PDA

View Full Version : "Women Dominate Aikido"

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

AikiWeb System
11-11-2005, 08:43 AM
Posted 2005-11-11 08:43:32 by Jun Akiyama
News URL: http://www.thetraveleronline.com/media/paper688/news/2005/11/11/lifestyles/women.dominate.aikido-1053932.shtml

Here's an interesting article entitled, "Women Dominate Aikido" (http://www.thetraveleronline.com/media/paper688/news/2005/11/11/Lifestyles/Women.Dominate.Aikido-1053932.shtml) which discusses how women in Edward Mink sensei's dojo learn aikido at the University of Arkansas. "Mink said women perform 'wonderfully' in his class, better than the men, especially in the beginning. 'It is a graceful art, hip-oriented and involves blending and flowing, and women pick up on those things much faster than men in general,' Mink said. 'Men tend to be rigid and very herky-jerky in the movements.'"

Qatana
11-11-2005, 08:53 AM
Didn't we just Have this discussion?

Ron Tisdale
11-11-2005, 09:19 AM
Yep...

Best,
Ron

dj_swim
11-11-2005, 11:48 AM
I can understand it... the lower center of gravity probably helps as well...

RobertFortune
11-11-2005, 12:45 PM
[B]I recall speaking with someone in New York City (Manhattan) several years back who told me that a number of professional female ballet dancers worked out in the 18th Street Aikido dojo which made sense to me in that it would help likely help with balance, movement through space, graceful controlled landing, working with a partner plus general overall physical well-being, strength and flexibility.

Melissa Fischer
11-12-2005, 10:43 PM
Speaking as a retired pro. ballet dancer, I can say my background helped with gracefulness, athleticism and learning choreography in the beginning only. I am now at the end of that advantage and am finding that it is not about "performing wonderfully" or even "dominating Aikido" or anything else except maybe yourself.

I guess we can never have too many articles about women in Aikido.

Melissa

asiawide
11-13-2005, 02:32 AM
The real secret is that there are always bunch of men who are very much spontaneous to teach women everything what they know about aikido. :)

Jaemin

giriasis
11-13-2005, 12:08 PM
The real secret is that there are always bunch of men who are very much spontaneous to teach women everything what they know about aikido. :)

Jaemin

Yep, especially on their first day of class. ;)

Actually if women dominated aikido then why are there not more women?

Joking aside...

I read the article and it is good that aikido gets coverage from the media, but as the media they are always looking for a hook to write their article. Looks like this was their "hook."

Qatana
11-13-2005, 12:45 PM
Personally I find that ballet (10 years) and aikido(3 years) directly contradict each other, speaking technically. Ballet is oriented up and away from center, akido is down and into center.

giriasis
11-13-2005, 04:27 PM
Yes, we had one woman join with a ballet background and she ended up quitting because she got extremely frustrated because she thought she should learn it more quickly.

crbateman
11-14-2005, 08:06 PM
Actually if women dominated aikido then why are there not more women?I thought that's why we all have to wear skirts... :D

giriasis
11-15-2005, 08:40 PM
I thought that's why we all have to wear skirts... :D

LOL :D

Man, you guys look so much better in them than this shapely woman.

Melissa Fischer
11-18-2005, 11:14 PM
One more note on the ballet/Aikido comparison. Knowing that one is a beginner in ballet for 5 or 6 years minimum did help me understand the seriousness required, and time and stick-to-it-iveness, so I was not expecting to master this new art right away. Also, corrections didn't hurt my feelings, my body was used to taking a beating and I didn't expect encouragement, all good things. That was truly a female dominated world!

BTW, you think the hakamas make you look fat...try those unitards and tutus!

m.

www.tenzanaikido.com