PDA

View Full Version : Aikido Tattoos

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Troy
12-10-2005, 03:17 PM
I would sometime in the future get some tattoos of some of O'Sensei's brushworks like "Aikido", "Takemusu Aiki", "Aiki O' Kami" and such forth. Before I do, I would like to get the insight of the Aikido community. What you think of someone getting caligraphy tats who does Aikido. How it might affect ukemi, and philosophical aspects of perminantly having "way of peace" on your body.

Thoughts?

justin
12-10-2005, 03:41 PM
IMHO kinda tacky

Berney Fulcher
12-10-2005, 04:12 PM
A few at my dojo were contemplating getting "Grab Here" in kanji tatooed on the wrist ;)

sullivanw
12-10-2005, 05:41 PM
Hmmm... well you probably wouldn't want to train until the tat has healed.
Philosophically, if you are sincere and true to yourself then go for it; others may agree or disagree, but that's their path.
As far as the form of the tat, I would do something tasteful and avoid having an "art of peace" billboard on my chest. Why tell everyone when you can show? Good luck with the decision!

-Will

Lorien Lowe
12-10-2005, 06:32 PM
you can, of course, order some temporary tats from aikiweb!

-LK

crbateman
12-10-2005, 06:50 PM
How about "This side up" on your head...?

aikigirl10
12-10-2005, 07:38 PM
imo.... tattoos can be nice or very tacky. Nice if its done for a good purpose and it has a good meaning. Tacky if you cover your entire body just to show off how u dont mind taking pain.

It sounds like u have good intentions for it.... so i would say do it. If it were me i would just get something small that can always be covered up. You never know how ur mind might change 10 or 20 years down the road.

Just my opinioin.
-Paige

Mark Uttech
12-11-2005, 04:36 AM
tatoos are like swing music: "It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got that swing"... That type of thing.

In gassho