PDA

View Full Version : New book from Doshu

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

crbateman
11-14-2005, 08:16 PM
Just wanted to put up a notice about a new book, "Progressive Aikido: The Essential Elements" by Moriteru Ueshiba Doshu (translated by John Stevens) that is due out from Kodansha in early January. It's a predominantly technical text, aimed at beginning to intermediate students. Pre-orders are being taken now on Amazon and Kodansha sites. I'm reading mine now, and I'll post some comments when I'm through...

SeiserL
11-14-2005, 08:24 PM
I have found all of the Ueshiba books excellent.
I'll put this on my holiday wish list.

akiy
11-14-2005, 09:56 PM
Hi Clark,

If you have the time, can you add the book to the book reviews (http://www.aikiweb.com/reviews/index.php?cat=1) section of this site? You can use the Add New Product (http://www.aikiweb.com/reviews/uploadproduct.php?cat=1) link located near the top of the page to add books (videos, equipment, etc) to the site.

Of course, everyone is encouraged to do this. If you find an aikido book/video/equipment/etc that is not yet in the reviews section of this site, please help the entire community by taking a few minutes to add the product. Reviews are, of course, not only welcome but also encouraged as well.

Thanks,

-- Jun

kokyu
11-15-2005, 08:20 AM
I believe this book is a translation of Aikido Jotatsu. I have read the original Japanese version and it is really good as it zooms in on the finer details of the waza - i.e. it shows the moves as one would see it in its entirety, before zooming in on the critical parts, frame-by-frame

I only wish Doshu had covered more techniques in this book... sigh!

crbateman
11-15-2005, 06:39 PM
I believe this book is a translation of Aikido Jotatsu. I have read the original Japanese version and it is really good as it zooms in on the finer details of the waza - i.e. it shows the moves as one would see it in its entirety, before zooming in on the critical parts, frame-by-frameYes, I believe that is correct. The highlights and points of emphasis in the discussion are embellished in sidebars called "Points".
I only wish Doshu had covered more techniques in this book... sigh!Then what would he have to write about in his NEXT book?

batemanb
11-17-2005, 01:20 AM
Just wanted to put up a notice about a new book, "Progressive Aikido: The Essential Elements" by Moriteru Ueshiba Doshu (translated by John Stevens) that is due out from Kodansha in early January.

Delivered this morning :).

Looking forward to reading it.

rgds

Bryan

crbateman
11-17-2005, 12:52 PM
Bryan, I'm enjoying it. There's no revelations or epiphanies in there, and the material is basic to intermediate, but I like the format and attention to detailed explanations.

batemanb
11-18-2005, 12:40 AM
I glanced through it briefly last night in the 5 minutes I had between arriving home and going back out to keiko. The initial set of photo's regaring ukemi and tegatana look to be very similar to those in his previous books (I have the Japanese originals). I 'm just saying that from what I saw, I haven't had a chance to compare them yet.

Having said that, I do like his books.

rgds

Bryan

crbateman
11-18-2005, 02:56 AM
Bryan, if you have read "Aikido Jotatsu", then it's all going to look very familiar.

crbateman
12-03-2005, 11:50 AM
Hi Clark,

If you have the time, can you add the book to the book reviews (http://www.aikiweb.com/reviews/index.php?cat=1) section of this site? Done...

justin
12-03-2005, 12:59 PM
tried to order from amazon and they cant deliver until after xmas boo hoo

crbateman
12-03-2005, 02:33 PM
Justin, I think there's one on eBay right now, and I know that East Coast Martial Arts Supply (www.ecmas.com) has a few copies in stock, although probably at closer to the cover price than Amazon.

akiy
12-04-2005, 12:24 AM
Hi Clark,

Thanks for adding the book to the reviews section and for posting your review!

-- Jun