PDA

View Full Version : Intro - Newbie to Forum

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

towers1209
02-21-2006, 07:21 PM
Hi,

I am glad that I found this forum. I am retracing my "old roots" in Aikido back in the early 80's in the Philippines when I started Aikido in Philippine Aikikai with John Tenegra (Is he and Manuel "Omar" Camar one and the same person? I really want to get to the bottom of this). I got my 6th kyu but stopped after that when life became a little complicated.

I am now looking at Aikido with a different mindset, now that I have been more involved in the study and personal application of Buddhism/Taoism/Confucianism. I now see it as a spiritual practice; and not just another martial arts or physical exercise.

I am thinking of doing Aikido again here in New Jersey, USA. But, before I even step into a dojo, I am researching and (re)learning as much as I can about the roots Aikido and I want to make sure that I have the proper (no-)mind set.

Thanks,
Loreto
:triangle: :square: :circle:

Michael O'Brien
02-21-2006, 09:03 PM
Welcome from Nashville, Tn.

I wish you the best as you prepare to start your training again.

crbateman
02-21-2006, 09:06 PM
Welcome back, Loreto. Really want to research? Grab everything you can read by John Stevens, Stanley Pranin, Mitsuge Saotome, Yoshimitsu Yamada, Gozo Shioda, Koichi Tohei, Morihiro Saito, Kisshomaru and Moriteru Ueshiba, Susan Perry, and Phong Thong Dang, for starters. There are others. Write me if you need more ideas, or want to concentrate on a particular time, style, or subject.

akiy
02-22-2006, 12:31 AM
Hi Loreto,

Welcome to AikiWeb.

-- Jun

towers1209
02-23-2006, 11:20 AM
... Grab everything you can read by John Stevens, Stanley Pranin, Mitsuge Saotome, Yoshimitsu Yamada, Gozo Shioda, Koichi Tohei, Morihiro Saito, Kisshomaru and Moriteru Ueshiba, Susan Perry, and Phong Thong Dang, for starters. There are others...

Thanks for the suggestions. I am currently going through Saotome's books -- Aikido and the Harmony of Nature and Principles of Aikido -- and George Leonard's Mastery.

Loreto
:circle: :do: