PDA

View Full Version : Not so New Girl on the Block

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

UnholyFracas
01-16-2006, 04:52 AM
Hello!

I've been wittering on in my aikiblog (and making the occasional foray into the forums) for a while now but I thought I'd take this opportunity to stand up and say hello! :)

I've studied/played at/had my arse kicked by (delete as apropriate :p ) Aikido for about 6 years now and it keeps drawing me back. Last year I took up Choy Li Fut Kung Fu and Iaido... My only regret, as with all things in life, is that I didn't take up all three earlier! :)

Love
Frac

akiy
01-16-2006, 10:12 AM
Hi Lou,

Welcome to AikiWeb. Is "Lou" short for something?

-- Jun

UnholyFracas
01-16-2006, 10:25 AM
Hi Jun! thank you and yes... it's short for Louisa :)

ian
01-16-2006, 12:25 PM
Hi Lou,
I'd be interested in your take on the relationship between the kung-fu and the aikido. Not sure about this style but I presume it incorporates blending.

Ian

UnholyFracas
01-17-2006, 03:16 AM
the relationship between the kung-fu and the aikido.
Ian

Choy Li Fut from what I can gather as I'm not too sure myself, is an amalgam Kung Fu style. For my first grading I'm having to learn a Short Fist Boxing form but it has the 5 animals styles over all and, I believe, a form of drunken boxing much higher up the grades...

It seems very different at the moment. There is the occasional named move which is familiar from Aikido although in Aikido it would just be part of something else.
In Kung Fu we do a thing called sticky hands which is listening (figuratively speaking) for an opening to attack. It feels very much how I imagine Aikido would if it were competitive.

I have to admit I feel too much of a novice at Kung Fu to be comparing them at the moment! Certainly it seems lighter on its feet that Karate (when done well anyway!) and in that way closer to the Aikido principle of blending with your attacker. :)

Not sure if this helps!

ian
01-17-2006, 04:17 AM
Thanks Lou. I have a student who did kung fu and it has certainly made me think about the relationships between them. I am convinced that all martial arts are fundamentally the same at their highest level. In fact I have done a bit of 'push-hands' (not sure if this is the same as sticky hands) in aikido to make beginners think more about their centre. Good luck with it! It sounds like you must have a busy week!

Ian

P.S. like your signature

UnholyFracas
01-17-2006, 06:50 AM
I am convinced that all martial arts are fundamentally the same at their highest level.
P.S. like your signature

Yes I think they are. Certainly the 'push-hands' you mention sound like what we do in Kung Fu and it's something I recognise from my own Aikido lessons.
All the philosophy about victory over the self is definately the same. I have in the past, when asked about Aikido, described it as a cross between Jujitsu and Tai Chi. Might un-nerve the purists but to me it has the moves of the former with the attitude of the latter! :)