PDA

View Full Version : Whats the Name of Ueshiba's uppercut?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

James Smithe
01-09-2006, 06:02 PM
Whats the name of that atemi where it looks like an uppercut? I saw a video on the net where it looked like he was uppercutting peope.

xuzen
01-09-2006, 08:42 PM
Whats the name of that atemi where it looks like an uppercut? I saw a video on the net where it looked like he was uppercutting peope.

A variation of Shomen tsuki?

AlexisB
01-09-2006, 09:23 PM
Aikicut???

eyrie
01-09-2006, 09:53 PM
An uppercut? Why? Is there a need to "aiki-fy" things?

giriasis
01-09-2006, 10:43 PM
Atemi? I don't think there are specific names used in aikido for various atemi. Well, not at least to my knowledge.

James Smithe
01-09-2006, 10:50 PM
It was weird it was just like an uppercut but he used an open palm.

Sreyan
01-09-2006, 11:23 PM
I think shomen tsuki usually refers to a jodan level oi zuki or gyaku zuki. A boxer's uppercut is more roundhouse like and rises thus i would call it a
Age mawashi uchi ni shomen or maybe
Age mawashi tsuki Jodan.

Then again this is my construction, and since i neither speak japanese nor practice aikido (yet (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/journal.php?do=showjournal&j=7052) ).

Hopefully one of the senior aikidoka here can correct me.

Sreyan
01-09-2006, 11:28 PM
Open palm you say?
Perhaps he was doing a pie in the face style irimi nage?

Regardless the technique of using a palm heel uppercut strike to face is probably
age teisho uchi ni shomen

PeterR
01-09-2006, 11:31 PM
A variation on shomen-ate (front strike)

James Smithe
01-09-2006, 11:47 PM
Thanks for saying it in my language Peter. I have no idea what most of these guys are saying.

Lan Powers
01-10-2006, 12:23 AM
Agu-tsuki (sp?)
Lan

Mat Hill
01-10-2006, 02:22 AM
That's it. His uppercut was called Dave.

Thanks for saying it in my language Peter. I have no idea what most of these guys are saying.You ask for the name of move a Japanese guy did in a Japanese martial art, and you don't want it in Japanese? Riiight. It's Dave the Uppercut to you then :rolleyes:

If you really want to know, different branches of aiki call it different things anyway. Peter is right. As is Age-uchi (Upwards/rising Strike). Age-tsuki (Upwards/rising thrust) may also be correct but I've never heeard it.

Bridge
01-10-2006, 02:27 AM
Striking with palm?

Age-shote-uchi, perhaps?

Derek Gaudet
01-10-2006, 07:36 AM
My old dojo did a technique called Ago-tsuki Nage. Chin strike throw. It sounds kind of like what your talking about. Nasty technique, but effective. Let's just say you have to be on top of your Ukemi, or you get nasty whip lash.

Amelia Smith
01-10-2006, 09:26 AM
I think we call it tsukiage.

DCP
01-10-2006, 09:38 AM
Ago tsuki is just a (rough) type of irimi nage, more descriptive though.

Derek Gaudet
01-10-2006, 10:20 AM
Ago tsuki is just a (rough) type of irimi nage, more descriptive though.
Now I think about it, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks.

spengu
01-10-2006, 01:13 PM
In Yoshinkan I believe it's called irimi zuki.

James Smithe
01-10-2006, 03:06 PM
Oops I should have put this in the techniques forum.

aikigirl10
01-10-2006, 05:10 PM
My sensei refers to any atemi going in an upward or downward motion to be a shomen. If it comes around from the side it is yokomen, if its just a general punch it is tsuki. That is how i was taught.

Lee Mulgrew
01-20-2006, 04:33 AM
I think you are refering to (not sure on the spelling here) an iriminski or irimski. kind of like a very direct iriminage where the chin is ploughed up and then down again with palm of the hand. hurts A LOT if you don't anticipate it! prelude to a neck breaking technique :uch: :eek: :dead:

Ethan Weisgard
02-02-2006, 09:32 AM
James,

You don't mention whether he is using a fist or open hand, but it could be that what you are referring to is O-Sensei's shomen uchi, which he initiates before uke has time to attack. This is an open-handed (tegatana) upward moving strike towards uke's face. You can see him doing this often in many of the jiyu waza that are to be seen on film.

By the way, when grabbed in Ryokata dori, the atemi used here is an uppercut, since an atemi going straight towards uke's face is blocked by the one arm.

In Aiki,

Ethan Weisgard

AikijutsuBritsoc
02-26-2006, 08:53 AM
Its a teisho - heel of palm strike and is used a lot in aiki jutsu

DH
02-26-2006, 09:44 PM
Its from the Hiden Mokuroku of Daito ryu-where- all of the jujutsu techniques of Aikido and his internal skills came from. Its also in the scrolls he awarded to Mochizuki, Shioda, Shirata, on and on. You know.....his students. Those would be the Daito ryu Hiden Mokuroku scrolls he was awarding in the 1930's and signed, in the only art he knew to teach; Daito ryu.
It was the only art he studied for any length of time.

Cheers
Dan

Mark Mueller
02-27-2006, 07:25 AM
I think it is called:

The strike of thunder
From way down under
rising quickly
makes uke feel sickly
Knock em on their butt
Super Incredible upper cut.

At least that's what Daryl Dawkins called it....:)

Keiser Soze
03-10-2006, 08:39 AM
if its a cross between an iriminage crossed with an upward palm heel strike, in my kai shin kai dojo refer to it as iriminski. It is to my knowledge banned within kai shin kai UK.
Looks good though! Especially if done in a rolling downward way.

Nick Simpson
03-10-2006, 10:00 AM
Why is Irimi-Tsuki banned in your organisation?

Keiser Soze
03-10-2006, 10:55 AM
So thats how you spell it! I cant say exactly why it's banned, but i think some of the younger people at our club were getting hurt. What grade do you usually practice irimitsuki?

Nick Simpson
03-10-2006, 10:59 AM
No grade, whenever you want to do it in randori/jiyu - waza or if the instructor feels like teaching it. Done incorrectly or a bit too vigourously it could lead to injury, but so could any of the techniques.

Ron Tisdale
03-10-2006, 11:09 AM
It is often one of our 9th to 7th kyu waza...so really very early. In my opinion, it is one of the best to teach for self defense...

Best,
Ron

Nick Simpson
03-10-2006, 11:14 AM
Totally agree on the self defence aspect of it. Easy technique to remember but very effective and you can either pin, throw or even disable/kill with it if you modify it correctly.

Keiser Soze
03-10-2006, 11:31 AM
I like the technique. It would be frowned upon if we did it in ninindori, but i know if i was gettlng mugged on the street i definately would rather use it over giving the theiving Uke the pleasure of a soft shoulder (iriminage)

Dirk Hanss
03-10-2006, 01:24 PM
I like the technique. It would be frowned upon if we did it in ninindori, but i know if i was gettlng mugged on the street i definately would rather use it over giving the theiving Uke the pleasure of a soft shoulder (iriminage)
That's why you haven't understood aikido yet.

Dirk

Keiser Soze
03-10-2006, 06:23 PM
I'd never admit to understanding Aikdo, but we were chatting about a self defense situation. I love the fluidity and dynamics of iriminage, its my favorite technique. The one thing i believe to be true, in my limited experience is that Aikido is the way that the techniques are done, not the techniques themselves. Iriminage or irimi-tsuki ? I think all that matters is both uke and tori's posture, ki, and kokyu. Having only a few years trying to understand ki and chi, kamae and correct breathing I have to rely on my techniques. so I agree; i dont understand Aikido....yet.

Nick Simpson
03-13-2006, 05:04 AM
I spose if it is banned then yeah, but it is in general an excellent randori technique (as can be seen in shudokan/tomiki aikido where they employ it as 'shomen ate' regularly, in fact I beleive it is one of the first core techniques/kata's learnt).

Iriminage is a very dangerous and direct technique if done in that manner(It can be a neck breaker, if that is your wish).