PDA

View Full Version : Best Advice Your Sensei Ever Gave

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Scott Josephus
12-29-2005, 12:16 PM
I'm assuming that this doesn't just apply to me; My Sensei (4th Dan) has a few points she regularly reiterates, but when you get down to it is just plain good advice/statements for making you think about things which apply to your Aikido. I was wondering if you had to say that there were a couple of points your Sensei regularly states that you have taken to heart, what would they be? Here are a few of the statements mine makes often:

Circles go both ways.

You must have awareness for your AIkido to be good. If you have great technique, but no awareness, your Aikido is no good.

Fluidity is more important than speed in a technique; speed will come in time.

In Aikido, we practice to control the situation, never to harm.

While you may go to the Dojo, ultimately you learn that the dojo is inside you.

And now, some of your Sensei's thoughts. :p

Onigai Shimasu!

charron
12-29-2005, 12:35 PM
My First Sensie - advised tha one should keep an open mind. If someone does a technique different that the way you are presently being taught how do do it. Do not automaticale brush it off as not being any good. He suggested that you should do your best to learn the different way, and then test it against your present way and see for yourself, which way works best for you. Then do it the way that works best for you.

My Present Sensie advises - Don't Quit and Don't Die!

BC
12-29-2005, 12:44 PM
"Move!"

crbateman
12-29-2005, 01:52 PM
"Try the pork..." :D

bkedelen
12-29-2005, 02:17 PM
Olson Sensei advised me that a good order of importance for your life is Family, then Training, then Work. I have built my life with these words.
Hoffmeister Sensei once said in circle that the purpose of Budo is not to get a a bigger sword or a better sword, but to get a better mind.
Another great piece of advice is to take a personal finance class :) Then you can pay your dojo dues.

Scott Josephus
12-29-2005, 02:35 PM
Hey, I forgot to mention Rule #1 - Get Out Of The Way!

MaryKaye
12-29-2005, 02:58 PM
A seminar sensei: "As uke your job is to give a sincere attack, not take ukemi. The ukemi will take care of itself."

Regional head instructor: "You are trying to move him. Move yourself!"

Mary Kaye

justin
12-29-2005, 03:17 PM
A seminar sensei said to me if your Aikido makes you feel uncomfortable or off balance your doing something wrong.

which i have used ever since he said it to me.

Devon Natario
12-29-2005, 03:47 PM
Mitter Sensei "The path of knowledge never ends. A true martial artist will try to encapsulate as much knowledge they can to become better martial artists. This includes studying various arts. We have techniques (throwing, footwork, joint manipulations, groundfighting, etc) that make up Jujitsu, and you can add to these techniques, but Jujutsu will remain the same."

Collins Sensei "Relax!"

Derek Cleveland "Strike hard, strike fast. Close the distance and feel your opponent out. Each person is different. What makes a class A fighter is to learn how to adapt to them and overcome."

p00kiethebear
12-29-2005, 04:34 PM
"You'll never listen yourself into trouble"

Jorge Garcia
12-29-2005, 04:39 PM
My first teacher Eddie Martinez once told us "Anything you can do slow, you can do fast so make sure you can do it slow first before you try doing it fast."
Rick Laue Sensei used to say,"Whatever you do stay on the mat. You aren't doing any of us any good when you're off the mat, so at all costs, through everything you go through that discourages you, stay on the mat!"

Qatana
12-29-2005, 05:16 PM
"So shut the window if you're cold"
However I suspect he also tells others "Open the window if you're hot".

Jeanne Shepard
12-29-2005, 06:46 PM
GET OFF THE LINE!!!!!

Jeanne :p

Karen Wolek
12-29-2005, 06:53 PM
From the very beginning:

"You're doing fine. Just keep coming."

