View Full Version : Hi all

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

11-15-2005, 01:26 AM
Hi everyone,

I haven't got any interesting stories or achievements to share unfortunately. I've always loved martial arts, but only done a little kick boxing and kung fu, but never found a suitable club to stay in long enough to get a license even. I've trained at home and I practised a form of sword fighting with a group for a few months which I really enjoyed, but moved out of the area and it's difficult for me to get there now. Despite a great passion, my weakness is a serious lack of self discipline which I'm trying to overcome (but not hard enough obviously), it kills me that the clock is ticking, yet I can't get off my behind.

I've always felt compelled/obligated to protect people/life. After many years of considering almost every career option such as the police force, RAF, close protection and even CIA(!) none of them was quite right - Until I came to realise that the best way to protect people is to teach them to protect themselves. It might be hard to understand but it's how I feel. After looking into many styles I found that few teach sufficient defense, which is more important to me than being able to throw a punch.
I'm almost certain I'll find what I'm looking for in Aikido and very much hope to find a club in my area soon, as I'm afraid I'm too old already

Look forward to speaking to you all soon

Dirk Hanss
11-15-2005, 01:42 AM
Tonks, hmmm... Tonks....
Aren't you related with the famous auror, who went out with a werewulf? That would ecxplain why you always want to protect people.

Wlcome on aikiweb and I hope you'll find your way - and a good aikido (do)jo, of course ;9

Alex Megann
11-15-2005, 02:31 AM

Do visit the Cardiff Shobukan - nice people and nice Aikido.

11-15-2005, 03:26 AM
My family is very large, I don't know even a fraction of them, it could be worth checking out. Not sure if I'd want to believe that if it were true though...^_^

I've had a look on the site and the one on City Road on Tuesdays is close to home. I shall take a look, thank you!

11-15-2005, 06:10 AM

You might want to check out these guys too!

Nick Simpson
11-15-2005, 06:35 AM
Hi Victoria, hope you find what your looking for in aikido, or at least that you enjoy training.
On a side note, you may find that knowing how to throw a punch is very integral to defending oneself.

11-15-2005, 08:53 AM
Hi Victoria,

Welcome to AikiWeb.

-- Jun

Steve Mullen
11-15-2005, 09:17 AM
Victoria, What dojo do you train at? how close to cardiff city center are you, i have been sent here on business and would like to check out a new dojo, im only here for another week or so but it might still be worth it

11-15-2005, 10:34 AM
Hi Steve,

I'm not a member of a dojo, but I'm going along to the one on City Road next week to have a look. There's a link at the beginning of this thread for the clubs, it's plasnewydd

Are you in the center? City Road is a turning of Newport Road