PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Aikido Dojo in Guangzhou/China

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

StefanSchroeder
01-16-2006, 03:14 AM
Next month I will stay in Guangzhou/China for two weeks. I am searching for an Aikido dojo there. The AJ and Aikiweb-dojo-listings yield no results, but there must be one, according to a newspaper article I found with Google.

Any help is appreciated.

I need the address in Kanji to show it to a taxi driver, because I don't speak any Chinese at all.

Yours,
Stefan

Amelia Smith
01-16-2006, 06:39 AM
Aikido dojos are thin on the ground in China. There's a small aikido association based in Beijing (look at this site: http://www.china-aikido.net/en/index.html), and then there's another association (possibly the one you saw the article about) which, if I recall correctly, was started by a Chinese wrestler (or something like that) who trained in Japan for a few years.

My experience was that Chinese people tended to have a very strong bias in favor of Chinese Martial arts, and that, combined with historical anti-Japanese sentiments, would make it difficult for aikido to spread far in China. Good luck. Let us know if you visit that dojo.

StefanSchroeder
03-23-2006, 02:02 PM
Finally I returned from my journey to China. Unfortunately I had no chance for any MA training, not only because I had to work during the evenings, but also did I fail to find any further information except the newspaper article on chinadaily. There is a website referenced there, but AFAICT there are only dojos in Beijing listed.
Perhaps better luck next time.
Yours,
Stefan Schroeder
www.aikido-verein-hannover.de

Kevin Leavitt
03-23-2006, 03:52 PM
I was in guanzhou in November. I couldn't even find a decent Tai Chi outfit in the whole city! Apparently they don't really wear them. I found they tend to look at martial arts the way we look at many things that are ubiquitous in our society...it is simply something you do...nothing special!

Edwin Neal
03-24-2006, 08:37 PM
don't know about china, but here is a good one...

Sanbu, Guangdong; China - Sanbu Wadokai
Instuctor: Sonny Roobin Shihan Directions:
Contact: sonnysan99@hotmail.com Please contact Sonny Roobin Shihan for directions.

Address: Sanbu (city)
Guangdong Province
China

Times: Mon, Wed & Fri: 7:30-9:00 PM

el_memo_2.0
02-13-2008, 04:37 AM
Hello there. I too am looking for a dojo in Guangzhou. I haven't yet tried the above contact info (I just read it a second ago, and I don't know where in Guangdong that Sanbu might be located); I am posting this primarily to see if there may be more recent developments in this city..

Any response would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Dennis Hooker
02-13-2008, 06:39 AM
You can contact one of my students who has returned to China to teach Aikido. He may be able to help you.

Boer Zhao bore.zhao@gmail.com

KamiKaze_Evolution
02-14-2008, 01:22 PM
Recognized dojos in China are only available in Shanghai and Peking, those instructors around Guangzhou are lousy instructors (especially Wuyuan chain dojos)

David Yap
02-19-2008, 01:13 AM
Recognized dojos in China are only available in Shanghai and Peking, those instructors around Guangzhou are lousy instructors (especially Wuyuan chain dojos)

Hi Wong,

You've been/trained there? I meant the Wuyuan dojo.

BTW, how do you classify lousy instructors?

David Y