PDA

View Full Version : You might be an Aikido addict if ....

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

ChristianBoddum
10-01-2007, 06:19 PM
Your favorite food is Sloppy Jo !

wideawakedreamer
10-02-2007, 12:21 AM
You visit your Japanese fiancee's parents' house and find it hard to resist doing ukemi all over their tatami-covered dining room. Then you go to her brother's new house and play with his 1-year-old son as an excuse to do ukemi all over his tatami-covered room.

aikiborrago
10-07-2007, 12:08 AM
hahaha every one of these is sooooooo true.....i can think of at least 5 people at our dojo for which almost all of these are true.

aikiborrago
10-07-2007, 12:14 AM
>You hope for the next installment of the Street Fighter series to finally have an Aikido character (flowing Hakama and all), with the coolest Shihonages, Kotegaeshis and Kokyunages (ki-blasts optional).

>You have as much fun with Aikido3D now, as you did with Tekken 3 when it first came out (love to turn uke invisible in tantodori. The floating tanto looks cool!).

Hey! Did I just give away that I'm a gamer? :blush:

:D :D :D

-U-

auka kazama is fun to play with..............aikidogi hakama mma gloves shin/instep guards, aiki throws, capoeira like kicks, open hand strikes..........wait sounds just like me......hmmm.

aikiborrago
10-07-2007, 12:35 AM
you are hospitalized for a cardiac condition and you:

1) critic the relaxation channel's methods

2)perform oneness rhythm and hitori waza in your room

3)keep setting of the respiration alarm every time you do ki breathing

4)give the nurses advise on keeping onepoint while pushing you in the wheelchair(i swear it makes it easier).

5)demand to be released 2 days early so u don't miss a seminar.

6)ask the 3rd shift nurses if u can use their computers to watch your taigi dvd at 3:30am

7) butter your hospital toast with plus ki so u can get out sooner

8)when offered a pain pill u respond "no thanks...could use some kiatsu though....know what that is?.......wanna learn?

9) think of all the ways your iv pole could be used as a weapon

10) you say "KAMPAI" when you take your pills

Jane
10-15-2007, 11:34 AM
You best girl friend advises you not to talk about your aikido passion for it might drive guys away!
... you're mad because that test took so long to end: you'll never make it on time to the dojo :((

Lachlan Kadick
10-16-2007, 12:13 AM
You might be an Aikido addict if....

-You picked your college based upon it's distance from your home dojo.
-Since the college you picked is still an hour away you started a college club.
-After the first month of your club you already have 4 classes a week.
-You still visit your home dojo every Friday night for weapons and just to let your friends meet your Sensei, and the obvious... and train with him.
-You're surprised when you visit the local Wegmann's (a local grocery chain) and you don't see someone from the dojo.
-The main stuff on your desks bulletin board is Aikido related.
-Your friends get annoyed because you talk about Aikido too much.
-During the summer you spend more time at the dojo than your Sensei.
-You carry the "Art of Peace" in your pocket.
-Most of the shirts you wear are Aikido related.
-Your friends randomly attack you just to see what you'll do.
-Your friends end up not attacking you anymore because they learn what you can do.(not in a bad way... I hope o.o ^_^)
-You meet someone from a city in your state and you're surprised if you don't know at least one instructor in that city.
-The main books on your desk are Aikido related.
-You read through all of the forums hoping you find someone who posts something so you don't need to.
-You watch a fight on TV and ponder how to improve both of the guys defenses.
-You don't meet girls because you're always doing Aikido.
-You sleep on your back, because other wise your mind will instantly think your in a pin.
-You teach your college friends breathing exercises so they don't need to drink coffee.
-Your friend runs up behind you and jumps on your back for a piggy back ride, and the next thing you know they're on their back under you with wide eyes laughing because you flipped them.

Ryan Sanford
10-16-2007, 02:52 PM
you are hospitalized for a cardiac condition and you:

1) critic the relaxation channel's methods

3)keep setting of the respiration alarm every time you do ki breathing

4)give the nurses advise on keeping onepoint while pushing you in the wheelchair(i swear it makes it easier).

5)demand to be released 2 days early so u don't miss a seminar

Sorry to hear about your hospitalization, but those are definitely I can see myself doing! It's just like when I tell my co-workers to keep one point when we move tables around. "Push from your center, use your hips!" :D

Angela Dunn
10-17-2007, 06:52 AM
your considering going back to uni if you can find a course you could fit what you learnt in aikdo into it.

Your considering quiting your job because it gets in the way of training...(Its kinda true, also because the management sucks!)

All your spare money goes on aikido related stuff.

TeppoLeinonen
10-18-2007, 01:09 AM
Surefire way to know you're an Aikido Addict:

You look forward to class on your own birthday, because it measn you'll get thrown as many times by the entire club as you're hitting years... And you look more ot it every piling year. :)

Kakita
10-19-2007, 01:07 PM
Surefire way to know you're an Aikido Addict:

You look forward to class on your own birthday, because it measn you'll get thrown as many times by the entire club as you're hitting years... And you look more ot it every piling year. :)

I'll have to convince my group to do this. Although whether they'll be open over xmas is still to be seen:sorry:

wideawakedreamer
10-25-2007, 04:58 AM
-You watch a fight on TV and ponder how to improve both of the guys defenses.

LOL yeah sometimes I do that too.:D

Larry Cuvin
10-25-2007, 10:20 AM
You might be an akido addict if:
After all this time, you still come back and read the latest post in "You might be and aikido addict if..."

Angela Dunn
10-27-2007, 07:11 PM
On your hard drive(never to be seen by anyone else,at least not till it has been edited :) ) there is a draft for a musical featuring members of an aikido class.....

and you can identify which members of your own class inspired the characters

to the point that things they have said somehow got put into the characters dialogue.

and the opening stage directions feature the lines,

"Downstage left is a dojo area which must have a pile of mats ready for the characters to move and perform on. No shoes are socks are to be worn in this area on fear of pain expertly caused by a grade higher than me on nerves that I have yet to identify. But It will Hurt. A lot! A picture of O sensei must be shown in this area whenever it is in use.

(It should be pointed out at the time I wrote it everyone was a higher grade than me!)

Obsessed much!

Erik Jögimar
10-28-2007, 01:22 AM
jokes aside, i'm definately surprised about the aikido dreams. Had them from my first day at the dojo, and they come each and every night. Mehehehe to bad i cant actually use the hours spent dreaming toward the grading requirement ;)

gdandscompserv
11-19-2007, 05:34 PM
You ask for a 7 AM:crazy: wakeup call to your room at the Golden Nugget Hotel in Las Vegas so you can make it to the 9 AM aikido class at Desert Winds Martial Arts. A sincere thank you to James Sterling sensei and his students for allowing me to train with them. Nice dojo, great people.:)

CNYMike
11-20-2007, 11:26 AM
.... you are relieved there will be practice this Wednesday because the thought of a week without Aikido had made you feel like you were going to jump out of your skin.

... you think you may have said the same thing in this thread a long time ago.

.... you started this thread.

Angela Dunn
11-22-2007, 04:23 PM
The person interviewing you for a new job read the words Aikido on the application form and declined to shake your hand!

Tony Hudspith
11-24-2007, 01:26 PM
The person interviewing you for a new job read the words Aikido on the application form and declined to shake your hand!

They must have heard you are one of mine!!!!!!!!! :p :D
See you at class

Tony

wideawakedreamer
11-25-2007, 09:56 AM
you grip the handle of your briefcase with your middle, ring, and pinky fingers like you would a bokken.

mriehle
11-26-2007, 12:51 PM
you grip the handle of your briefcase with your middle, ring, and pinky fingers like you would a bokken.

Right, then. What's wrong with that? I do exactly that...

Angela Dunn
11-26-2007, 06:11 PM
They must have heard you are one of mine!!!!!!!!! :p :D
See you at class

Tony

Maybe so. Either way they lost out on my fabulous admin skills because I did not get said job. Their loss will be someone elses gain!

And even weirder is when your current boss threatens to send you out with a pole to go sort out trouble makers because, "Well your a yellow belt now and so can think of a way to use this to go sort them out. Or you could go kick their butts..."
"

Or when conversations start with "Which nights are you going to go to go roll about with people next weeks so I know when to not rota you in?"

My boss is a lovely person really.

wideawakedreamer
11-27-2007, 11:15 PM
Right, then. What's wrong with that? I do exactly that...

So do I, to practice gripping the bokken even if I'm not in the dojo.

CNYMike
12-03-2007, 11:52 AM
....you are heartbroken at the thought of leaving a seminar early because you had to get home and feed your dog. (This is worse if you're a Kali person and they've been doing jo. Trust me.)

.... you had to remind yourself not to go back and sit in the next day because you had to get food.

... you started this thread, and you still add to it.

Shannon Frye
12-03-2007, 11:06 PM
You take your 4 yr old son fishing for the first time, and he starts casting by using a shomen strike (that daddy taught him to do with a bokken). ( and VERY effectively, I might add!)

When I showed him how to cast from the side, it landed 3 feet in front of him. When he switched back to a bokken grip and a shomen strike, it flew about 20 feet out in the water.

dps
12-04-2007, 02:42 PM
You start a thread on Aikiweb without even knowing you did.

Re: Teachingsyllabus
http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12091
Post #15

"Can I just say I didn't start this thread and I have no idea how it was started in my name...am a bit concerned about this. Obviously I need to go change my password in case someone has cracked it. Either that or I'm more of an akiaddict than I thought and was doing so in my sleep."

Sharon Snodgrass

David

belter
12-07-2007, 02:44 PM
You see a child in a toy store swinging a plastic sword at a presumed sibling. You think "bad boy; no follow through".

wideawakedreamer
12-08-2007, 02:09 AM
lol, or if you find yourself correcting that child's form.:D

CatSienna
12-08-2007, 07:46 AM
You start a thread on Aikiweb without even knowing you did.

