PDA

View Full Version : traditional Japanese student roster

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

barnibis
11-23-2005, 09:56 AM
Hi All,

I am tyring to build a traditional japanese dojo roster. If you don't know what i am talking about, it canbe decribed as a wooden board with slotted rails, and each person's name is written vetically on a narrow piece of wood that slides into the rails.

If anyone knows what i mean, i am lookng for some resources on how to build one. i saw one in the Aikido de la montange dojo in montreal and would like to build one for my dojo.

Any help? or leads , links? or designs or plans? i'd realy appreciate it.

o..

Chuck Clark
11-23-2005, 02:28 PM
What you're describing is called a nafudakake and the individual name boards are nafuda.

Our dojo has one made of oak. The nafuda fit into slots so the position is flexible. It is easily constructed. Make sure and finish each nafuda with clear sealer so that the ink doesn't smear when cleaning.

Amassus
11-23-2005, 03:53 PM
What are these rosters used for? I am curious.

crbateman
11-23-2005, 06:58 PM
What are these rosters used for? I am curious.It varies. Some schools just use it to show the enrollment. Others have them divided into ranks, and when a student is promoted, his name moves to the corresponding rank. Still others use them to chart attendance; when a student attends class, he takes his plate down and puts it into a basket, and the name is subsequently recorded and the plate put back on the wall. I'm not certain which of these variations (if any) is the traditional usage. I have seen many different methods of construction, ranging from the very ornate and imaginative, to simple paint stirrers hung on nails.

caelifera
12-05-2008, 09:05 PM
What you're describing is called a nafudakake and the individual name boards are nafuda.

Our dojo has one made of oak. The nafuda fit into slots so the position is flexible. It is easily constructed. Make sure and finish each nafuda with clear sealer so that the ink doesn't smear when cleaning.

Nice. :cool: