PDA

View Full Version : Gift for sensei??

Please visit our sponsor:

Declan
12-13-2005, 06:16 AM
Hi all, i should really be introducing myself on a different thread but one of the main reasons i signed up at this time is that myself and and another senior student at my dojo want to get our sensei a hand crafted bokken as a gift, won't be in time for xmas but im sure he wont mind, we've only recently opened our new aiki jutsu dojo in claremorris Ireland so it will be extra special,the thing is we cant decide where to buy it,we've being looking at sandata crafts, arthe gallary, and bujin but still cant decide, can any of you please give some advice on which to go with for such a special gift?

Thanx Declan.

diesel
12-13-2005, 07:13 AM
www.tozando.com, or moreso, www.bokkenshop.com. Straight from Japan and high quality. Their stuff rocks.

jimbaker
12-13-2005, 07:29 AM
Kim Taylor in Canada makes great bokkens: http://sdksupplies.netfirms.com/cat_bokuto.htm

Jim Baker
Aikido of Norfolk

akiy
12-13-2005, 09:06 AM
Personally, I refuse to do any sort of business with Artha Gallery as they have sent unsolicited bulk e-mail (spam) to me in the past...

-- Jun

John Boswell
12-13-2005, 09:24 AM
If "hand crafted" is important to you, check out Kingfisher:

http://www.kingfisherwoodworks.com/

I like Bu Jin products, Tozando, SDK bokken, The Bokken Shop and E-Bogu. BUT... If my goal were to throw $100-150 bucks at a one of a kind, hand-crafted, superior grade bokken that is hands-down the best thing you ever hoped for in a bokken, I think I'd put my faith in Kingfisher.

Just my opinion. Nothing against the others at all... just 2 cents worth.

DevinHammer
12-13-2005, 10:35 AM
Yup, Kingfisher....definitely Kingfisher.

James Davis
12-13-2005, 11:03 AM
Aikiwood.com is cool too.

Mark Uttech
12-14-2005, 06:17 AM
Kingfisher

diesel
12-14-2005, 06:21 AM
Kingfisher only does hickory right... if you want to get him something that stands out, do something besides hickory. :P

RobertBrass
12-14-2005, 08:35 AM
Kingfisher has my vote

Bronson
12-14-2005, 05:06 PM
Love Kingfisher's stuff.

Bronson

p.s. Hey Jun, just thought I'd let you know that Artha Gallery's website says they've undergone a change of ownership... perhaps the mailings will stop.

Larry Feldman
12-15-2005, 07:38 AM
Artha was sold to someone in the US. The craftsman remain the same. Great products, beautiful wood. I responded to the mailing (which I rarely do), and have ordered many times over the last 4 years. Good people to do business with, always 'did the right thing' for me when a question or problem arose.

Larry Feldman
12-15-2005, 08:50 AM
I should add that I have probably ordered 70 bokken/jo from them, over the last few years.
The products are beautiful and take a pounding, you almost feel bad striking them.

John Boswell
12-15-2005, 10:02 AM
OH! Artha Gallery! Their bokken were featured on Sword Forum a few years ago... those things are AWSOME! If you're into the ebony look and strength, I think those would be an excellent selection as well. But again... you can't go wrong with Kingfisher as well.

Damn. Tough choice.

jducusin
12-15-2005, 02:17 PM
Just adding my voice to the chorus about Kingfisher --- highly recommended! :D