Re: Teachingsyllabus
http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12091
Post #15

David

touche :D

CNYMike
12-08-2007, 08:07 AM
touche :D

If you haven't seen Jun's reply yet, he explained how it happened. (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showpost.php?p=195051&postcount=16) So you're not that far gone .... maybe .....

:)

CNYMike
12-08-2007, 08:10 AM
... you note when a lock or throw you learn in Kali or Jun Fan looks like something in Aikido, but never the other way around.

Lorien Lowe
12-23-2007, 02:19 AM
You see fighters at a ren-fair and think, 'they're not training very realistically!'

Cypher
12-31-2007, 01:56 AM
you feel a itch to preform ikkyo when your daughter holds your hand ....
you drag as many friends as possible to the dojo so you can practice outside the dojo
you think a 7 hour training day is a GOOD idea
the ambulance crew know your name
:D :D :D

Sweet!!!:D

Cypher
12-31-2007, 01:58 AM
Have Aikido tattoo put on your arm????

CNYMike
01-01-2008, 11:38 AM
.... you went to your third Etsunen-Geiko last night.

... you were determined to go this year because a cold prevented you from going last year

... you started this thread.

mikeygh
01-23-2008, 06:32 AM
Have Aikido tattoo put on your arm????

Oh dear, guilty as charged :rolleyes:

peejaymc
01-23-2008, 01:41 PM
me too!!

dps
01-24-2008, 12:59 AM
Any building you are in that has a large area in it you think, "Gee this would make a great dojo.".

David

mikeygh
01-24-2008, 06:13 AM
I have just moved into a new town and found 2 or 3 suitable locations for a dojo in the first day. Forget the unpacking, I have training to do.:D

Joseph Madden
01-27-2008, 01:08 PM
:D

All your sneezes come out as OSU!... OSU!.... OSU!...aaaaaah... OSU!

Your search in vain for a new car....the 2008 Kancho.

Karen Wolek
01-27-2008, 07:52 PM
Your kid has a birthday party at a gymnastics school and you are just dying to take ukemi on the very bouncy sprung floors!

Angela Dunn
01-29-2008, 06:55 AM
Your two year old nephew loves playing with his aunt as she lets him hit her over the head with a shomen strike. (Only he knows it as the bash bosh game)

And his is better than mine!

And he comes out with "I need a yellow belt like Ange" and he loves getting carried by his aunt when shes practicing her footwork.

(Ah I love my nephew, he is the only one who gets his aunties mad antics.)

reisler
01-29-2008, 10:47 AM
You try Ikkyo on your dog because the family is tired of you practicing on them :eek:

ps. didn't work, she can't bend that direction

Zolley
02-11-2008, 05:33 AM
... when you are cold at home you don't turn on the heating or put on more clothes but do an aikido-style warm-up (and you say it's just because you are saving on the energy bill)

... you close your eyes after going to bed and see aikido techniques played in front of you

... sometimes you participate in these techniques as tori (but that needs much more concentration)

... you can't sleep because you suddenly remembered a good topic for your aikido blog and can't beat it out of your head until you have it completely 'written' in your mind (usually starts at 2am and finishes at 4am):hypno:

Zolley
http://aikidolondon.blogspot.com

pezalinski
02-11-2008, 03:48 PM
... You move into an apartment above the dojo so you'll have a really short commute to class.
... You have class schedules for 10+ dojos on your smartphone, so you always know where to go on a "free" day.
... You'd never consider dating a fellow aikidoka because then you could never get any time away from them.

boyana
02-11-2008, 08:38 PM
if you met somebody,and you fall in love,but inside you think would he or she start AIKIDO.
That is my case!

reisler
02-29-2008, 10:41 AM
You might be an Aikido addict if ...

2. You can look at the various bruises on your hands, wrists, and forearms and name who caused each of them and which technique they were doing. And, you smile fondly as you think of each person even though they bruised you! :)

3. Your chiropractor begins each session with a deep sigh and, "You're still doing that aikido stuff, aren't you?"

6. Your gi gets washed 3 times more often than any other article of clothing in your wardrobe.

7. Someone asks why you are limping/not using an arm/hissing in pain when you bend over, and your story begins, "Oh, it was really great! In class yesterday, I finally got to try...."

8. Your friends don't even bother rolling their eyes or shaking their heads over the above anymore. They've given you over to aikido-addiction with no hope of return.

9. A good aikido class makes for a good mood for a day or two pretty much no matter what. A bad class, when you are mad at yourself and completely disgusted with your own ineptitude and mentally kicking yourself over being a completely useless idiot on the mats, makes for a cranky couple of days pretty much no matter what.

I'm an addict: the aikido dreams have begun! :p

:D welcome to my world!!!:D

dragonteeth
02-29-2008, 06:07 PM
.....you discover that you can negotiate curves at higher speed if you yonkyo your steering wheel.

.....you discover while reviewing receipts for your tax return that a good number of your purchases were aikido (or iaido) related.

....you try to think of imaginative ways to deduct those purchases and get away with it.

....babysitting during aikido has its own line item on your budget, clocking in just shy of your car payment.

....you have to talk yourself out of using a sankyo to haul your screaming child out of the Walmart toy department.

SentWest
03-02-2008, 11:37 AM
...you wear a gi in your dreams occasionally, in situations unrelated to aikido.

...any time you get close enough to the ground you fold up in seiza.

...you wish your neighbors were a little less sensitive so you could practice breakfalls in your apartment.

Chris Lacey
03-07-2008, 05:19 PM
1) You don't settle things with rock-paper-scissors. Instead you use nikyo-sankyo-yonkyo...

2) Instead of taking your date home to meet your parents, you take her (or him!) to meet Sensei...

3) You take a header over the handlebars of your bicycle and four successive forward rolls save you from getting road rash...

4) You want to try Number 3 again....

5) You step forward, turn tenkan, pivot and step forward in your kitchen while coffee is brewing...

Chris Lacey
03-07-2008, 05:34 PM
Oh a couple more...

You light incense in the conference room before every team meeting...

On prom night your daughters date sees you practicing bokken katas ...with a live blade..

Connor Haberland
03-07-2008, 09:35 PM
Lol, id like to practice my bokken katas with a live blade. Too bad I dont own one.....so far. Ive been trying to get my Dad to allow me to by one.

Callista
03-09-2008, 07:55 PM
I can relate to this one.....

"If after not doing Aikido for 6 months you go to class and go home in pain, but you loved every minute of it."*

*paraphrased.

I was training at another school, and ended up with a torn rotator cuff, which is doing a lot better now. I was so sore after my first class (3 weeks ago) at Stillpoint. But I loved every minute of it :)

Oh, and by the way, Connor; I DO have a live blade. Wish it wasn't illegal to carry around :(

ps: What is Tai Sabachi?

Connor Haberland
03-09-2008, 09:13 PM
Think you could hook me up? lol. Yeah if i had one I would hate the fact that its illegal to carry around. Taisabaki is Japanese for Body Movement. Meaning as one comes to attack get out of the way, or move away so that you can defend yourself.

Connor

Glad I could help.

Callista
03-09-2008, 11:45 PM
Domo, Connor! I'm still learning the Japanese, or rather re-learning. :)

Chris Lacey
03-10-2008, 10:40 AM
Oh, and by the way, Connor; I DO have a live blade. Wish it wasn't illegal to carry around :(

LOL! I lived in Austin for 17 years. I bet if you put it in a gun rack of a pickup above the shotgun, no one would notice... :D

Discalimer: I am not advocating breaking any federal, regional, state or local laws.

Selnith
04-20-2008, 06:01 PM
. . . you haven't logged onto this site for some months and the first topic you check is this one

. . . on meeting new Martial Artists your friends wince because they can see what's going to happen, and then rate the newbies on whether or not they follow your instructions to "grab my wrist" the rating continues until they have all learnt that grabbing the social sec's wrist will equal pain.

. . . you consider your grade in other martial arts as "time fillers" till you can get back to training for aikido

. . . you come home from uni for a weekend a day early so you can get a training session in, and surprise your boyfriend in one simple action (and it worked so well, he was taking the class and about to take the bow when i walked in, so he started grinning and the class didn't realise why till they turned to look)

. . . you learn to use a sword and a jo in a different martial art and spend the entire time wondering if what you're learning will be applicable in aikido

Goye
04-21-2008, 10:29 AM
You try Ikkyo on your dog because the family is tired of you practicing on them :eek:

ps. didn't work, she can't bend that direction

Heyy,,,.. Kotegaeshi does works with dogs,...:)

No animals were killed or injured in the research activity.:rolleyes:

Goye
04-21-2008, 11:09 AM
You usually celebrate birthdays (to your friends and they also to you) with a koshinage for each year.

dragonteeth
04-21-2008, 12:26 PM
...you've ever considered relocating, and checked every possible job posting against the Aikiweb dojo search to make sure you can continue feeding the habit.

...after spending hours working away at the above, you rank your job choices based on which site has the coolest training opportunities nearby rather than on trivial things like pay and benefits.

Jennifer Yabut
04-21-2008, 01:47 PM
You usually celebrate birthdays (to your friends and they also to you) with a koshinage for each year.

Haha...my dojo actually has a "tradition" where the birthday person gets thrown by everyone at the end of class. I already asked to get thrown on my birthday; one of my friends said I was "weird" to make that request. :p

Ron Tisdale
04-21-2008, 02:21 PM
Hmmm. 47 ukemi is ok...just not 47 koshinage! :(

B,
R

reisler
04-22-2008, 10:17 AM
Heyy,,,.. Kotegaeshi does works with dogs,...:)

No animals were killed or injured in the research activity.:rolleyes:

LOL, I will have to try that :crazy:

mriehle
04-23-2008, 04:42 PM
...You're trying to talk your wife into letting you join another dojo so you can train more often.

