PDA

View Full Version : Hasso

Please visit our sponsor:

jonopeach
11-30-2005, 07:06 AM
hey, could sommeone difine Hasso no kamae for me plz! thanx in advance

Chuck.Gordon
11-30-2005, 09:31 AM
In most cases, it's a position with the sword generally upright, in honte uchi, on the right side of your body, tsuba about temple high, elbows relaxed. However, the details of the position can vary from style to style. Ask your teacher or a senior to show you the way your school does it.

MikeE
11-30-2005, 10:18 AM
Exactly the way we do it.

George S. Ledyard
11-30-2005, 11:26 AM
In most cases, it's a position with the sword generally upright, in honte uchi, on the right side of your body, tsuba about temple high, elbows relaxed. However, the details of the position can vary from style to style. Ask your teacher or a senior to show you the way your school does it.

This is a good description of the kamae. This is one that gets very mangled all over. I think because people have seen too many samrurai movies...

Anyway, the requirements for any kamae are:

1) you have to be able to hold the kamae for a subtantial period and stay relaxed

2) you want to hold the kamae in such a way that the absolute minimum movement is required to be able to cut or tsuki from that kamae

The easiest way to assume hasso is to stand in seigan no kamae; simply bend the arms at the elbows raising the sword with your forerams only until it is vertical, as noted above the tsuba will be at your eye level approximately. That's it for the arm movement! Just step back with your right foot and turn the hips until they are oblique and you have hasso. Since your head is facing forward the sword now rests next to your temple.

The test for any kamae is to hold it for a while and see whether it makes you tight and tired holding it; also can you initiate an attack from that kamae in a rapid fashion. Any tension at all and you lose so much speed that you could never strike anyone not colluding with you.

jonopeach
12-09-2005, 04:53 AM
Thanx george and chuck! found that really helpfull. I always get confused with hasso, wont anymore though. If theres anymore tips you can give me about the kamae they would be greatfully received. thankyou. . . :)

Ed Shockley
12-26-2005, 09:29 AM
The best tip I can offer, and not being the least bit snide, is to find a partner and practice. The beauty of the sword is that it is self correcting. The more cuts, the more parries, the more flaws in kamae and technique will be revealed. Either, as someone mentioned, you cannot move swiftly or as someone said in another thread, you feel muscle pain (or even develop calcium buildups in the wrists according to one post).