PDA

View Full Version : Meditation, Science and the Dalai Lama

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

tedehara
11-12-2005, 09:31 AM
An interesting article on the Dalai Lama and Neuroscience from NPR.

The Links Between the Dalai Lama and Neuroscience (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5008565&ft=1&f=1007)

As more people in the west practice meditation, investigation into its practices and results are under more scrutiny. As westerners investigate and integrate their findings into various disciplines, that fine line between religion and a secular discipline like psychology, becomes more blurred.

Kevin Leavitt
11-13-2005, 07:16 AM
Yes this is very interesting. I have been following the Dali Lama and his engagement with the scientific community for a couple of years now. It is amazing how he is embracing and learning from them.

One thing I find interesting is the whole conflict with his dogmatic beliefs in re-incarnation etc with science. The science community isn't comfortable with it, but the Dali Lama seems to have no worries.

Asked at some point about what would he do if the scientist proved conclusively that re-incarnation was not a true concept, then the Dali Lama said something like (laughed and said, then oh well!).

SeiserL
11-13-2005, 12:21 PM
IMHO, the Dalia Lama is an excellent example of true Aikido in action.

When I read MindScience of Consciousness at the Crossroads, I was impressed with how much he was able to just listen, enter and blend, rather than resist and lecture.

Higher levels of logic tend to be inclusive and have minimal difficulty with people who choose to believe otherwise.

Truly an inspiration.

Ian Thake
11-17-2005, 06:26 AM
If you can spare the time for a book review, how different are "Mindscience" & "Consciousness at the Crossroads" in the grounds they cover? Amazon's summaries of them aren't too informative...

SeiserL
11-17-2005, 09:51 AM
If you can spare the time for a book review, how different are "Mindscience" & "Consciousness at the Crossroads" in the grounds they cover? Amazon's summaries of them aren't too informative...
IMHO, while both are interesting, there is too much other people and not enough Dalai Lama in the dialogue. Actually wouldn't recommend either unless you pick them up at the used book store. Read "The Art of Happiness" instead.

Ron Tisdale
11-17-2005, 09:59 AM
I heard this story on NPR. It was very interesting. Especially since in the states we now have Pat Robertson damning a whole town because they threw out the school board that pushed the latest psudo-science-religeon into the science classes. Intelligent design I think they call it. What an oxymoron!

Best,
Ron (people really amaze me)

Don_Modesto
11-17-2005, 02:29 PM
I heard this story on NPR. It was very interesting. Especially since in the states we now have Pat Robertson damning a whole town because they threw out the school board that pushed the latest psudo-science-religeon into the science classes. Intelligent design I think they call it. What an oxymoron!

Best,
Ron (people really amaze me)

Tonic for the soul:

http://www.venganza.org/

Ron Tisdale
11-18-2005, 07:59 AM
Priceless....

:) RT

Tonic for the soul:

http://www.venganza.org/

Jim ashby
11-18-2005, 08:42 AM
Absolutely hilarious and exactly as believeable (and with the same provenance) as christianity. Vengaza I raise my hat to you -Superb!!

deepsoup
11-19-2005, 08:39 AM
Delicious.
I think I may convert to Pastafarianism. Maybe I've been touched by His Noodly Appendage. :)

Sean
x