View Full Version : Name that technique!

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

11-11-2005, 11:49 AM
Okay, I was working on this yesterday, and I can't remember the name of it, and I'm too impatient to wait until sunday to ask my sensei, so I'll try to describe it in detail, and if anyone out there is significantly bored enough to read all the way through this and tell me what it's called, I'd much appreciate it. If not, I understand.

Alright... I'll try to make this as easy to understand as possible. It starts with uke attacking overhand with the blade of his hand as if he were going to strike you directly in the forehead (I know this has a name too, but I'm like 62nd Kyu or whatever)

In response to this, I would do something with my feet (I'm trying to physically work this out right now in my office chair, it's pretty amusing, you should see it), reach up to get a feel on the attacking arm (right at the wrist), push the side of Uke's head into my shoulder, turn Uke around (approx 180 degrees), lower his head (while turning), and then when he starts to stand back up, turn his head slightly the opposite way using my hand/arm, slightly reveerse the direction of the turning motion, and cause him to fall on his back... this description is horrible, I'm starting to realize (mostly because I can't remember which way to step)...

Alright, horrible, but if someone can decipher that, it'd be appreciated. Thanks!


(I'll get better, I promise, but my head is already packed full of three languages, so the japanese is kinda rough)

11-11-2005, 12:14 PM
Shomenuchi iriminage ura, and your description was fine :)

11-11-2005, 12:45 PM
You rock! Now, cross referencing that name with the list of techniques over in the General=>Aikido 3d thread, I see "Shomenuchi irminage", and a few techniques that have a "ura" or "omota" on the end... so is there a "Shomenuchi iriminage omota"? And how is it different? (i'm guessing it's something that can be applied to many techniques, since I saw this designation on many of them)



Ron Tisdale
11-11-2005, 01:41 PM

is an excellent thread. Jun's and Peter Goldsbury's posts are the top on the list...


11-11-2005, 02:02 PM
To oversimplify, in an omote technique you enter forward, while in an ura technique you get behind uke (your partner).