View Full Version : Greetings!

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

02-01-2006, 11:43 AM
Hi All,

My name is Aaron. I've been training in Aikido for about five months now. I found this site because I'm currently sidelined with a knee injury and have been seeking the experience of others who have been in like predicaments.

This also seems like a good way of getting a vicarious Aikido fix while I'm unable to train. :) Hopefully I'll be back on the mat next week, though. I find that throwing people, and getting thrown, does wonders for my peace of mind.

Janet Rosen
02-01-2006, 12:08 PM
don't rush back to training. take time to heal.

02-01-2006, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the advice, and the information! I appreciate your help. It is hard not to rush back, isn't it? Believe me, this isn't the first sports-related injury I've sustained. My right shoulder beats the local weather service every time. But my doctor's orders were for two weeks out, which sentence I have nearly served. There's no indication of serious damage, just very slight swelling and soreness. RICE and I are very close friends! :D All the same, if I still feel any soreness in my knee come Monday, I will sit out...though it will be hard.

The fantastic irony of all of this is that I came to Aikido from Shotokan, which I believed was getting a bit rough on my joints. Go figure!

02-01-2006, 12:40 PM
Hi Aaron,

Welcome to AikiWeb. Take care of your knees...

-- Jun

Karen Wolek
02-01-2006, 01:45 PM
Hi Aaron! Welcome!

5 months into my aikido training, I too injured my knee. It was a sprain. Man, did it hurt! Unfortunately, I did not take the advice of my teachers and friends (hi, Janet), and did not rest it nearly enough. Because of that, it took 5 months to finally heal! If I had just taken a couple weeks off right away, I'm sure it would have healed much faster.

That was my first "sport-related" injury ever. I train a little smarter now, three years later. You are much wiser than I was, ha!

Heal quickly.

02-01-2006, 02:41 PM
Last week, which unfortunately was rainy and nasty here in PA, my knee was sore and stiff enough that walking was really no fun. This week, it's painless and only apprehension about re-injuring it kept me from class.

Did you do any particular exercises to help re-hab the knee? This is my first knee injury, and I'm eager to help it out as much as I can.

May the Force be with you!

Karen Wolek
02-01-2006, 03:26 PM
Eventually I went to physical therapy. But I think if I had just rested it, I would have healed and wouldn't have needed the PT. At some points, I thought the PT was making it worse, so who knows?

02-01-2006, 07:07 PM
Aaron, you can use the down time to read and watch videos, attend seminars as a spectator, lurk the boards, and otherwise keep your Aikido "buzz" going. But take care of your knees, and don't test them too soon. Re-injury or aggravation can happen easily, and if it becomes chronic, you will pay for it for a l-o-n-g time. Listen to your doctor.

02-02-2006, 05:09 AM
Thanks everyone, for the words of caution. It's good to hear them from people who have done this longer than I have. A knee seems to require a higher degree of respect than my usual bumps and bruises. I chose Aikido because it seemed like something I could do for a long time, and I suppose it is worth taking the time to heal up.

Perhaps I will go to class on Monday as a spectator. It's just good to be at the Dojo, and I can still learn something by watching.

02-02-2006, 08:45 PM
Yes, you can. Aikido is not something you just do on the mat. For many, it's a way of thinking, a way of acting. If yours is a large dojo, there are probably many things your instructor could use help with while you're sidelined. Things like sitting with people who come to watch and answering their questions, helping new students get started (learning the right way to put on a gi or tie an obi or getting acquainted with the dojo rules or learning the Japanese terminologies, for instance). People will pick up on your enthusiasm, and it will be infectious. And you will be that much closer to getting back in the swing of things when you are able to get back on the mat. Aikido is about helping others while you help yourself. It's definitely win-win.

02-06-2006, 06:24 AM
Well, mine is not a large dojo, but I do find that just being there helps me keep carrying the state of mind that I achieve during practice into life outside the dojo. Which is why I'll still go today, even if I'm not training.

My primary concern, though, apart from getting this knee healthy, is that I'll be tremendously rusty when I come back. Hopefully it won't be too much of a struggle to get back in the swing.