PDA

View Full Version : Books/Videos for Beginners

Please visit our sponsor:

hgc31976
01-12-2006, 09:04 AM
Can any I recommend any good software, books, or videos for beginners??? I just pass my 6th kyu and i want to work on my basics I practice Kokikai-Ryu Aikido

Mark Uttech
01-12-2006, 09:53 AM
An ultimate book to look for is: Aikido The Way of Harmony, by John Stevens. That was the first book i started with, more than 20 years ago, and it gave me a true foundation.

Don_Modesto
01-12-2006, 02:02 PM
Can any I recommend any good software, books, or videos for beginners??? I just pass my 6th kyu and i want to work on my basics I practice Kokikai-Ryu Aikido

Conventional wisdom: Styles differ, ask your teacher. Good luck.

crbateman
01-13-2006, 08:03 AM
Asking your instructor is good advice (thanks, Don). That said, you might also look at a few books on the library or bookstore shelves to see what might seem familiar to your style. Books are really not the way to learn techniques (particularly since naming conventions vary widely) but they are a good way to get in touch with the thinking and history of Aikido and some of its more influential players, as well as getting to know the differences and similarities between styles (which maybe you should wait a while before attempting). Good books, balanced in content and objectivity, include those by Stanley Pranin, John Stevens, Phong Thong Dang and Mitsugi Saotome. Although sometimes a little more style-specific, it's also a good idea to read what you can by Morihiro Saito, Gozo Shioda, Koichi Tohei, Gaku Homma and any of the Ueshiba family. Have fun, but don't sacrifice mat time for your reading.

Mark Freeman
01-20-2006, 09:26 AM
Have fun, but don't sacrifice mat time for your reading.
The best advice so far!

In the early days, books that deal with the history and philosophy of aikido are probably best. Reading Aikido in Daily Life by Koichi Tohei started me on my aikido journey, but I think " The Spirit of Aikido" by K Ueshiba was a great little book for giving a really good overall picture.

Good luck

Mark

Mark Uttech
01-21-2006, 06:15 AM
'The Spirit of Aikido" taught me one great thing: "Don't buddy up to sensei."

Mark Freeman
01-21-2006, 07:40 AM
'The Spirit of Aikido" taught me one great thing: "Don't buddy up to sensei."

Hi Mark, I'm not really sure what that means, could you expand a little, thanks.

Mark

Mark Uttech
01-21-2006, 08:40 AM
I guess what I meant to say, is that reading the book "The Spirit of Aikido" , I distinctly remember reading a passage that advised: "don't buddy up to sensei." And so I never did. I never knew much at all about my sensei's personal life, I looked to them to simply teach me aikido. I think the arrangement worked very well. Even after 20+ years, our relationship is very cordial. Whenever we see one another, we bow. Sometimes we make small talk, sometimes we don't say anything.

Mark Freeman
01-21-2006, 10:16 AM
I guess what I meant to say, is that reading the book "The Spirit of Aikido" , I distinctly remember reading a passage that advised: "don't buddy up to sensei." And so I never did. I never knew much at all about my sensei's personal life, I looked to them to simply teach me aikido. I think the arrangement worked very well. Even after 20+ years, our relationship is very cordial. Whenever we see one another, we bow. Sometimes we make small talk, sometimes we don't say anything.

Thanks for the clarification Mark. The student teacher relationship in aikido is / can be a 'special' relationship in it's own right, so the advice is good. I have seen some pretty messy stuff going on when relationships get in the way of practice ( possibly the subject of a new thread?? I'm sure it must have been discussed before).

Anyway, cheers, :)

Mark