PDA

View Full Version : My first jo...

Please visit our sponsor:

dj_swim
11-17-2005, 12:56 PM
So, despite my wifes (completely understandable) concerns... I will eventually need to get a jo (and bokken too, but that's for another thread). I've seen lots of them out there, and I am a bit confused on what kind to get. I've seen various grades of wood, jo lengths, jo diameters... etc... how do you narrow it down?

Thanks!

-Doug

P.S. I can't really afford to get more than one right now, so one that could be used in paired kata as well as solo would be great, I think I remember reading somewhere that some of them couldn't be used in paired kata, I don't want one of those...

Karen Wolek
11-17-2005, 01:11 PM
I highly recommend this set:

WSET1 Training Buki Set
$108.00
This is a complete set of weapons for most budo practice. We include a white oak jo (#7100), a standard bokuto (#7082)with poly tsuba (#7067), a tanto (#7084), and a bag (#8043) to carry them in.

You can order it here:

http://budogu.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page10.html

That's the set I have had for three years and they are all still in great shape!

dj_swim
11-17-2005, 01:21 PM
What size/diameter is the jo? Thanks for the advice!

-Doug

James Kelly
11-17-2005, 02:55 PM
i'd recommend you get as cheep a white oak jo as you can find. 30-50 bucks. for most styles you want it to come up to just under your armpit, but you should ask your sensei. I still have the one I got 15 years ago though I don't use it much anymore (got a slightly longer one).

Karen Wolek
11-17-2005, 08:23 PM
What size/diameter is the jo? Thanks for the advice!

-Doug

I'm not sure. It's whatever the standard size is for my style of aikido, ha. You can e-mail Peter at the site and ask him, though. If I could actually find a ruler or yardstick or tape measure around here, I'd measure for you! But I have three kids.....sigh.....things go *poof* around here!