...You pay the mat fee at two dojos besides your home dojo in order to train more often.

...The soreness in your muscles today is enough to convince you that you need to train more often.

...You do yardwork on weekends to help with your physical conditioning so you can train more often.

...You try to use a rowing exercise movement with your hoe while doing yardwork.

...You keep a rubber bokken in your office at work to practice with while waiting for tests to run.

Randy Sexton
04-24-2008, 02:30 PM
You are at a party and someone innocently asks you the question;
Exactly how many martial arts weapons do you own?
Your wife groans in agony and reaches for another drink and you have to answer their question with the following questions.
1. Wood or Steel?
2. Sharpened edge or dull?
3. Training weapon or a real weapon?
Of course, then you spend the next 30 minutes explaining that a training weapon is a real weapon but instead of a sharp edge you use a dull edge and instead of steel you typically use wood for safety reasons (insert additional 10 minutes discussing the various attributes of hickory versus white or red oak or osage orange) then discuss the philosphy behind using weapons for true defense weapons versus learning the sword techiques to apply the motions to hand techniques in Aikido. Of course, then you feel obligated to discuss the atrributes of using a Jo versus a sword (insert 5 minutes discussing the advantages of laminated versus solid wood).
The true answer to whether you are an addict is bothering to discuss the above questions rather than just saying
"18 and counting"

Doc Sexton

Selnith
04-29-2008, 03:53 AM
when your parents decide you're coming home for a weekend, buy you train tickets, and one of your first thoughts is "darn, bank holiday monday, no class, maybe i could go on sunday"

Jennifer Yabut
04-29-2008, 12:17 PM
...you spend every free moment watching training footage on your PDA, Crackberry, cell phone, etc.

dragonteeth
04-29-2008, 12:34 PM
...you keep coming back to a thread that now has over 26,000 views!

reisler
05-07-2008, 03:18 PM
You know you are an addict when you think about Aikido and count the hours till you can get back on the mat no matter what else you are doing... first thought in morning, last thought at night, every conversation at work, most at home (even though subject has been banned) Some call it obsession, I call it life!! :rolleyes:

Selnith
05-08-2008, 04:43 AM
you're addicted to aikido when in the pub after a ju jitsu session you start telling your friends all about aikido, the hierarchy, all the great places you get to train etc. etc. etc. then realise you can't remember how you got onto the topic and shut up
within 5 minutes of shutting up you're demonstrating techniques on a lower kyu

CNYMike
05-08-2008, 09:14 AM
.... Some call it obsession, I call it life!! :rolleyes:

Budo is the way of the Warrior; it's a way of life. At some point, if you stick with martial arts long enough, it becomes a part of you. You stop being someone who goes to martial arts classes and you are a martial artist. It's the difference between someone who can bang out Chopsticks and a concert pianist. Martial arts have been a part of my life for half my life, literally, and I've realized stopping would just hurt like h-e-double-toothpicks. Except when I've been sick, there hasn't been one week in the past 23 years when I havne't trained. My Kali instructor has said "It never stops." It doesn't. "Until your last breath," as some say.

And I wouldn't have it any other way. l love this stuff. Just took me a while to finally realize it!

We now return you to your regularly scheduled joking around.

CNYMike
05-08-2008, 09:20 AM
On prom night your daughters date sees you practicing bokken katas ...with a live blade..

And make sure her date "accidentally" sees you doing it, right? :D

Bruce H
05-08-2008, 12:25 PM
Aikido addict, isn't that an oxy-moron?

Selnith
05-09-2008, 02:52 AM
Budo is the way of the Warrior; it's a way of life. At some point, if you stick with martial arts long enough, it becomes a part of you. You stop being someone who goes to martial arts classes and you are a martial artist. It's the difference between someone who can bang out Chopsticks and a concert pianist. Martial arts have been a part of my life for half my life, literally, and I've realized stopping would just hurt like h-e-double-toothpicks. Except when I've been sick, there hasn't been one week in the past 23 years when I havne't trained. My Kali instructor has said "It never stops." It doesn't. "Until your last breath," as some say.

And I wouldn't have it any other way. l love this stuff. Just took me a while to finally realize it!

We now return you to your regularly scheduled joking around.

our sensei tells "Quitters never win and winners never quit."

Angela Dunn
05-15-2008, 10:32 AM
Your Open University Tutor group that you only talk to online ask you about how training is going.

In your bosses work diary grading days are all marked in. And she knows not only what night each class is but the times and location. I am sure there is a course guide at work to.

The first person whom has read any of my fiction writing, outside of uni and my mam was my Sensei. And it was about aikido!

The same story was enetered into a local contest. I was featured in the paper, contacting the paper to do a press interview for the other work much later and the reporter called me the aikido girl.

You end up being roped in to demonste aikido to your boss for someone coming in for an interview. For something entirely unrelated to aikido. He was a former dojo member. He got the job.

On a works night out to the bowling alley you end up getting into a conversation with the manager about aikido. May have had something to do with the fact I temporarily broke the lane with a bowling ball. My workmates told the staff that "She does that with people to."

Tony Hudspith
06-05-2008, 02:07 PM
On a works night out to the bowling alley you end up getting into a conversation with the manager about aikido. May have had something to do with the fact I temporarily broke the lane with a bowling ball. My workmates told the staff that "She does that with people to."
I can't believe you broke the bowling alley. Surely you harmonised with it. Isn't that what I've been teaching you all this time. you don't break bones you love them in a hamonious way. (Mind you, you do make people bleed more than others in the class!!) ;)

Tony

Karen Wolek
06-05-2008, 08:17 PM

...You try to use a rowing exercise movement with your hoe while doing yardwork.

I was helping with yard work at the dojo recently, hoe-ing some soil. Sensei came by and told me to use my hips and told me it's just like the rowing exercise except it's the hoe-ing exercise. Har har.

(It did help)

Angela Dunn
06-13-2008, 06:31 PM
I can't believe you broke the bowling alley. Surely you harmonised with it. Isn't that what I've been teaching you all this time. you don't break bones you love them in a hamonious way. (Mind you, you do make people bleed more than others in the class!!) ;)

Tony

Well Okay, I harmonised with the bowling ball so effectively it got really into harmony with the lane. So Much that the machinery just had to stay and watch and join in all the harmonising. . Hense I got the blame for breaking the bowling alley. And I may have been just so slightly tipsy at the time.

Noted, its all harmony from now on, honnest!

(And as for the bleeding thing. Twice in six months I think I am doing pretty well at the whole not making people bleed thing now. )

TeppoLeinonen
06-16-2008, 05:14 AM
I think the funniest thing I have heard about addiction to aikido...

Sensei told of her wife, who, while in pregnancy training, asked the ObGyn 'when can I throw him again after I give birth?'

They were referred to marriage counselor in 20 seconds...

Then she has few hours of labor... And Sensei is being held in various locks (ikkyo, nikkyo, sankyo, yonkyo) all time.

He said that the female staff at the ward were thinking of asking Sensei's wife to teach other pregant mothers to do that 'to share the effort'...

Diane Stevenson
06-19-2008, 05:08 PM
You might be an Aikido addict if...

... you practice saying, "Shomen ni rei! ... Sensei ni rei!" in a "martial voice" while showering so that you are prepared if you are ever the most senior student to show up for practice. :eek:

... you spend half the afternoon reformatting all the aikido addiction posts so that you can print them to take to the dojo that evening. :hypno:

shnobryu
06-25-2008, 06:45 PM
..if you see an elderly person walking down the street with a large walking stick and you instinctively think to yourself 'hey what will i do if I that elderly person should all of a sudden gain enough strength and balance in their legs and throws a shomen attack my way with that undercover Jo'....

Jermaine
Aikido of Richmond, VA

jennifer paige smith
07-06-2008, 07:38 PM
you took a beginning class because the advertising declared, "The first hit's free.".

jen

Callista
07-09-2008, 06:43 PM
Connor, Sorry for not posting for a while in response to your request. I actually got my blade at TX RenFaire. It's a replica of the blade from Heroes, but works perfectly well for sword katas. I'm still getting comfortable working with a live blade though :| Check out http://www.trueswords.com, you might find something there. Or Amazon...

Bryan Sproles
07-15-2008, 06:50 PM
...when you come home from work at night, you open your door, remove your shoes and bow before entering.

...watch Steven Seagal movies and say things like "Wow, nice shihonage!" (Yes, I do this sometimes... :))

...you resort to buying JuJitsu or AikiJuJitsu books at the bookstore because you already own all the Aikido books they sell.

...you've been overseas and seen a new Aikido book that you don't have yet, so you buy it. (Me again...The Hidden Roots of Aikido that I bought in Singapore....)

-Bryan

jeffmaley
07-17-2008, 05:23 PM
- when you walk *anywhere* (in the office, at home, down the street..) and have to resist the urge to do a forward roll
- when you watch and re-watch the same 60sec of a steven seagal movie and try to identify the techniques
- when your wife tells you that if you buy anymore aikido books, she's changing the locks

Bryan Sproles
07-20-2008, 02:08 AM
U think incorporating your aikido in to the work place is a good idea...

A coworker last night (after our store closed) caught me at the end of doing a tenkan and practicing shihonage ;)

She said, "Got class soon?"

"Oh, uh, yeah, this Monday!" :)

-Bryan

Karen Wolek
07-20-2008, 10:38 AM
When you are at the beach with friends (yesterday), and you try underwater shikko and underwater ukemi....

Mark Uttech
07-20-2008, 02:10 PM
Wow. Underwater shikko! That I never thought of! Thanks!

In gassho,

Mark

CNYMike
07-21-2008, 09:12 PM
... you are thinking of taking your bokken and jo with you on your two week trip to Maine because you've got used to practicing with them almost daily.

James Edwards
07-25-2008, 12:15 PM
You stick an aikido calligraphy sticker along with one of an aikidoka in seiza on your car.

I just saw that car a few hours ago.

We've all had the urge to do those addictive forward rolls. Another symptom is wanting to go home from the dojo in shikko :S

CNYMike
07-25-2008, 09:44 PM
... you are going to take your jo and bokken along on your two week trip to Maine because you've got used to practicing with them regularly at home

Alexander Lee
08-26-2008, 08:56 AM
When sleeping you have a white oak bokken, a red oak bokken and a jo beside you. Constantly in your sleep you're counting to 31 in Japanese and in your mind the 31 kata are being displayed. When you wake up you roll out and shout 'Hai!' to wake everyone else up in the dormitory, only to find that you've drawn your bokken from its saya and its tip is on someone else's forehead.

Diane Stevenson
08-28-2008, 11:23 AM
Alexander, ....you are a scarey person. :eek:

AnniN
10-07-2008, 04:39 PM
I suppose I'm officially an Aikido addict now, the aikido dreams have started! :D I've had dreams involving the people in aikido before but none about actual aikido practice. I had this pretty stupid dream about us doing some solo exercises in the dojo and then one of the instructors said sth like: "I think I'm overweight so I think my weight is too much underside" and then we all proceeded to talk about what to do if your weight is too much underside :hypno: weird huh?

I've also had a dream earlier about Ms Trunchbull (from the kids movie Matilda) trying to invade my house with her evil subordinates and all of us from aikido having barricaded ourselves in my living room, waiting for her to break in through the back door... I was clutching my bokken and feeling awesome, I was like "yeah, lets do dome bashing!" Scary...:eek: :D

AnniN
10-07-2008, 05:00 PM
You know you are an aikido addict when you come home from practice and the first thing your housemate says is "What have you been drinking? [insert name here] is drunk again!"

All this because you're grinning insanely and dancing around because you've had such a great time and you're so high on endorphins :D

Andrew S
10-08-2008, 03:02 PM
You walk around your workplace doing nikyo and kotegaeshi stretching exercises on your wrists, or find yourself running through the footwork for kumitachi...

... happens to me...

caelifera
10-13-2008, 12:51 PM
... You whittle a Jo, Bokken, and Tanto set out of chopsticks.

Callista
10-15-2008, 11:16 PM
.....you find yourself doing Aiki techniques in a Jiu Jitsu class......

CNYMike
10-21-2008, 01:12 AM
... when Kali/Silat class is cancelled, you IMMEDIATELY go to Aikido. (Aikidoists can tell when this happen because the addict will show up with a t-shirt and sweat pants, not his keiko-gi, and a HUGE bag filled with padded gear).

.... you said pretty much the same thing when you started this thread almost three years ago.

.... you started this thread almost three years ago

.... when one of your Silat training partners asks about Aikido, you feel the only way to describe ikkyo is to borrow an arm and apply it.

.... your Silat training partner learns how to protect his wrists from you in under five minutes.

caelifera
10-21-2008, 08:54 AM
...You trim your hedges with a bokken...

Andrew S
10-21-2008, 03:55 PM
You consider sneaking a spare jo and bokuto to the workplace to practice with during breaks...

...happens to me!

Kieran Barrett
10-23-2008, 08:03 AM
.....when you start opening and closing doors by walking around them....

Peter Bowyer
10-27-2008, 08:58 AM
...your Sensei (or other yudansha) takes your balance in a split second, drills you into the mat before you know what happened, and you get up smiling!! :D

AnniN
10-27-2008, 03:52 PM
... you find yourself lurking in this forum instead of writing an essay thats due in on Thursday. :P

AnniN
10-27-2008, 04:24 PM
You might be an Aikido addict if ...

1. You've ever heard and/or said the following words:
"Ouch! Yeah! That hurts! GOOD!"
Especially, if that was followed by, "Do it again!"

2. You can look at the various bruises on your hands, wrists, and forearms and name who caused each of them and which technique they were doing. And, you smile fondly as you think of each person even though they bruised you!

3. Your chiropractor begins each session with a deep sigh and, "You're still doing that aikido stuff, aren't you?"

4. You consider breakfalls a good way to loosen up the gunk in your lungs while getting over bronchitis.

5. You do NOT want to sit down for a while, you do NOT want to miss a second of class, and you utter the words, "I'm OK. I'll hurt when I get home."

6. Your gi gets washed 3 times more often than any other article of clothing in your wardrobe.

7. Someone asks why you are limping/not using an arm/hissing in pain when you bend over, and your story begins, "Oh, it was really great! In class yesterday, I finally got to try...."

8. Your friends don't even bother rolling their eyes or shaking their heads over the above anymore. They've given you over to aikido-addiction with no hope of return.

9. A good aikido class makes for a good mood for a day or two pretty much no matter what. A bad class, when you are mad at yourself and completely disgusted with your own ineptitude and mentally kicking yourself over being a completely useless idiot on the mats, makes for a cranky couple of days pretty much no matter what.

10. Your knees always resemble purple, bony plums.

11. You spend the time between classes worrying about and praying over someone who got hurt/sick during the previous class. It pains you to see another aikidoka need to step off the mats.

12. Your think of your week as: Monday aikido class :) , Tuesday aikido class:) , a day without aikido class :( , another day without aikido class :( , another day without aikido class :( , Saturday's extra-long aikido class :D , the Sabbath to recover from Saturday's extra-long aikido class .

Well my knees don't really look like purple plums, however my arms often look like skin-and purple camouflage...:crazy:

I suppose my week would be: Monday day without aikido, Tuesday without aikido, Wednesday aikido class yay!:D, Thursday recovering from Wednesday's class but why can't there be another class today, I'd totally be up for it!, Friday aikido class:D , Saturday recovering from Fridays class, Sunday Oh why haven't they started Sunday weapons classes yet???:(

MarkCim
11-06-2008, 10:54 AM
If you take two days at work to read all 15 pages of this post

If your wife thinks you look hot in a gi.

If you feel a strange urge to keep checking this board...

If you have just started Aikido and it starts to become something that you think about more and more...

If you start wondering how your life will be different in a couple of years after a couple of years to Aikido...

If you are thinking about buying a home mat to practice at home.

If you wish that they had this for PE when you were in school...

Ash Thompson
11-07-2008, 09:07 AM
If you take two days at work to read all 15 pages of this post

If you feel a strange urge to keep checking this board...

If you have just started Aikido and it starts to become something that you think about more and more...

If you start wondering how your life will be different in a couple of years after a couple of years to Aikido...

If you are thinking about buying a home mat to practice at home. <-- The missus would kill me!

If you wish that they had this for PE when you were in school...

Guilty as charged!
Well, except replace "wife" with "wife-to-be" :D

Andrew S
11-07-2008, 04:28 PM
SWMBO threatens to divorce you if you spend any more time at keiko. :D

Disclaimer: This might indicate a problem with your wife rather than your Aikido addiction.

wideawakedreamer
11-07-2008, 10:14 PM

Or you think your wife looks hot in a gi.

Ash Thompson
11-08-2008, 04:16 AM

She does!

I feel I may be addicted!

How does reading this forum as often as possible, thinking and talking about Aikido constantly, having your fiancé study with you and having a picture of o'sensei in your living room sound?

Think I'm addicted?

:D I LOVE IT!

MarkCim
11-08-2008, 10:22 PM

Oh she does... :drool: She has not done Aikido but she is going to start after we have our 3rd son due in a couple of weeks...

Kim S.
11-09-2008, 04:27 PM
You use Aikido terminology and ideas to describe your over-all chess strategy during a game leaving your opponent dazed and confused.

(Unfortunately, I keep on dying a majority of the time, but with a thousand deaths- I'll have thousand and one victories in the hopefully-not-so-distant future).

wideawakedreamer
11-17-2008, 01:41 AM
Oh she does... :drool: She has not done Aikido but she is going to start after we have our 3rd son due in a couple of weeks...

lol I like that you put the drool emoticon there ;)

How long after she's given birth before it's safe for her to start training?

wideawakedreamer
11-17-2008, 01:43 AM
You use Aikido terminology and ideas to describe your over-all chess strategy during a game leaving your opponent dazed and confused.

(Unfortunately, I keep on dying a majority of the time, but with a thousand deaths- I'll have thousand and one victories in the hopefully-not-so-distant future).

Hmmmm...maybe you shouldn't mention your strategy to your opponents - takes away the element of surprise:D

MarkCim
11-17-2008, 03:56 PM
lol I like that you put the drool emoticon there ;)

How long after she's given birth before it's safe for her to start training?

Well the Doctor said about 6 to 8 weeks then she can start having fun. Whooo Hoooo...

Yea I like that :drool: Icon. LOL....

M Butt
12-02-2008, 01:08 PM
you use certain techniques to move your partner into certain positions in bed (the sad thing is, she can counter them now)

When you turn over in bed at night you are posting your foot and sliding your hips to turn instead of just rolling over.

When your family members begin to lose feeling in their joints

It becomes increasingly difficult to say "so your a black belt in Tae kwon do-- that very impressive," with a straight face.

When breaking joints becomes an everyday thing

During the winter you wear your Gi top around the house instead of a sweater or turning on the heat.

Andrew S
12-02-2008, 02:23 PM
When you buy the latest issue of Hiden because of the big feature story on O-Sensei and the Aikido Congress and leave it at work to thumb through during breaks.

Rosecarmethene
12-09-2008, 07:08 PM
When your ex-boyfriend returns to practice, you refrain from the wonderful opportunity to break a few of his bones, and cause him other long-term injuries, instead treating him politely, because you love the practice too much to spoil the experience of training.

Katrina S.
12-15-2008, 03:12 PM
.... on your way to the shower, you look down yourself realizing "Oh, I'm dead!" and are already halfway done changing the flaps of your bathrobe when you realize that this is just what it is: a bathrobe, not a gi jacket...

corollary: you don't even own a bathrobe, you just use whichever longest gi jacket is at your hands

Akako110
12-16-2008, 07:39 PM
You might be an Aikido addict if a Bokken and Jo are the first two things on your X-mas list!

wideawakedreamer
12-17-2008, 12:30 AM
You're thrilled because somebody gives you and your wife a pair of bokken with your names on them as a wedding gift.

MarkCim
12-18-2008, 11:47 AM
You might be an Aikido addict if a Bokken and Jo are the first two things on your X-mas list!

+1. Very True... :D

Akako110
12-18-2008, 10:28 PM
You might be an Aikido addict if...

After getting a minor concussion, instead of going home to rest you head strait to class...

AnniN
12-19-2008, 03:52 AM
You might be an aikido addict if...

-the main things on your mind are the next demonstration and ordering club t-shirts instead of exam revision and postgraduate study... :p

-you read a guide book on Rome and wonder why they haven't listed any local aikido dojos.

- you read Wind in the Willows and think "if Toad had taken up aikido instead of cars none of this trouble would have happened":D

Jacqueline von Arb
12-21-2008, 05:00 PM
You throw your kids to bed with Koshinage (or other wham'ing technique).

(Not very effective, by the way, they just get up and want you to do it again...)

Teena Inayan
01-01-2009, 04:35 AM
...if you practice 5 times a week aikido and train other martial arts on saturdays and sundays to incorporate with aikido...

CNYMike
01-01-2009, 12:08 PM
...if you practice 5 times a week aikido and train other martial arts on saturdays and sundays to incorporate with aikido...

Hmmm, I do Aikido only once a week and the other arts the other days, so maybe there's hope for me yet.

You might be an Aikido addict if ....

.... you creep along lousy roads at 25 to 30 MPH in and out of Lake Effect snow to get to Etsunen Keiko.

BTW, Happy New Year!

Katrina S.
02-19-2009, 11:26 AM
.... if you've just read all 16 pages of this thread for the third time while desperately waiting for an email from a potential guest dojo.....

..... if those dojos you wrote to, or rather begged on knees to let you train with them for 2 months, are all a 1-2 hours drive from your home town..... and you HATE driving.....

..... if you yearn for lecture time to start again even though it will only at the end of April, because then you can go to university sports Aikido again.....

.... if your withdrawal symptoms get so bad you actually try ushiro ukemi in your 10 square-meters-"large" room.... (poor door - poor feet - poor neighbours...)

Crystal Aldrich
02-23-2009, 11:07 AM
You might be an addict if...

Your motto is "Aikido is my boyfriend" and you've seriously thought about making a t-shirt that says that.
Sensei and other members refer to you as a dojo rat.
When you go to the club you find new ways to bring ikkyo into your dance moves.
You've named your friends after aikido techniques "kotogeshi dave"
You go through aikido withdrawls worse than a heroin addict. (so itchy...)
You schedule dates and family functions around your aikido training
You went to a friends dojo, and after you were done training drove back to your dojo for more training.
When they finally throw you into the padded room with a straight jacket all you can think of is how cool it would be if they made a straight jacket hakama.

Crystal Aldrich
02-23-2009, 11:34 AM
You're thrilled because somebody gives you and your wife a pair of bokken with your names on them as a wedding gift.

ok I now envy you.

Kevin Love
03-09-2009, 07:40 PM
Ok, this is just too much fun...

How 'bout:

When you sneeze, you say “I-chi!” instead of “A-choo!”

You kiai when you’re chopping vegetables.

You bow and say “Osu!” to the WalMart greeter.

When you get up in the morning, you put on your dogi (and sometimes a little red cape) instead of your bath robe.

You stand in kamae when you are waiting for the elevator.

For the rest of them (and some other aiki-goofy stuff) you'll have to visit me on my site...

Keep laughing,

Kevin
www.WeLoveAikido.com

AnniN
03-17-2009, 03:16 PM
...if you start hearing aikido-related words in the conversations of people around you, e.g. ikkyo waza, yonkyo, randori, sensei etc. people who you KNOW can't possibly be actually talking about aikido :D

danielab1924
03-17-2009, 07:12 PM
This should be fun :D

You might be an aikido addict if your wife holds your hand and you think how can I get ikkyu from here

You might be an aikido addict if you wear your hakama to work.

haha, im gonna try the ikkyu one on my boyfriend....:D

now, for the work one, lol, id pay to see that.....

-Daniela:yuck:
:ai: :ki: :do:

CNYMike
03-19-2009, 08:13 AM
... you keep twitching your hands into the tegatanna position instead of just letting them hang. Even while walking around DC on vacation.

gdandscompserv
03-19-2009, 08:50 AM
You take the seats out of your mini-van so you can haul your mats around.:D

wideawakedreamer
03-19-2009, 10:10 PM
You have to resist the urge to suddenly do tenkan while walking in public.

jennifer paige smith
03-19-2009, 10:55 PM
You take the seats out of your mini-van so you can haul your mats around.:D

OR you ware out the seat of your pants on your mats and then haul around in a mini van.:D
Soccer mom/aikido queen

CNYMike
03-20-2009, 08:49 AM
You have to resist the urge to suddenly do tenkan while walking in public.

... you routinely do irmi tenkan to close the garage door behind you.

... you use irimi tenkan if your dog gets you tangled in her leash while taking her out -- she goes around behind you and you go with it.

... you know it's irimi tenkan

... you didn't think about this until you read Rafael's post.

JJohnston
03-26-2009, 06:01 PM
You might be an aikido addict if you have ever tossed your wife or significant other in to bed with koshinage.

And he/s replies "again? yer so predictable"

dang! I knew I should have use kaiten nage

Josh Astridge
04-26-2009, 03:37 AM
If you had a 'what I'd do if..' technique for each person that walks past you in town, thus being 'prepared' for anything that might happen.

and of course,
as has been said many times,
walking past a hot girl (or guy) and thinking
'damn imagine their ukemi..'

Linda Eskin
06-04-2009, 08:24 PM
... you have a 90 minute massage scheduled, to help you get over an injured shoulder, but you kinda sorta really wish you were free to go to Aikido instead.

Oh well, I'll just have to tough it out...

Linda

Shadowfax
06-09-2009, 08:14 AM

While watching a prospective buyer fall off your horse your first thought is .. "boy their Ukemi needs work"....

While trimming hooves you begin to notice the Tenkan and Irimi and occasional joint locks you are using (on the horse) in the process....

True stories....

Bacchus
07-03-2009, 02:59 PM
1.After loosing your job you cut off your cell phone to make sure you can afford aikido.
2. Sunday morning 7:00 AM the dog takes your place in bed because you are up and off to the dojo.
3. Upon taking the garbage can down the drive way you are figuring the center point.

wideawakedreamer
07-14-2009, 08:23 AM
I do that with the grocery cart. :D

Shadowfax
08-20-2009, 10:01 AM
...Every time you hear someone clap their hands you have to fight the urge to get in seiza......happened to me at work last night.:o

You arrive at work only to realize you are not on the schedule that night and instead of being annoyed by the schedule change you are excited because it means you get an extra day to train at the dojo.

Astille
09-08-2009, 02:03 PM
You're walking home at 4 am, get pulled over by police who demand to know why you're soaked with sweat and carrying a "big wooden stick"

And they end up struggling to get away from you because you won't stop ranting about how amazing Aikido is.

And then you feel sad because they wouldn't stay and chat to you about martial arts.

Even the police can't handle the bane that is Aikido addiction :'(

Linda Eskin
09-08-2009, 11:03 PM
You used to wear your bathrobe right over left, for years, but now you just can't.

Shadowfax
09-09-2009, 08:48 AM
.... every time you hear someone clap their hands you have to fight the overwhelming urge to drop to your knees.....

David Maidment
09-09-2009, 03:31 PM
... when walking alone at night you carry things in your left hand to keep your right hand (or reverse, if you're better with your left hand) free.

Jesse Legon
09-09-2009, 11:26 PM
...Abandoned your life and moved to Japan so you could train twice a day at honbu...

Shadowfax
09-21-2009, 03:06 PM
Hi my name is Cherie and I am an aikido addict.

I first realized this was becoming a problem just yesterday. I was meeting with some friends for lunch and ordered the spiral pasta and some pretzels.

After lunch we went to the mall. We stepped into a little pet shop where I immediately noticed a lady walking with her dog. He was an akita. Beautiful I really want one some day so I bought a book about them.

Then we were looking for a good movie to take home to watch and I picked Twister... incidentally that was also the game I suggested we play when everyone else decided that maybe we didn't want to see a movie after all.

We stopped in at a craft store because I really like arts and crafts. I really needed some more paper and a new book on origami. Folding things is fun.

As we left the mall one of my friends mentioned she needed to buy a lamp for her office desk. So I immediately suggested we stop at Ikea to look for one. We found a really nice one for her and got in my car to leave. By the way I drive a Kia.

Well we could not get going right away because I could not find my Ki... but after a while I remembered I left it under the mat.

So we finally got moving and my friends wanted me to turn up the music. I really like Rock and roll.

Well, that music got us in the mood to go out dancing, so we stopped at a local club. I'm not much of a dancer but someone offered to show me some moves. I asked if they could teach me to do the twist. Someone must have really liked my moves then because they started clapping. Of course that's when I hit the floor on my knees and bowed.... and that is the moment I realized that I might have an aikido problem. ;)

John Bevard
09-21-2009, 08:25 PM
As a newbie, I can't resist:

~if you come home from work and your house still smells like Tiger Balm.

Jamie Barthelemy
10-15-2009, 07:43 PM
- you wonder why the formal dress in America doesn't include hakama...

