PDA

View Full Version : The seminar I've been waiting years for.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

DaveO
01-16-2006, 12:56 PM
'Lo!

This isn't directly aikido related, but I just wanted to tell everyone:

As many here are aware; I am less a student of classical aikido than I am of self defense. Well; one of the most experienced and well-regarded instructors in that field is Marc 'Animal' MacYoung (http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com) - I also count him as a good friend.

Well; after almost 3 years, I've finally managed to set up a seminar with him at my club! I could have done so any time; but regardless of the respect I hold for his writing and opinions and ignoring the fact I've come to know him quite well via the Animal List; I wanted to wait until I'd had a chance to meet him in person and recieve instruction from him first-hand. In July I attended the List's annual BBQ and worked personally with him and many of the other fine instructors that populate the List. It was an incredible experiece - the chance to sit down with senior military officers, policemen, federal agents, high-level martial artists, bikers etc. and discuss violence and defense issues on an equal footing (usually with paper plates piled high with incredible food balanced on our laps).
Well; during the course of the BBQ I sat down with Marc and discussed with him my intention to bring him to Kitchener.

The upshot is that on Feb. 18-19, Grreat Wave SD will host Marc MacYoung at Club Olympia! :D

Yippee!

I really am thrilled - I start school in May so this is probably my one chance to set up a seminar with him. I've been talking about real-world defense issues - and about Marc - for a long time; now my friends up here get to experience his teaching first-hand - it's a nice feeling, let me tell ya. :)

Much to do - must run. Cheers!

SeiserL
01-16-2006, 01:53 PM
Please give "Animal" my regards.
Great man.
Have a great time.
Couldn't agree more with your assessment.

DaveO
01-16-2006, 06:22 PM
Thanks Lynn, I certainly will pass on your regards. :)
He definitely is great - at least; as much as any five-foot furry half-demented ferret can be. :D

Cheers!

PeterR
01-16-2006, 06:39 PM
Not meaning to hi-jack the thread but I was training at Club Olympia for a few hours December 30th.

It was a small get-together with an ex-student of mine, Wayne Erdman, Wayne's Judo teacher and my uncle (grew up with Wayne). I like that club. So much under one roof.

DaveO
01-16-2006, 06:52 PM
You were there, Pete? Dayum, I wish I'd known!!

PeterR
01-16-2006, 07:10 PM
Yeah I was pressed for time - otherwise I would have informed a few more people. Next time.

DaveO
01-18-2006, 09:22 PM
Just a quick note Pete: Wayne says 'Hi back'. :)