am me.

Marga

lt-rentaroo 10-06-2000 10:37 PM

Hello all,

I've had the opportunity to train with women by travelling to seminars around the country as well as at my hometown dojo. I personally believe that as Aikido students we are all equal and should be treated as such. When I train with Aikido students who are new to the art, I work with them at a level they are comfortable with regardless of whether they are male or female. My wife and I met while studying Aikido and have been together for two years now. When we train, she expects me to treat her just as I would any other student, and I do. If she wants a strong katatori grab or shomenuchi strike, she gets it. If I were to treat her any different, she would become upset with me. I've found that the majority of the women I've trained with, regardless of rank, want to be treated equally, but at a level they are comfortable with. As a man, lowering the intensity of your attack when working with a women who is more comfortable with training in that fashion makes good sense. You don't want to scare someone away from the art. At the same time, don't get wishy washy with your technique just because your uke is a women. I believe it's important to train in a manner that both partners are comfortable with.

Louis

"Shuchu ryoku" - Focus all your energy to one point

[Edited by lt-rentaroo on October 6, 2000 at 10:41pm]

Elric123 11-02-2000 02:10 AM

Sexism at Hombu Dojo

Just curious, and due to the subject, thought I'd ask.
In Japan, with the sexism that has existd for ever, are women treated differently at Hombu, or have they moved beyond that.

Nubie question sorry??
Trent