-you're friends had to stop hitting you (in a joking way, of course)

Jamie Barthelemy
10-15-2009, 08:15 PM
OK one more XD

you're never tired of explaining to you're friends that "no" you don't have a certain color belt... and "no" you don't compete...=)

lol

Carl Thompson
10-16-2009, 03:27 AM
...you adjust your bicycle seat height in the hope it will give you IS.

CNYMike
10-16-2009, 12:15 PM
...you adjust your bicycle seat height in the hope it will give you IS.

:confused: :confused: :confused: Ok, someone is going to have to explain this one to me because I don't get it. :confused: (Maybe there's hope for me yet.) :)

Shadowfax
10-16-2009, 01:04 PM
You might be an Aikido addict if you look for meaning in words like IT and IS. :)

Michael you will find the answers in the discussions on the subject of IT. IS is an acronym for Internal Strength I believe. I only just got the clue myself. ;)

Carrie Campbell
10-16-2009, 02:32 PM
You might be an Aikido addict if ....

After 4 hours of aikido at a seminar, look around and consider asking for more.

After 2 hours of aikido practice, you actually ask sensei for ukemi practice.

This becomes so common you don't have to ask; sensei immediately offers a hand or two.

Shadowfax
10-16-2009, 08:14 PM
After two days at an akido seminar you consider that if you get in the car right away you can get home in time to make it to that nights class.

I almost tried it too. :p

CNYMike
10-16-2009, 10:04 PM
... if Silat class is cancelled and you go to Aikido

.... if your Silat training partners know you go to Aikido when Silat is cancelled.

... if your Silat training partners ask you if you're going to Aikido and/or advise you to do it when the instructor can't make it to class.

David Maidment
10-17-2009, 06:12 AM
...if you oversleep on a Saturday, miss class and now feel like your entire weekend's ruined :(

Linda Eskin
10-17-2009, 09:56 AM
...if you oversleep on a Saturday, miss class and now feel like your entire weekend's ruined :(

Aww, darnit. :( I did that a few weeks ago, when a power failure rendered my alarm clock useless (now I set my iPhone, too). I know just what you mean. Can you do some weapons practice on your own, at least. There must be some way to salvage the weekend.

David Maidment
10-17-2009, 01:28 PM
I'm going to try to sacrifice my normal Sunday lie-in to be up in time for tomorrow's early morning class. Tonight I might swing a bokken around. I just wish we had a class on Monday -- four days is too long to wait if I miss the weekend!

ninjaqutie
10-19-2009, 02:31 PM
You go to say thank you to a coworker for her help and you put your hands in the "praying" position (for lack of a better word). I did that twice today. I feel like a complete dork. HAHA.

Linda Eskin
10-30-2009, 01:04 PM
Ashley - The word most commonly associated with the meaning of that gesture is namaste (the gesture itself is called something else - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Namaste). It's pretty well recognized and understood everywhere. No reason to feel like a dork. :)

MyYMBAAAI moment for today: A client meeting notice pops up in Outlook, conflicting with a Tuesday appointment - the one Aikido class per week you are committed to being at, come hell or high water - and your heart sinks. And then you realize Outlook is only warning you that the times are adjacent, not overlapping, and you can breathe again.

Asiatic Budoka
11-06-2009, 02:53 PM
You're at work, your supervisor gives you an instruction and you bow and say "Hai!"

CNYMike
11-07-2009, 08:17 PM
.... MyYMBAAAI moment for today ....

Took me a moment to realize what YMBAAAI stands for. But that leads me to a new entry:

You might be an Aikido Addict if....

.... you know what "YMBAAAI" stands for.

.... you started this thread and you feel a little proud that you spawned and achronime, too. :D

piyush.kumar
11-26-2009, 04:26 AM
When u wake up in the morning at 3 and the first thing that comes to your mind is "how would it be like if i go out n train right now?"....
(P.S something thats happening right now although given the crime rate on campus right now, i decided i should wait till 6 :D, there is a difference between being in a life or death situation n going out looking for it)

PhilMyKi
11-26-2009, 06:24 AM
after four years you are still reading to see what people come up with!

CNYMike
11-26-2009, 12:54 PM
after four years you are still reading to see what people come up with!

... you started this thread four years ago and something like that quote makes you glow with pride. :) :ai: :ki: :do:

Shadowfax
11-26-2009, 04:25 PM
*sigh* you'd rather train than celebrate a silly holiday. Really I would have loved to have a class tonight.

Any time you are having a bad day you stop and just think about training and it makes you smile.

piyush.kumar
11-26-2009, 04:58 PM
I concur.

PhilMyKi
11-26-2009, 06:20 PM
... you started this thread four years ago and something like that quote makes you glow with pride. :) :ai: :ki: :do:

This thread has been going nearly as long as I have been training and I am gearing up for my first kyu (it has taken 6 hour as week every week mind :D ) suppose that alone makes me an addict.

CNYMike
11-27-2009, 12:30 PM
*sigh* you'd rather train than celebrate a silly holiday. Really I would have loved to have a class tonight.

.... you wish there was an Aikido class tonight because your Silat/Kali instructor was shanghaied by Black Friday. Or maybe that just shows I'm the only single male martial artist I know! :eek:

gixxergary
12-11-2009, 12:15 PM
wow, all of the above!! I thought I was the only one.:p

I can only add:
when you go to the chiropractor, and he no longer askes, how did this happen.

When you find yourself saying, in your best David Banner (hulk voice) Dont make me harmonize with your energy, you wont like me when I harmonize with your engery!!

When in your Kyukido class during one step training, you find your gaurd is at your side, and your smiling at your attacker

When your dojo is teaching younger students about the dangers of trick or treating and how to prepare themselves, and simulate an attacker by having a fellow member in a bluemax suit, attack, and you find yourself offering up a wrist to grab!!

Lastly, when your class is only 1 hour long, its starts and suddenly, its time to bow out. Where did the time go.
Gary

CNYMike
01-01-2010, 03:12 AM
... you went to Etsunen Geiko even though the roads were lousy (although not so bad coming back).

.... you were mad the year you skipped E.G. because of a cold.

... you started this thread four years ago.

Linda Eskin
01-09-2010, 05:45 PM
...you get your hair cut, but tell your stylist that it still has to be long enough to stay in a pony tail (and out of your eyes) when you train. (The poor guy is at least used to my messed up hairstyle priorities. I also need a style that can be dried with the car's air vents. :p )

...you scheduled your haircut around Aikido training, and left an extra hour between so you could stay after class and practice more.

...you have an ice pack (ice in a plastic bag from 7/11) on your knee while you're getting your hair cut, because you landed on it screwy doing ukemi for ikkyo ura the night before.

...you're being really aggressive about icing your ouchy knee because you're going to an Aikido seminar next weekend, and don't want to miss out on any of it.

...the first thing you do when you get home is read AikiWeb.

Sheesh...

Geri Coop
01-31-2010, 04:31 PM
You turn down a great job because it would mean missed practice nights; and mourn a good teacher accepting a contract that means he’s away half the week.

You begin by travelling six hours twice a week to practise; then start camping in the car and working via dongle to practise three times for the cost of one return journey; then break the bank to move, leaving friends, family and work, so as to practise four times a week; which then became five times a week because a new club started up close enough...

You study neuro linguistic programming and say oh, it’s just aikido!

You implement conference calls instead of away meetings (for sustainability and cost savings, of course) in case travel delays cause you to miss practice.

You see a yudansha using a neat nikkyo to confiscate an item from his seven-year-old and consider Aikido in Parenting classes to grow the dojo.

You buy your flat because its high ceiling and open plan are big enough for jo practice.

You tackle calves with aiki nage; shift feed sacks with koshi nage; and redefine horsemanship as pure aikido.

You tap at the painful spots when receiving shiatsu [but the shiatsuka who is also your sensei laughs, "Doesn't work on this mat!].

You organise conferences in locations where there are dojos you’d like to visit and design the programme so you can go to practice while everyone else is at the dinner.

You have chronic ‘injuries’ because recovery means no aikido.

A relationship is unlikely because the only aikidoka you know are married and who else would understand? Even then it would have to be someone with tai sabaki as good as your favourite yudansha, otherwise what would be the point of all those hours together? ;)

Your sports physio stops bothering to say, “rest it” and shows you how to splint and rigid-tape instead (and gives you frequency discount).

You still get to the dojo in a blizzard and don’t understand why no one else is there.

You’re on this forum because it’s the night of the week with no practice.

Someone says, “why do you do it?” and your answer is, “because I can’t bear not to.”

Shadowfax
02-01-2010, 08:36 AM
and redefine horsemanship as pure aikido.
lol horsemanship is pure aikido.

You tap at the painful spots when receiving shiatsu
reminds me of a recent conversion in which a co-worker asked me to use some of my shitzu on someone who was bugging him....

.... you look forward to seeing your chiropractor on Monday so you can have more really good ukemi on Tuesday meaning you will probably need to see the chiro again on wed...:D

While working on a horses feet you realize that front feet are upside down kote gaeshi and hind feet are Nikkyo.

Diane Stevenson
03-10-2010, 09:10 AM
You check the "you might be an Aikido addict if" thread first thing after a long absence from the forums.

Your new non-MA facebook contacts constantly ask, "what the heck is a dojo?'

One friend get so tired of your poorly spelled mat-japanese, that he threatens Japanese language lessons.

You seriously consider his offer.

Having good enough conditioning/ukemi to put a sweat on your sempai leaves you with a happy/shiny feeling for days.

You keep a roll of athletic tape in your purse just in case.

You have a dedicated spot in your freezer for re-usable ice packs.

Your teenage children -- and their friends-- all raise their hands and slowly back away when you say, "here, grab my wrist!"

Your best chat time with your youngest child is in the car on the way to and from the dojo.

