View Full Version : Poll: How did you find your first aikido dojo?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

AikiWeb System
02-05-2006, 12:30 AM
AikiWeb Poll for the week of February 5, 2006:

How did you find your first aikido dojo?

I don't do aikido
Word of mouth
Telephone book
Newspaper ad/article
Magazine ad/article
University information
Dojo "storefront"

Here are the current results (http://www.aikiweb.com/polls/results.html?poll_id=310).

Jerry Miller
02-05-2006, 01:39 AM
My first Aikido dojo was at the YMCA. I was a young teenager and doing volunteer work at the summer day camp. I first tried Judo and then Aikido. Aikido is what took. It was a trade for the work I did during the summer. It was none of the above. I was lucky in that I had a very good instructor. I was unlucky that my family moved. But hey I would not have walked into a dojo 30 years later if not for that earlier experience. My current dojo was found by walking by the storefront. It had a good location.

02-05-2006, 10:49 PM
I took an introductory Aikido course at the college and was hooked instantly. I had tried Karate, Judo, and a few other martial arts before, but never really cared for any of them. For sure it had more to do with the instructor than the art itself. Before then I had never met a martial arts instructor I could even stand to be around. After that I've managed to find several Aikido instructors who have changed my life.

02-06-2006, 03:58 PM
The university club is nearby and affordable - I'll visit the Shihan across the bay when my back gets a little stronger.

Speaking of personalities: we have six or seven instructors who train in rotation. The most genial - is the one who looks (and is) the toughest, and (carefully) teaches the most brutal jujitsu - with an emphasis on aiki! This fellow will discuss lethal knife attack points, then have us close our eyes, and still ourselves to develop 'sensitivity'.

Aikido is marvelous isn't it?