PDA

View Full Version : using my hara

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

karim\\\
03-11-2006, 07:54 PM
um a new student in aikido, and wanted to know do i have to concentrate on using my hara in my training and train on using the ki energy.....actually a don't know what is the ki for sure is it a mystical power or what ?:) i once heard that it's an energy whichcan be maximized by breathing training but i don't know for sure.

Mark Uttech
03-11-2006, 11:25 PM
If you just focus on your out-breath, your exhalation, you will get some idea about the art of peace.

karim\\\
03-11-2006, 11:32 PM
just focus on me out-breath??why the out-breath and not the inhilation??

Tennessee Mike
03-12-2006, 01:25 AM
Welcome to aikido. I see that you have been posting several questions and I will try to answer this one. I find that it is probably best for home practice to work on flexibility exercises, balance and basic footwork exercises that you usually do at the start of class.

I also suggest that you use the search function of the forum. There is a lot of information from senior students and teachers here that will go a long way to answering questions. Also look up aikido FAQ and Aikido Journal on the Internet. They both have a lot of information.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy aikido.

jss
03-12-2006, 05:35 AM
I also suggest that you use the search function of the forum. There is a lot of information from senior students and teachers here that will go a long way to answering questions.

Not that long ago there were several threads on aikiweb about ki, kokyu, hara, etc. More info as well on www.aikidojournal.com (blogs by Ellis Amdur) and on www.e-budo.com.

rottunpunk
03-12-2006, 08:43 AM
a quick extra question if i may. ive been wondering about this one for a while.
i have a good knowledge (thanks to one of the japanese sensei and his drawings etc.) of the physical requirements for using hara in mjer iai. is hara in iai the same as in aiki with respect to the physical movement of muscles?

karim, the outbreath in applying techniques adds power and flexibility because of the way the muscles move. thats what i found anyway. i could be wrong.
:p

SeiserL
03-12-2006, 11:40 AM
IMHO, first just try to originate your movement from your hips. Helps maintain focus and moving your body as a unit. Later, enter/blend with inhalation, redirect/execute/throw with exhalation. Hold a circular path of execution in mind.

Don't focus on too many things all at once, especially the beginning, it can be overwhelming. Just relax, breath, enjoy the training.

karim\\\
03-12-2006, 01:29 PM
IMHO, first just try to originate your movement from your hips. Helps maintain focus and moving your body as a unit. Later, enter/blend with inhalation, redirect/execute/throw with exhalation. Hold a circular path of execution in mind.

Don't focus on too many things all at once, especially the beginning, it can be overwhelming. Just relax, breath, enjoy the training.
does the technique required to be excuted fast in the early stage or not. I just wanna what i must concentrate on coz i'm a beginner & i don't know what to concentratte on while um executing the techniques in my training.

deborah, can u tell me where r these drawings.

SeiserL
03-12-2006, 06:00 PM
does the technique required to be excuted fast in the early stage or not. I just wanna what i must concentrate on coz i'm a beginner & i don't know what to concentratte on while um executing the techniques in my training.
To learn faster, go slower to begin with to get them correct. bad habits are hard to overcome.

rottunpunk
03-13-2006, 09:40 AM

deborah, can u tell me where r these drawings.

id say slow and smooth is better. im a beginner as well, rushing the technique can lead to bad habits as well as a risk of injury if control is lost.

i dont know if the drawings are available anywhere on the net. they will be in a book written by two of my iai senior instructors but it is not yet published.

ask your teacher. using hara (as well as most things in martial arts are better shown not explained in writing)

karim\\\
03-13-2006, 10:05 AM
id say slow and smooth is better. im a beginner as well, rushing the technique can lead to bad habits as well as a risk of injury if control is lost.

i dont know if the drawings are available anywhere on the net. they will be in a book written by two of my iai senior instructors but it is not yet published.

ask your teacher. using hara (as well as most things in martial arts are better shown not explained in writing)
wow thnx y'all

karim\\\
03-13-2006, 10:56 AM

does every technique has it's own breathing sequence or all like u stated.

karim\\\
03-13-2006, 10:58 AM
Welcome to aikido. I see that you have been posting several questions and I will try to answer this one. I find that it is probably best for home practice to work on flexibility exercises, balance and basic footwork exercises that you usually do at the start of class.

I also suggest that you use the search function of the forum. There is a lot of information from senior students and teachers here that will go a long way to answering questions. Also look up aikido FAQ and Aikido Journal on the Internet. They both have a lot of information.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy aikido.
thnx

karim\\\
03-18-2006, 06:20 AM

to originate the movement from my hips i must have the right stance first rigtht??

SeiserL
03-18-2006, 01:19 PM
to originate the movement from my hips i must have the right stance first rigtht??
IMHO, yes, the correct stance has the correct structural alignment which is maintained throughout your movement.

Amir Krause
03-21-2006, 03:42 AM
Karim

I have a very simple suggestion for you. Simply do the techniques you learn correctly to the best of your understanding, just like your teacher is teaching you. Do not try to accelerate your training in any artificial manner, for most people, this only slows you down.

For example, if you still have difficulty with placing your hands correctly and making the right steps, then trying to make the power come from your hips and concentrating on breathing, will take away your concentration from the basic elements of the technique, and your execution will not advance.

The right way to learn is step by step. You start by laying out the foundations, only then can you continue to build. When learning, we start from the edges (palm of hands, feet) to the center, though the center is more important for Aikido, it is almost impossible to learn to use it correctly in a direct manner, hence you start from points it is easier for you to learn and progress in a gradual manner.

Amir