PDA

View Full Version : Training DVD or Books

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Dan Takaoka
02-13-2006, 11:43 PM
Any recommended ones for new Aikido students especially ones that go over terminology. Any info thanks

asiawide
02-14-2006, 03:44 AM
'Thorson's Principles of Aikido' by Paul Wildish is quite helpful for the general knowledge about aikido. For techniques, 'Total Aikido' is awesome regardless of the style of the students. Aikido FAQ site is useful too(http://www.aikidofaq.com).

Jaemin

Edwin Neal
02-14-2006, 08:06 AM
aikido and dynamic sphere is pretty good except for technique names... dynamic aikido by shioda sensei... aikido kyohan by suenaka sensei... budo by Osensei... all very good for students of all levels...

ian
02-14-2006, 09:29 AM
Despite not being a Yoshinkan person, I still think Total aikido (as mentioned above) by Shioda is one of the best books on the market for beginners to learn techniques.

As Edwin said, the dynamic sphere is quite systematic and comprehensive, but doesn't name all the techniques. Buy it, write the technique names at the top of each technique page, and give it to the student (that's what I did)!

Edwin Neal
02-14-2006, 09:52 AM
i did that too Ian!

Nick Simpson
02-15-2006, 05:18 AM
'' Despite not being a Yoshinkan person, I still think Total aikido (as mentioned above) by Shioda is one of the best books on the market for beginners to learn techniques.''

I cant agree more, this is my all time favourite book on the subject of aikido. I train in an 'aikikai' style and I got this book after a few weeks of practise and found it to be excellent. I still get a huge amount from it now, well worth its price. Aikido Basics by Dang and Seiser is also a really valuable resource for someone who is thinking about beggining or has just begun. Great writing style and lots of advice on protocol and ettiquette etc etc.

SeiserL
02-15-2006, 08:55 AM
Aikido Basics by Dang and Seiser is also a really valuable resource for someone who is thinking about beggining or has just begun. Great writing style and lots of advice on protocol and ettiquette etc etc.
Thanks for that. The new one should be out today.

I personally am a big fan of the Ueshiba books and tapes, all of them. Go to the source.

Now, quit being a spectator, and get back to training. ;-)

Nick Simpson
02-15-2006, 09:45 AM
'The new one should be out today'

Cool, I'll check it out soon :)

justin
02-15-2006, 09:56 AM
i found this a good read
"Progressive Aikido: The Essential Elements" by Moriteru Ueshiba

pezalinski
02-16-2006, 03:55 PM
A Beginner's Guide to Aikido, by Reynosa, Larry
Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere: An Illustrated Introduction, by Westbrook, Adele