PDA

View Full Version : Who is he?

Please visit our sponsor:

LadyLailah
11-24-2005, 01:41 AM
After posting this in a few places I've had very mixed reactions. I'm interested in any ideas/opinions you guys have on who/what "he" is.
Apologies if it offends anyone

"There are children standing here,
Arms outstretched into the sky,
Tears drying on their face.
He has been here.
Brothers lie in shallow graves.
Fathers lost without a trace.
A nation blind to their disgrace,
Since he's been here.

Houses burnt beyond repair.
The smell of death is in the air.
A woman weeping in despair says,
He has been here.
Tracer lighting up the sky.
It's another families' turn to die.
A child afraid to even cry out says,
He has been here.

There are children standing here,
Arms outstretched into the sky,
But no one asks the question why,
He has been here.
Old men kneel and accept their fate.
Wives and daughters cut and raped.
A generation drenched in hate.
Yes, he has been here."

Nick Simpson
11-24-2005, 02:18 AM
War?

Steve Mullen
11-24-2005, 02:29 AM
I htink in this case he is being used as a metaphor for all the bad, war etc. to give it a name would make people start to draw their own pictures based on newspapers and t.v., what i think the poet wanted here was for the reader to focus all their attention on the poem they were reading. by referring to it as 'he' it objectifies war and forces the reader to see it as a whole.

thats my two bits anyway.

LadyLailah
11-24-2005, 03:32 AM
I think most people would assume that he is death/war/fate, it's natural to associate bad with bad. But one interesting suggestion I've had is that He, is God. Something perceived as good that mankind has taken and fought many wars over. It's certainly the action of mankind causing the tragedy, but the reason why isn't always something perceived as bad

Mary Eastland
11-24-2005, 07:14 AM
I think who has been there is "people". How can some Deity be responsible for the actions of people?

Mary

Steve Mullen
11-24-2005, 07:32 AM
'God' didn't make them do it, rather religion, the concept of mine is right and yours is wrong which has been the cause of more bloodshed than is possible to imagine given that religion is meant to be about peace.

Well that's what i got out of victorias last post.

Matt Molloy
11-24-2005, 07:34 AM
Chuck Norris? ;)

"Booya!"

Cheers,

Matt.

(I'm so sorry. I couldn't resist it.)

Nick Simpson
11-24-2005, 07:37 AM
'F*ckin Chuck Norris!'

LadyLailah
11-24-2005, 08:27 AM
Chuck Norris?! Haha

Thanks Steve, that's what I meant, in a not so clear way :)

Rod McLaughlin
11-25-2005, 10:25 PM
He is us, and what we are capable off.

ESimmons
12-02-2005, 12:57 AM
Why don't you ask the author?

SeiserL
12-02-2005, 07:50 AM
War, fear, hatred, humanity.

Trish Greene
12-02-2005, 01:11 PM
I am seeing "He" as human kinds own arrogance and attitudes towards eachother. We see nothing wrong with killing, maiming, raping, hurting, destroying to acheive what *we* think is right

"Children stretching their arm's out to the sky", in hope that human kind will learn to love eachother in peace, and their tears drying on their faces in realization that it is not happening.

Wow, did I get philosophical on that one...

(Chuck Norris!)

Mark Uttech
12-20-2005, 03:30 PM
He is "War", or he is the dark force that ever wanders the life and times. He is the mean spirit that arises, even if everyone is looking, he is mayhem and something that looks like hatred, but no one is ever sure.

Matt Molloy
12-21-2005, 02:16 AM
He is "War", or he is the dark force that ever wanders the life and times. He is the mean spirit that arises, even if everyone is looking, he is mayhem and something that looks like hatred, but no one is ever sure.

Yup. Just like I said. Sounds like Chuck Norris to me. :D

Cheers,

Matt.

IlyasDexter
12-21-2005, 10:15 AM
Could be the angel of death. But could also be one of many world "leaders",wont name any dont want to offend

Kelly Allen
12-23-2005, 09:00 PM
The Devil you say!