PDA

View Full Version : kamae

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Paula Lydon
12-07-2005, 08:48 AM
~~Anyone familiar with bokken training where 'jodan' is with bokken presented like tsuki at nearly face level and 'tachi jodan' is presented as the more familiar over the head stance?~~

Thanks! :D

James Davis
12-07-2005, 10:16 AM
~~Anyone familiar with bokken training where 'jodan' is with bokken presented like tsuki at nearly face level and 'tachi jodan' is presented as the more familiar over the head stance?~~

Thanks! :D
No, I haven't heard that one, but then I don't know much. ;) I think the "presented like tsuki at nearly face level" one that you described is chudan, and the one with the tip of the sword a few inches off the floor is gedan. :)

Derek Gaudet
12-07-2005, 12:44 PM
If It's presented at face level it would more likely be Seigan no kamae, Chudan is at the solar plexus area while Seigan is pointed at the eyes... I have never seen a Jodan like this. Just my two pennies.

Kent Enfield
12-07-2005, 02:31 PM
If It's presented at face level it would more likely be Seigan no kamae, Chudan is at the solar plexus area while Seigan is pointed at the eyes... I have never seen a Jodan like this. Just my two pennies.Be careful of all inclusive statements concerning the technical jargon of Japanese martial arts. The usage and definitions of terms vary drastically. One school's chudan is another's gedan. Another schools jodan will be a fourth's hasso, which would be a fifth's in no kamae, which would be a sixth's moku no kamae.

Derek Gaudet
12-07-2005, 03:14 PM
Be careful of all inclusive statements concerning the technical jargon of Japanese martial arts. The usage and definitions of terms vary drastically. One school's chudan is another's gedan. Another schools jodan will be a fourth's hasso, which would be a fifth's in no kamae, which would be a sixth's moku no kamae.
So very true Kent, as I recall Katori's Migi Gedan no kamae, is much like other's chudan, and Eishin ryu's Hasso is an elbow lift away from katori's Jodan ;) ... Ahh the wonderful strategies of kamae and the oh so many variations.Thanks for clearing up my post, just considered the versions I knew.

Ed Shockley
12-26-2005, 09:51 AM
Is the reason for the lack of consistency in language a function of the vagaries of translation or misunderstanding of Japanese?

Mat Hill
12-27-2005, 05:58 AM
Different dojo, let alone different lineages, use different expressions... it is not connected to any perceived problem with the Japanese language though I'm sure these exist in some cases, just the idiosyncrasies of the sensei.

In my aikido and kendo schools they use jodan for the one pointed at the eyes, and hasso for the one above the head.