PDA

View Full Version : Just a thought

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Ketsan
12-21-2005, 09:29 PM
Considering that Aikido techniques are based on weapon techniques, often where your opponent is either trying to prevent you drawing your weapon or trying to prevent you using a drawn weapon, could it not be said that Aikido is the art of cutting down unarmed people who are trying to defend themselves or refuse to draw their weapon(s)? :D

Misogi-no-Gyo
12-21-2005, 11:02 PM
Considering that Aikido techniques are based on weapon techniques, often where your opponent is either trying to prevent you drawing your weapon or trying to prevent you using a drawn weapon, could it not be said that Aikido is the art of cutting down unarmed people who are trying to defend themselves or refuse to draw their weapon(s)? :D

Just a thought... NO!

Aikido is not about cutting down anyone. Now that we have that one cleared up it is time to relax and enjoy the Holidays.

crbateman
12-22-2005, 04:09 AM
Considering that Aikido techniques are based on weapon techniques, often where your opponent is either trying to prevent you drawing your weapon or trying to prevent you using a drawn weapon, could it not be said that Aikido is the art of cutting down unarmed people who are trying to defend themselves or refuse to draw their weapon(s)? :DI hope you are being sarcastic, because this is rubbish. Wouldn't it be just as easy and fulfilling for you to make a USEFUL contribution?

James Davis
12-22-2005, 11:22 AM
Well Alex, it would appear that you've been verbally cut down a couple of times! The :D at the end of your post should have tipped us off as to your true intent, but maybe you should post something like this in the humor section in the future. There are some hair-triggers around here. :p

Mark Uttech
12-22-2005, 12:21 PM
Aikido is something you do when you prevent the other from drawing their weapon, or when they attempt to prevent you from drawing yours to defend yourself.
In gassho

roosvelt
12-22-2005, 01:00 PM
could it not be said that Aikido is the art of cutting down unarmed people who are trying to defend themselves or refuse to draw their weapon(s)? :D

Observing the Ukes in most seminars, I'd say that Aikido is the art of cutting down unarmed people who are NOT trying to defend themselves . :D

Misogi-no-Gyo
12-22-2005, 01:37 PM
Observing the Ukes in most seminars, I'd say that Aikido is the art of cutting down unarmed people who are NOT trying to defend themselves . :D
Ah, yes....

Please see my original comment, above. You can write it down, give it to your favorite person, sit down across from each other and in a serious tone ask them to read it back to you in a hushed yet serious manner. Then having sorted that all out, go out and have a happy holiday!

You do have a favorite person, don't you? I bet they don't practice Aikido...

Just a thought...

Ketsan
12-22-2005, 03:11 PM
Yeah probably should have made it clear that it was a joke.

About a week ago I bought a book called "Classical fighting arts of Japan" by Serge Mol and there's one bit (P.34) which says "The person so restricted, on the other hand, could try to counter these tactics with a number of techniques that would enable him to draw the sword after all....". That kinda got me thinking about just where parts of Aikido were born and just what the original intention behind the technique was before it was taught to O-Sensei and the juxtaposition between the original intention and O-Sensei's intention.