PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Taiwan

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

brianlkennedy
11-16-2005, 09:54 PM
Hi,
My name is Brian Kennedy and I have lived in Taiwan for the past 13 years. Over that time I have done a bit of BJJ, western boxing, xingyi and Yang taijiquan.

I got interested in this forum because I had heard good things about it and because BJJ, xingyi, taijiquan and aikido probably have a number of common core concepts.

Here in Taiwan I teach American criminal law. My Taiwanese wife and I do a regular column for Classical Fighting arts magazine (usually on some aspect of Chinese martial arts history) and she and I have recently release a book on the history of chinese martial arts training manuals.

take care,
Brian

akiy
11-16-2005, 11:37 PM
Hi Brian,

Welcome to AikiWeb. If you get a chance, please tell us about the book that you wrote...

-- Jun

Tom54
11-17-2005, 09:11 PM
Hello Brian

Are you the author of "Chinese Martial Arts Training Manuals: A Historical Survey"?

In this case, I've bought your book(pre-ordered it). Although it is not in my hands yet.

Recently I have began to read in Chinese materials about martial art.
And I have also read the book written by Ma Ming-Da, which was also listed in your book. And that was the major reason that I have decided to buy your book.

Ma Ming-Da is an astonishing historian. His book "Shuojian conggao(discourse of the sword)" was the best read that I had for several years.

Love to hear your opinion about it
welcome to Aiki web

brianlkennedy
11-20-2005, 03:54 AM
Hi Jun, Tom,
Yes, the Chinese Martial Arts Training Manuals book is the one my wife and I did. Oh, and my brother tells me that Amazon has (as of Friday) started shipping the book.

And yes, I think Ma Ming-da is an outstanding martial arts historian and his various books/articles were an important resource for my wife and I to use in our book. We quote Prof. Ma in a number of different places, including the chapter on Imperial military examinations. A friend of mine, Stan Henning, knows Prof. Ma personally and says that Prof. Ma is not only a great historian but also "good people" in a personal sense. Lion Books here in Taiwan about a year ago released a two volume set of Prof. Ma's research articles.

take care,
Brian

Tom54
11-21-2005, 04:04 AM
[QUOTE=Brian Kennedy] Oh, and my brother tells me that Amazon has (as of Friday) started shipping the book.

Lion Books here in Taiwan about a year ago released a two volume set of Prof. Ma's research articles.

QUOTE]

That's a good news :) I can't hardly wait.
And I have also ordered the two books published by the Lion Books.I am reading it now.

Looking forward that I can discuss with you many things and that I have the occasion to learn from you through these discussions.

Take care yourself!