You bring your bokken and jo to the fitness club because the basketball court has really high ceilings and it's way too hot/cold/rainy to practice outside.

Shadowfax
03-11-2010, 09:22 PM
hmmmm

Ok you make an emergency appointment with your massage therapist/chiropractor because you are in too much pain to be able to take good Ukemi at tonight's class, which is scheduled just two hours after said appointment.....

I have to say doing aikido right after a massage is really kinda nice. :D

Linda Eskin
03-29-2010, 03:21 PM
...if you're bummed that you have to miss Aikido tonight, even though it's for a 90-minute massage.

It's some consolation that there are two classes tomorrow. :)

Linda Eskin
03-29-2010, 03:41 PM
...if you're bummed that you have to miss Aikido tonight, even though it's for a 90-minute massage.

HA! Massage just got rescheduled, which means I get to go to class *AND* have a massage. Joy! :D

chunie
07-19-2010, 03:33 PM
You lightly 'lean' on to your bike's handlebars like you hold your bokken... just so lightly. No, not with two hands on one side :D

OwlMatt
07-20-2010, 01:43 PM
You lightly 'lean' on to your bike's handlebars like you hold your bokken... just so lightly. No, not with two hands on one side :D

Or if you hold the bike's handlebars with your pointer fingers sticking out into the air.

wideawakedreamer
07-21-2010, 11:39 PM
You secretly wish you'd fall off your bike so you'd have an excuse to try ukemi on the road

or

You have fallen off your bike and have taken ukemi on the road - and you're not the least bit injured.

chunie
07-22-2010, 06:56 AM
You secretly wish you'd fall off your bike so you'd have an excuse to try ukemi on the road

or

You have fallen off your bike and have taken ukemi on the road - and you're not the least bit injured.

Don't secretly like to fall of my bike, but had to make some back falls on icy, snowy or sandy roads here in the Netherlands, no serious injuries thx to ukemi :D

Or if you hold the bike's handlebars with your pointer fingers sticking out into the air.

Nah, just pointing forward :)

JCT53
07-24-2010, 06:02 PM
1. When you see a strait wooden stick, such as a broken broom handle, you automatically refer to it as a jo.

I do that!!! In fact, I was at a friends house the other night and her mom told me to help pick up things in the yard.I went out and I saw that my friend was close to a long, straight tree branch and told her "Pick up the jo behind you before you step on it!" She turned around, picked up the stick and glared at me while saying "This is a stick!! Not a jo!!!!" (She is tired of me referring to objects as jo's) I guess I should be a little less Aiki-weapon fanatical around her :D

JCT53
07-24-2010, 06:16 PM
1) You ask yor friends for their hands so you can throw kotegaeshi (nicely of course;)

2) You look at a low wall or object and think "Can I front roll fall over that?"

3) Your friends come to your dojo to give you things because they never miss you there.

4) When you go to school your friends ask "Which black belt threw the crap out of you this time?"

5) Your friends have learned to run when you say "Hey, I learned a cool move at class!" (The most common for me:D )

6) You see fights and think "Oooh, Iriminage would be good there"

7) The voice(s) inside your head tell you Aikido related information and sound an awful lot like sensei :rolleyes:

ellie
07-26-2010, 07:57 AM
You refuse to go to the hospital after getting injured at aikido because it may mean you miss more aikido.

You get annoyed when your mum books train tickets to a 2-day aikido seminar during an aikido lesson.

You accidently go into ukemi when doing a backdrop at trampolining.

Your parents/friends/teachers are all scared of you.

erikniit
09-10-2010, 01:18 PM
When after training you are actually a lot more energetic and lively than before. :D

Anth
09-10-2010, 03:59 PM
You open doors with unbendable arms.
You don't know what day it is when you've missed a training session.
Plan your eye-wear by training sessions (contact lenses in on a training day, specs non-training).
Your workmates know what the difference in eye-wear means.
You walk into work looking absolutely knackered and your workmates simply ask "decent training session last night?"
You sit in seiza while rummaging through the fridge.
You tai-sabaiki or tenkan turn around people who get in your way while walking down the street or at work.
You watch Doshu videos, working out the techniques he's doing in quiet spells at work.
You keep looking for locks and pins when doing karate kumite.
You wonder where the kamiza is in a karate dojo - even if you're taking the class.
You ask your karate sensei "why block it when I can just tenchi-nage him?"
You keep a range of knee, elbow and wrist straps in the glovebox of your car.

Think that will do for now...

Shadowfax
09-11-2010, 08:02 PM
...if your car dies on the way to the dojo and you biggest concern is making it in time for class.

You get the tow truck driver to take you to the dojo after he tows your car to his garage, and you are only 5 minutes late.

and in spite of the fact you have no vehicle for almost three weeks you still don't miss a single class....

if the first thing you do after getting your new car is look for cool aikido bumper stickers.:cool:

sarahfiechtner
09-12-2010, 12:56 PM
-You have more fun at an Aikido Seminar than on normal vacations
-When sitting on a chair, you think of how you'd roll if it fell backwards
-you bow to people instead of shaking hands
-you take online college courses so classes don't interfer with dojo training times
-you think the shortest distance between two points is rolling
-you rearrange your living room furniture to accomodate Aikido practice
-you think of ways you could use Aikido at your soccer game

And I've only been doing aikido for 8 months

Is it bad if I hope I never recover from this addiction? :p

CNYMike
09-12-2010, 07:23 PM
-You have more fun at an Aikido .... Is it bad if I hope I never recover from this addiction? :p

If it's the worst addiction you have, then no, it's not. Trust me, there is worse out there.

CNYMike
09-12-2010, 07:27 PM
... you've taken six road trips this year and three of them involved going to Aikido seminars. (Only three? I know, but I'm trying. One of the others was to Sifu Dan Inosanto, so at least it's martial arts.)

.... you just got back from a seminar with Doshu.

... you're already thinking about next year's seminar, and weighing Aikido against Sifu Francis Fong -- there are conflicts, and I haven't seen him in years.

... you think it is awesome your new yukyusha book has its firnst entry in it.

... you started this thread almost five years ago, and its survival makes you feel like a proud poppa.

Lulu
09-14-2010, 03:56 PM
I think that I replied to this once before, not sure.
Anyway the one about having to tell your stylist you need to put your hair in a pontail for training OMG That's me! killed me.

And the one about Aikido Seminars being more fun than regular vacations - well - me again. For years - the only trips I ever took were Aikido centered..

Thanks for keeping this thread alive :)

GMaroda
09-15-2010, 11:59 AM
you skip class because your shoulder is messed up and you feel guilty about it.

And all before deciding not to go, you keep trying to rationalize ways you can practice and not make it worse.

susanmarie
09-19-2010, 10:44 PM
you skip class because your shoulder is messed up and you feel guilty about it.

And all before deciding not to go, you keep trying to rationalize ways you can practice and not make it worse.

So I guess if you go anyway, you're not only an addict, but a foolish one at that. Not that I, ahem, know anyone who's done such a thing. :D

shakou
09-20-2010, 10:27 AM
When you're holding hands with your significant other and trying hard not to ten-kan sumi-otoshi her in the supermarket......all that forward motion is a hard thing to resist

Shadowfax
09-20-2010, 04:02 PM
So I guess if you go anyway, you're not only an addict, but a foolish one at that. Not that I, ahem, know anyone who's done such a thing. :D

hey!!! watch who you're calling foolish. :D :p

GMaroda
09-24-2010, 10:27 AM
hey!!! watch who you're calling foolish. :D :p

It's not foolish for you! You have a record to uphold!

Shadowfax
09-24-2010, 07:05 PM
It's not foolish for you! You have a record to uphold!

*sigh* unfortunately that record is about to die. Sprained medial meniscus. I won't be training for a while. :(

But I'll still be at class to watch.

JCT53
10-11-2010, 12:05 PM
(And so do your friends and family....)

Mary Kaye

Ha ha that's how it is with my friends :)

JCT53
10-11-2010, 12:07 PM
Hello ... my names Emma .... and Im an Ukemi addict

YAY!!! Another addict!!!!!!

JCT53
10-11-2010, 12:10 PM
Aww, darnit. :( I did that a few weeks ago, when a power failure rendered my alarm clock useless (now I set my iPhone, too). I know just what you mean. Can you do some weapons practice on your own, at least. There must be some way to salvage the weekend.

Exactly!! I had a football game Friday and could not go to class because I missed the alarm. I was depressed the rest of the day :(

guest1234567
10-11-2010, 03:37 PM
Re: You might be an Aikido addict if ....
you prefer the bank holiday you have tomorrow would be on wednesday, because you only train on tuesdays and thursdays

wideawakedreamer
10-12-2010, 11:05 PM
1. You hug your wife from behind, she steps to one side and tenkans and ducks, escaping your hug - and you tell her, "That's good, love, but try lowering yourself a little more as your raise your arms."

2. This is standard romantic couple behavior for the two of you, along with her doing iriminage on you when you're feeling, um, playful and she's playing hard-to-get.

3. You already know that when you tell people you first met your wife in the dojo they will inevitably ask: "How do you guys fight?" :eek: (seriously, do they really think of us as violent sociopaths or something?:confused: ). To which you reply, "What are you talking about? That's foreplay for us!":rolleyes: Which earns you yet another strange look.

nuxie
10-15-2010, 08:26 AM
Oh lordie I wwas sitting in my math class in college reading this and preteding to be paying attention when i bust out laughing and my eyess teared up !! You guys are so funny!!!