I did. :)

DH
12-29-2005, 07:07 PM
Learn what it takes to stand up, and what not.
Move the water around while standing in a pool
feel whats going on... on the inside

Its just keeps getting better after that

Dan

Charles Cunningham
12-29-2005, 07:30 PM
"When a good thing goes bad, you have to let it go." --Mits Yamashita

Charles

Josh Reyer
12-29-2005, 07:52 PM
(On ukemi) "Imagine a basket of kittens being turned over."

SmilingNage
12-30-2005, 09:52 AM
Breath, otherwise you are going to pass out.

ruthmc
12-30-2005, 10:22 AM
Ron Russell Sensei: "Don't ever say you are only a 6th kyu. You are 6th kyu, not only anything!" (Insert current rank and continue to follow sensei's advice :) )

Ruth

Scott Josephus
12-30-2005, 11:41 AM
That's a great one . . . and something I think we don't consider too often . . . We EARNED or our rank. We are not handed it, and yet, when we are starting out, we tend to downplay our rank sometimes, because we are not as advanced as other students may be. My Sensei is also fond of saying, "We are all on the same road, it's just that some of us are further along it than others." I think that holds really true. :)

tony cameron
12-30-2005, 04:41 PM
Training with Endo Sensei at a seminar in Seattle last year he said something along the lines of:. "Stop making fists so much, keep your palms open. When you make a fist, the Ki is truncated. with palms open the Ki shoots out infinitely through your fingers and palm." that kind of stuck with me for some reason.

of course, Endo Sensei had a translator and my memory isn't that great so hopefully i didn't completely butcher that quote;)

tony

Paula Lydon
12-30-2005, 05:45 PM
Stop 'doing' things to uke...just enjoy their company in this shape...or that shape.

AikiSean!
12-30-2005, 06:13 PM
"Becareful, do not hurt him/her. He/she has not signed up yet!"

crbateman
12-30-2005, 06:29 PM
Training with Endo Sensei at a seminar in Seattle last year he said something along the lines of:. "Stop making fists so much, keep your palms open. When you make a fist, the Ki is truncated. with palms open the Ki shoots out infinitely through your fingers and palm." that kind of stuck with me for some reason.

of course, Endo Sensei had a translator and my memory isn't that great so hopefully i didn't completely butcher that quote;)

tonyNo, you got the point. In fact, many aikidoka from an early ki-oriented background will keep their index fingers extended even when grasping and/or throwing, because it signifies the extension of ki. I was taught that it made kind of a "ki fountain". Unfortunately, when I do it, I often end up with a jammed finger, a sprain, or poked in the eye :confused: with my own finger. Very embarrassing...

Qatana
12-30-2005, 07:31 PM
on not holding fists: Funny, I gave a dancer the exact same advice about 25 years ago, before i'd ever heard of aikido. So I said energy, instead of ki, its the same thing, in My book.

on the pointed finger: I was at a seminar and saw Bob Nadeau Sensei bit nage's finger when it got pointed at him.
Just an observation.

crbateman
12-30-2005, 11:26 PM
Even if you had left out Nadeau Sensei's name, I would have bet good money that it was he... (Don't tell anyone, but he's a little eccentric...)

neb1979
12-30-2005, 11:52 PM
Balance, Direction, Technique.

He also says not to dwell on the past or think to hard about the future just give all of yourself to the moment.

That goes for Training and Life.

Have a great New Year everyone.

:)

Tim Gerrard
12-31-2005, 06:19 AM
"If it doesn't work hit them"

aikigirl10
12-31-2005, 12:54 PM
My sensei loves to demonstrate how things can be reversed if you let uke get behind you so i probably hear "dont let them get behind you" more than anything else.

He also has to tell me frequently not to lean over, and to keep moving. More importantly... to stay connected , and hold on tight as uke.

Meggy Gurova
12-31-2005, 05:09 PM
Talking about the attitude we should have when we train, during one wepontraining my sensei said - In aikido you should never ever take a step back! Always have the attitude forward. Taking a step back is not called taking a step back, is called changing position in order to continue going forward.
What a great thread!
Oh, and Happy New Year!!!! :)

Ketsan
12-31-2005, 08:41 PM
"Keep your guard up".

Jesterr01
12-31-2005, 08:57 PM
"When you want to learn a technique, ask someone higher than you and don't complain when they do it to you over and over again, thank them, cause you're the one who wanted to know." and "Question everything after the lesson has been spoken if your question wasn't answered, no matter how silly it may seem."

Ed Shockley
12-31-2005, 09:11 PM
"Aikido comes from the sword."

PhilMyKi
01-01-2006, 06:01 AM
Breath in, breath out, breath in, breath out ... ... and RELAX.

j0nharris
01-01-2006, 04:22 PM
I was visiting a dojo in the Chicago area a couple of years ago while on a business trip.
In the changing room before class, a student was standing with his gi top on, & said that he was brand new, & could someone help him out.
The instructor (though I didn't know that at the time) said, "First thing.. put on your pants!"

Truer words were never spoken, I think.

Ketsan
01-01-2006, 05:58 PM
Dumb questions are better than dumb mistakes

toyamabarnard
01-02-2006, 12:45 PM
"strength isn't the issue, it's not about power it's about placement and timing" and of course "You won't learn much from down there, get up!"

Yo-Jimbo
01-02-2006, 02:05 PM
"More practice." - Saotome

Matthieu
01-02-2006, 02:54 PM
"Why don't you come and try a class?"

That was almost ten years ago and I cannot thank him enough for it.

Tim Olds
01-02-2006, 11:12 PM
"Go and train with everyone you can... you'll always learn something!"

RebeccaM
01-03-2006, 12:07 AM
From Bookman Sensei: Never give up your back.

From Ikeda Sensei: Stay warm (not as profound as when he told my brother to get a light for his bike but still very useful).

From Hoffmeister Sensei: Don't think about it. Do it. Or words to that effect.

And from too many sempai to count: ENTER! NOW!

Mato-san
01-03-2006, 03:25 AM
Learn the alphabet before trying to read words!

ramenboy
01-03-2006, 09:42 AM
no short cuts

James Davis
01-03-2006, 11:27 AM
My sensei once said to me:
"No matter what rank I attain, and no matter how many years I live, I don't assume that I'm more wise than anyone else. I'd rather just butt out of other peoples' lives. If they ask me for it, then I'll give them advice. :) "

Shipley
01-03-2006, 02:21 PM
Shut up and train. I have to think about this every time I train or teach.

The second one I can't remember the wording, but it was along the lines of "You only start learning when you are tired enough that you are fighting the desire to stop and rest". That can't be the way he said it, he's not that wordy, but it was the general idea.

Paul

Bronson
01-03-2006, 03:05 PM
Whenever the instructor gives correction to the class as a whole, always assume they are talking directly about/to you.

Bronson

Scott Josephus
01-04-2006, 04:06 PM
I think I made that assumption monday when practicing Bokken Kata I. :)

Speaking of which . . . I gotta go, or I'll be late for class ! ;)

deepsoup
01-04-2006, 04:25 PM
Not my sensei, but I'd like to nominate Chuck Clark, and:
"Don't quit, don't die."

Sean
x

Mato-san
01-05-2006, 07:07 AM
Another one that comes to mind is, although it was in Japanese it was something along the lines of. "It is rude to strike out your attacker, but polite to subdue them"

early rub up
01-05-2006, 10:20 AM
mine told me know your self know others years ltr i knew what he ment

JMCavazos
01-05-2006, 03:44 PM
One of the quotes that I like from the late Bill Sosa Sensei was: "Be yourself - don't pretend to be something that you are not".

crbateman
01-05-2006, 05:51 PM
One of the quotes that I like from the late Bill Sosa Sensei was: "Be yourself - don't pretend to be something that you are not".Good advice in any situation...

JAMJTX
01-06-2006, 10:52 AM
"Go practice"

This advice comes regularly, especially when I think I accomplished something and even when I have. The "advice" is usually prefixed with "That's nice".

