PDA

View Full Version : Aikido verses other arts

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

KevinB
12-04-2005, 07:57 PM
At what rank can you open your own dojo? I've been in Tae Kwon Do for 7 years and am changing over to Aikido. I was wondering if this is usual in Aikido. In Tae Kwon Do you need to be a 3rd degree to do it the correct way.

Jorge Garcia
12-04-2005, 08:30 PM
At what rank can you open your own dojo? I've been in Tae Kwon Do for 7 years and am changing over to Aikido. I was wondering if this is usual in Aikido. In Tae Kwon Do you need to be a 3rd degree to do it the correct way.

Ideally, you should be a black belt. In the U.S., there are lots of 1st degree black belts running a dojo. The truth is though that by the ordinary standard, whether or not you could do it would depend on your Shihan.He is the one who makes the request that you do so or gives the permission. In some groups, the individual federations will have their regulations and guidelines for that as well.

I think though that the larger question is, "When should you?" That's the question that will get a number of different responses.
Best,

KevinB
12-04-2005, 08:37 PM
Hey thanks for the info. I just wanted to make sure that the that the instructors were qualified to run a school. The school that I am joining has a 3rd degree sensei that seems really god and knowledgable.

Jorge Garcia
12-04-2005, 11:01 PM
How many years you have in the art is probably more important that what rank you are since the time in rank will vary widely. Training with a 3rd degree black belt is probably a safe bet if your dojo is with a good organization. I recommend reading the following link for info on selecting a dojo.
http://members.cox.net/aikidoc1/ChoosingInstructor.htm
Best,

Devon Natario
12-05-2005, 12:07 AM
By standards it is usually 3rd Dan or higher. Why? Because most systems you are allowed to promote people to two ranks below yourself, which means you would need to be 3rd Dan to promote 1st Dan Students.

This is the general norm for rank in all arts. There are some organizations that allow you to promote people one rank below yourself, but it's rare.

If you do learn from a 1st Dan, and your goal is to earn your Black Belt, then you should make sure your instructor is going to move forward, or that his/her instructor will test you for Shodan.

I have heard of Honbu's conducting all Shodan + testing as well.

*When it comes to learning I believe you can learn from anyone you train with. I learned a neat move from a green belt the other day.