Anthony Loeppert
11-07-2010, 12:28 AM
you naturally grasp your (beer) pint glass with index finger pointed outward...

erikmenzel
11-07-2010, 04:14 AM
When you try to cover up visiting Aikiweb.
No honey I wasnt browsing the forum, I was downloading porn, realy I wasnt at aikiweb.

wideawakedreamer
11-07-2010, 08:31 PM
Erik: That's funny:D

What's worse is if your wife actually wishes you'd download porn like every other normal guy she knows instead of spending all your online time on aikiweb.:eek:

Randy Sexton
11-10-2010, 06:50 AM
You are an Aikido addict if you are still reading these!
Doc Sexton

Linda Eskin
11-19-2010, 08:26 AM
...you are heading off for a weekend at the Disney parks in California, and the thought crosses your mind "I wonder if there is a dojo near there? Maybe I could sneak in a class on Saturday morning."

Kevin Morrison
11-30-2010, 11:36 AM
,,,you leave out the second "i" in aikiweb and think the site is relevant to aikido

Shadowfax
12-13-2010, 03:23 PM
When you go to see a movie when the most exciting part is the shihonage you spot during one of the battle scenes....:D

JCT53
12-13-2010, 07:46 PM
Yay I'm not the only one who walked around in my gi all day!!!!

JCT53
12-13-2010, 08:03 PM
This will be fun...

Your parents and friends slowly back away when you say "I learned something new at class".

You hold brooms, mops and every other straight ended object like a jo.

Your friends know all the dojo terminology you do.

Your school nurse knows the exact time you will come on the days after you have had class.

Your school nurse has set aside a supply of athletic tape and bandages and Advil for you.

Your friends know exactly when you classes are, who all is at your dojo, and when your next seminar is.

Your parents don't bother to say "Be careful" when you go to class or a knife clinic. They just say "Pack plenty of Advil, ice packs, tape and bandages."

Your friends all know to not bug you the day after you had to miss class.

Teachers can tell what you did at class by how much you limp/groan when you move.

You ruin Martial Arts movies for everyone else because you point out all the ukemi, all the moves and the errors in them.

You are so accustomed to falling, when you fall outside of class, you take a fall and get back up, not realizing you have fallen.

A week after you started Aikido, you were doing roll falls on cement, through the store, in the library, down hills, around the gym, and, to the horror of you new teachers, down school hallways because it will cut the time.

~:ai: :ki: :do: forever~

JCT53
12-13-2010, 08:31 PM
... If you hang around for an extra 15 - 20 minutes after the dojo is cleaned up, with sweat dripping off your back, your throat dry and your body sore, knowing that you have a cold glass of water and a hot shower waiting for you at home, just so you can hang out and chat with the people you unquestionably know are your true family.

Wow, that sums it all up. Your true family.

CNYMike
12-14-2010, 12:37 PM
When you go to see a movie when the most exciting part is the shihonage you spot during one of the battle scenes....:D

... yout first reaction to reading that is to wonder what movie that was in? (BTW, what movie was that in? Seriously!)

.... you wrote the above sentence in all seriousness

... you started this thread, and its survival to this day makes you feel proud.

JCT53
12-15-2010, 10:55 AM
1. When you see a strait wooden stick, such as a broken broom handle, you automatically refer to it as a jo.

2. When you sit down on the sofa, you first bend one knee up behind you.

3. You commonly walk in shikko at home or work to get from one place to another without standing up.

4. When waiting in line, you think about which techniques you would like to practice tommorow at the dojo.

5. You choose your job based on if it interferes with your training time.

6. In your spare time, you carve bokkens out of branches you find laying on the ground.

7. You have read just about all the information there is on the internet.

8. You think being thrown or pinned feels great.

9. You dream about being thrown or pinned.

10. You consider all of the above to be a good thing and a normal part of life.

That describes my addiction perfectly!!

Shadowfax
12-15-2010, 09:52 PM
... yout first reaction to reading that is to wonder what movie that was in? (BTW, what movie was that in? Seriously!)

.... you wrote the above sentence in all seriousness

LOL I was quite serious. I had just come home from seeing the new Narnia movie (Voyage of the Dawn Treader) the first battle scene in the background someone does a pretty decent shihonage. :D

OwlMatt
12-17-2010, 04:33 PM
you naturally grasp your (beer) pint glass with index finger pointed outward...

I have started to turn doorknobs like this.

Diana Frese
12-17-2010, 09:19 PM
I was an Aikido addict and just skimmed thru this thread, seems
very popular, nineteen pages and still active, so I am looking
forward to revisiting later on to read the rest. How familiar many
of the items on your lists are, everyone.

Many years ago one of the senpais had an little test to see
whether we were "overtrained" He would have us let our
arms hang loosely while he loosely slapped them together very
gently..... several times, and if you grabbed your own wrist
without thinking. You were "overtrained"

This might be something like what this thread is about? Can't
wait to read more later this weekend, but my husband just
got back from judo and wants a snack and to discuss that
practice. Gotta keep "uke" happy, I need him for Aikido
practice until I can get back to a dojo....

Amassus
12-18-2010, 05:21 PM
When you are practising ball room dancing and the instructor asks if you understand and you say "Hai!"

The other people looked at me and you could see that they were thinking "Did I just hear that?"

JCT53
01-02-2011, 09:40 PM
So, these were made by my friend (who is black belt testing in may)

If this conversation ever happens; "Hunny, I love you" As you throw Kotegaeshi with an air fall then pin him "Yeah, sure ya do!" He says as he taps out furiously

you may be an aikido addict if...... you get pissed and imagine all of the possible moves you could throw on the jerk who made you mad.

After you have been creamed by someone you train more to figure out how to counter what happened last time

kane hollins
01-02-2011, 10:59 PM
...if, instead of reading a book to fall asleep, you scroll through youtube aikido videos on your ipod.

Shadowfax
02-06-2011, 04:06 PM
If you are disappointed that the home town team made the Super Bowl because it means class is canceled for the night, so you find another dojo in town that has a morning class that is still on, and decide to go to that... and you're the first person to arrive and start setting up the mats before any of their regular members show up....:D

Selnith
06-21-2011, 05:54 AM
you might be an aikido addict if you consider a week long course to be your summer holiday
you're definitely an aikido addict if you and your partner pick up the torch and organise said course when the original organiser let the group down

abraxis
06-25-2011, 10:45 PM
You might be an aikido addict if, after the last practice of a weeklong seminar, you are going to your car and you are unexpectedly confronted by all your family and friends telling you they are there for an intervention. Before they can start telling you how you've been in denial about your addiction you let out, "EEYYHHH!!", and "Taninzu-Gake, Randori, Let's Do It!!"

ninjaqutie
07-11-2011, 04:31 PM
You get pulled over by a police officer and when he lets you leave without a ticket he says "Please drive safer." and your reply is "Hai."

He didn't look at me too strangly.....

LinTal
07-14-2011, 02:16 AM
Your family runs away on sight to avoid hearing the words "now, let me try just one thing..."

I get that one all the time!! :D

JCT53
07-19-2011, 11:58 AM
Me too!!!!!!!!!!

susanmarie
07-19-2011, 12:31 PM
No-one in your family will grab your wrist anymore :/

JCT53
09-08-2011, 10:55 AM
When your friends know who all is at the dojo, what rank they are, who is testing, when you are at class, and they no all your techniques by name.

Shadowfax
09-09-2011, 01:28 PM
If your co-workers threaten one one another by saying, "don't make me, make you, grab Cherie's wrist.

Relaxed Aikidoka
09-12-2011, 01:00 PM
Your an aikido addict if your posting on this thread and have just realised it started in 2005.

GMaroda
09-12-2011, 04:16 PM

Not a bike, rollerblades. :cool:

JCT53
09-23-2011, 07:46 AM
Not a bike, rollerblades. :cool:

and after taking the fall, you pop back up o the rollerblades and keep going :)

Commander13CnC3
09-25-2011, 05:42 PM
Must be too addicted 0.0

Mario Tobias
09-25-2011, 11:31 PM
If planning an overseas business trip, the first thing you do is look up a dojo that's nearest your point of destination.

hughrbeyer
09-26-2011, 12:09 AM
You tell yourself you don't need to train today, you've trained plenty this week, everybody needs a day off now and again, and you're not going to train today.

And half an hour later you find yourself training.

jamie yugawa
10-06-2011, 06:06 PM
You wonder why everyone is waving to do you while are driving .. then you find out you have been unintentionally doing Kokyu hand movements when you rest your hand out the window of your car while driving!!! LOL

Stuart Turner
10-08-2011, 09:29 AM
Your sole reason for joining a shared smallholding/city farm is that O-Sensei seemed to think highly of farming. The rest of the co-operative looked rather confused when I tried to explain...

Anthony Loeppert
10-11-2011, 12:34 AM
Your sole reason for joining a shared smallholding/city farm is that O-Sensei seemed to think highly of farming. The rest of the co-operative looked rather confused when I tried to explain...

Yes, you should seek help extra-net :p

SC Wong
11-10-2011, 09:41 AM
If planning an overseas business trip, the first thing you do is look up a dojo that's nearest your point of destination.

I am guilty of the same thing, and that includes pleasure trips as well!:D

ryback
11-10-2011, 05:41 PM
Well if your teacher acompanied by another student comes to say "hello" where you work and you find your self joking about starting a randori, you are certainly an aikido addict. Now if you wake up one day and you realise that even though the years have passed you still have a ponnytail, you dress in black shirts and leather overcoats and hate Van Damme, then you are an aikido junkie. Wait a minute! Come to think of it...Oh my!! I'm an aikido junkie!

Anthony Loeppert
05-19-2012, 02:38 PM
Kicked the car out of the garage to make a small training space.

Jacqueline von Arb
05-19-2012, 03:17 PM
You get hinted about joining AA,
that is, the Aikiholics Anonymous group on Facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/groups/2212181260

You do so eagerly, but only after first checking they wouldn't try to cure you...

Aiki-yours, Aikimama
(who a while later was asked by the admin to co-admin the group...)

Shadowfax
05-31-2012, 07:30 AM
You slip and fall on a wet floor at work and you are happy about it because your ukemi was really nice...