PhilMyKi
01-17-2006, 02:48 AM
"Don't apologise, just get it right next time." He wasn't being serious (I hope), he wanted to see if I would post it!

PhilMyKi
01-17-2006, 02:58 AM
:confused: or was it perfect? :confused:

Jennifer Grahn
02-15-2006, 01:05 PM
"Don't just stand there--Do something! "
"Thou shalt finish with thy back heel on the mat."
"Get the hell out of the way!"
"Don't apologize."
"Imagine that you're spraying water out of your fingers, like a fire-hose."
There's more, of course, but those are the ones that come to mind.

Ron Tisdale
02-15-2006, 01:26 PM
"Thou shalt finish with thy back heel on the mat."

I just got reminded about that one on saturday. Darn hamstrings!

Best,
Ron

Dajo251
02-15-2006, 02:12 PM
Glenn Webber Sensei once told me,"I do aikido like I play pool, I never make things harder than they have to be" that has alwasy stuck with me

Michael O'Brien
02-15-2006, 03:31 PM
If we keep training one day we'll figure it out.

PaulieWalnuts
02-15-2006, 03:58 PM
"get the F$@k up, NOW" :crazy:

Mike Fugate
02-15-2006, 08:21 PM
The best single peice of advise I have ever gotten was from my personaly friend/mentor Sifu Regedanz. It was given to me durring a rough time in my life when I began to question almost all around me and became very confused.
"You must be stronger than your Chi or feelings to have good control of them. Now is the time to build it. Once you harness or control the negetive Chi, it will be a whole new thing to you. It can't be explained but it will be like you are living fot the first time or starting life over. Then you can do with out trying, See without looking, Hear without listening, and know how the outcome will be before it gets there. It will all come, just keep practicing. Remember one must live within the relm of the art, this is when it becomes Instinct."
This advise spoke wonders to me, and really helped me alot not only with life, but to my suprise it became the biggest impact to my Martial skills than anything else. I finally started to undertand what made my Sifu different than anyone I had ever met before. :ki: "PEACE"

Psufencer
02-15-2006, 09:20 PM
I'm fairly new to Aikido, but somehow the advice an old fencing master of mine gave me when I was a kid seems applicable to any MA...

Rule #1: Don't get hit.

Rule #2: Don't miss!

Everything else is just details. :D

Shannymara
02-16-2006, 01:21 AM
"Just show up"

and

"Irimi"

nathansnow
02-16-2006, 11:53 AM
I had somehow slightly injured myself in class and was rubbing my leg and he said to me, "budo wa iitai desu" and then he laughed and went to show the next technique. This literally means, "martial arts is pain" :uch: ...... so get over it and keep training. You could also take it to mean nothing worth having is ever easy.

pezalinski
02-16-2006, 02:43 PM
'Move or Be Hit -- It's Your Choice!' ;)

Mark Freeman
02-16-2006, 06:20 PM
"Don't live to practice Aikido, practice Aikido to live!"

Paul D. Smith
02-17-2006, 06:36 AM
Keep swimming.

MikeE
02-17-2006, 06:54 AM
Relax! You are constipating your ki.

Carlos Rivera
02-17-2006, 08:34 AM
Best advice received-

1- Whatetever you're doing, if the technique doesn't work. . .keep moving!!

2- Don't muscle your way through, try polishing your technique instead.

3- Be respectful of the sempai/kohai relationship

4- Breathe!!

5- A good kiai will focus your practice

6- Get out of the way, don't get hit!!

7- Be realistic in your atemi

8- Respect your practice partners

:cool:

Eric Webber
02-17-2006, 11:02 AM
"Relax, you'll live longer."

justinmaceachern
02-17-2006, 11:21 AM
My favorite quote, ``god damn it, protect yourselfs, the mats wont do it for you``.

RoyK
02-21-2006, 03:26 PM
My instructor says that one should not turn his face away from nage when recieving a technique and nage shouldn't focus her eyes on her hands when doing a technique.

And also, don't just stop the technique if you feel like you're doing something wrong.

