AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   Training (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   ki testing...emphasis on both uke and nage getting stronger (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21590)

graham christian 08-15-2012 07:28 PM

Re: ki testing...emphasis on both uke and nage getting stronger

Quote:

Christopher Li wrote: (Post 314219)
People rarely speak the whole truth about themselves, especially in Japan. Anyway, there are plenty of concrete examples where the truth has been "shaded".

After all, his own nephew broke off relations because he didn't consider him to be honorable, no matter what he said about himself.

Best,

Chris

People rarely speak the whole truth about themselves especially in Japan??????? Wow!

I need say no more, more bu needed so you can better your bun perhaps.

Peace.G.

graham christian 08-15-2012 07:33 PM

Quote:

Dan Harden wrote: (Post 314224)
And Inue told people why too. Careful, Chris. You're going to ruin the Jackie Chan, Mr. M!iyagi, Ghandi, vision of Ueshiba certain people have!!
"He traveled to many dojo to learn...and partake and where he could learn he did without a word, uplifting them...where could not....he left only his shadow as a blessing...a whisper heard in the night.....Ueshiba.....shhhh!!
At one famous temple he left a single pebble, snatched from a hand....
Dan

What he said about him and another said about another. Worthless gossip and natter. Unbudo.

Peace.G.

Chris Li 08-15-2012 07:42 PM

Quote:

Graham Christian wrote: (Post 314222)
Ha, ha. Now his Nephew is the 'right' one. Please.......His nephew was also quite a great charachter and co-founder of Aikido.

I think you twist it once again to suit. They had a personal disagreement. Because he didn't consider him to be honourable....ha, ha, good joke.

He certainly didn't find someone to be honourable and we all know who that is.

Peace.G.

I never said he was right, it's more complex than that - but every argument has two sides and Ueshiba wasn't always on the right one.

Best,

Chris

Chris Li 08-15-2012 07:44 PM

Quote:

Graham Christian wrote: (Post 314225)
People rarely speak the whole truth about themselves especially in Japan??????? Wow!

I need say no more, more bu needed so you can better your bun perhaps.

Peace.G.

Sure, it's so ingrained in the culture that they have specific words for the concept.

Best,

Chris

graham christian 08-15-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Christopher Li wrote: (Post 314231)
Sure, it's so ingrained in the culture that they have specific words for the concept.

Best,

Chris

Every culture has words for it. Anyway I'm ending this discussion here as it leads nowhere.

Ki testing is the subject.

Peace.G.

Basia Halliop 08-15-2012 07:54 PM

Quote:

Graham Christian wrote: (Post 314193)
During practice of anything a person fails many times, that's why it's called practice.

You don't need to test to it then do you? It's already built in and acknowledged by the understanding of what practice is.

Ah, I see! It seems we're simply thinking of different things when we say 'testing'. I was thinking of the many tiny moments that happen all the time in practice, when we repeatedly try an exercise or technique many times, sometimes successfully and sometimes not... I'm also thinking of situations where I, for example, deliberately make _myself_ fail in a specific task in some exercise or technique, as a little experiment to see what works or doesn't.

Chris Li 08-15-2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Graham Christian wrote: (Post 314233)
Every culture has words for it. Anyway I'm ending this discussion here as it leads nowhere.

Ki testing is the subject.

Peace.G.

But not all cultures are the same or place the same emphasis on certain cultural conventions, and Japan is well known in this area. Anyway, I agree that it has little to do with the subject.

Best,

Chris

Basia Halliop 08-15-2012 08:08 PM

Quote:

Graham Christian wrote: (Post 314193)
There are those who encourage others and flow from the view of "you can" then there are those who are out to prove "you can't" and enjoy failure.

I've met many who were tested to failure and gave up. Bad teaching.

While this is a very real possibility and something to beware of, I can also think of many very positive interactions I had where I did not always 'succeed'. The tone of the interactions I'm thinking of was not negative or competitive and I had no sense that my partner was trying to prove I couldn't do it or show off that they were better than me (and I've definitely had those interactions too so I can feel the difference!)

It felt much more like a brainstorming session. We would end up identifying weaknesses in what one or both of us were doing and often then collaborating to come up with ideas to improve the weaknesses, or if we couldn't come up with one at the moment, mulling it over later or asking Sensei about it at a later time. For me when it does work well it's more exciting or intriguing than particularly demoralizing...

graham christian 08-15-2012 08:19 PM

Quote:

Basia Halliop wrote: (Post 314236)
While this is a very real possibility and something to beware of, I can also think of many very positive interactions I had where I did not always 'succeed'. The tone of the interactions I'm thinking of was not negative or competitive and I had no sense that my partner was trying to prove I couldn't do it or show off that they were better than me (and I've definitely had those interactions too so I can feel the difference!)

It felt much more like a brainstorming session. We would end up identifying weaknesses in what one or both of us were doing and often then collaborating to come up with ideas to improve the weaknesses, or if we couldn't come up with one at the moment, mulling it over later or asking Sensei about it at a later time. For me when it does work well it's more exciting or intriguing than particularly demoralizing...

I like it and agree 100% Basia. In fact more than that 1000% ha, ha. My favourite way of practice.

Peace.G.

akiy 08-15-2012 09:29 PM

Despite my asking for an improvement in tone here in this thread, it doesn't seem like the tone has improved any.

Thread closed.

-- Jun