Nick Simpson
02-22-2006, 07:10 AM
'If it doesnt work, hit them.'

True story.

fanaraikido
02-22-2006, 08:46 AM
A Martial Art Always Pain Don_worry Don_worry

koz
02-27-2006, 07:50 AM
I might be paraphrasing a little but it was something along the lines of "Don't bother coming back".

Really. :straightf

SteveTrinkle
02-27-2006, 01:12 PM
"Don't thinking, just sweating." Suzuki Yasu Sensei

Mark Freeman
02-27-2006, 05:02 PM
I might be paraphrasing a little but it was something along the lines of "Don't bother coming back".

Really. :straightf

In this vein, some advice given to an akidoka in the very early days of British aikido after a shodan grading, "Best you sell Gi now, while prices still high" :cool:

Perry Bell
03-07-2006, 09:25 PM
I'm assuming that this doesn't just apply to me; My Sensei (4th Dan) has a few points she regularly reiterates, but when you get down to it is just plain good advice/statements for making you think about things which apply to your Aikido. I was wondering if you had to say that there were a couple of points your Sensei regularly states that you have taken to heart, what would they be? Here are a few of the statements mine makes often:

Circles go both ways.

You must have awareness for your AIkido to be good. If you have great technique, but no awareness, your Aikido is no good.

Fluidity is more important than speed in a technique; speed will come in time.

In Aikido, we practice to control the situation, never to harm.

While you may go to the Dojo, ultimately you learn that the dojo is inside you.

And now, some of your Sensei's thoughts. :p

Onigai Shimasu!

Hi

Practice ;)

emma.mason15
03-07-2006, 10:31 PM
"Dory .... Lie down before you hurt yourself .... or more importantly, before yoiu hurt me!" ...

merlynn
03-08-2006, 05:33 AM
'Move or Be Hit -- It's Your Choice!' ;)
my sensei said that to me right before he hit me with a bokken :uch: :dead:

brunotex
03-08-2006, 08:30 AM
My Sensei:
"Relax!!!"
"It has to be strong, not violent!!"
"Relax, Bruno!!"
"Donīt think, do it!!"

Sakanashi Sensei:
"Do you want to lose your teeth?!?!Protect yourself!!"

Kato Sensei
"Train with joy"

Bruno :)

pcallen
03-08-2006, 09:46 AM
"Umm, if you move you probably won't get hit like that. Pinch your nose accross the bridge, the bleeding will stop eventually." :dead:

Phil Allen

Dajo251
03-08-2006, 11:14 AM
advice I got from one of the senior students in my own dojo

"If you move then I wont hit you"

merlynn
03-08-2006, 11:32 AM
mmmmmmmmmm i would have to say the best advice my sensei gave me was extend your fingers (now i know there' s a temptation in there somewhere) :rolleyes:

Nick Simpson
03-08-2006, 11:52 AM
You had to ruin this thread with your filthy Inuendo too, didnt you?

mj
03-08-2006, 12:28 PM
Ruin?

Michael O'Brien
03-08-2006, 03:06 PM
What Mark said. :D

emma.mason15
03-08-2006, 04:44 PM
You had to ruin this thread with your filthy Inuendo too, didnt you?

DAMNIT KAREN YOU BEAT ME TO IT AGAIN!!!!!

Jeanne Shepard
03-08-2006, 07:20 PM
"Now you know why you have to BLOCK!"

Jeanne :eek:

BenDuckett
03-08-2006, 10:29 PM
At my first seminar, Masuda Shihan (Aikikai 8th Dan) watched my attacks with a jo and uttered the words that haunt me to this day. "Not Billiards"
Ben :sorry:

Dajo251
03-08-2006, 10:35 PM
At my first seminar, Masuda Shihan (Aikikai 8th Dan) watched my attacks with a jo and uttered the words that haunt me to this day. "Not Billiards"
Ben :sorry:
hahahaha, I like that one....I have that problem too, probably because I have been shotting pool since I was 6