PDA

View Full Version : Aiki-Dojo or Aikido-Dojo?

Please visit our sponsor:

The Aikido of Shin-Budo Kai - A new book profiles Shizuo Imaizumi Sensei and the practice of SBK Aikido

Dirk Hanss
10-31-2005, 06:39 AM
Hi all,
it seems just to be a foolish question, but how is the place or house called, where you follow the path of aiki?
The hose where you follow a path is a dojo, the path of aiki is aikido , so it should be aikidojo, while I guess most people would refer to it as aikido dojo. Are both correct or should we use only one.

Another intersting point here is that the staff of aikido is not the aikido-jo, but the aiki-jo, at least, where ever i have seen it.

Kind regards

Dirk

ian
10-31-2005, 07:12 AM
My dojo is not just an aikido dojo (Judo, taekwondo and karate train there), therefore I wouldn't say aiki-dojo. Indeed, I would not refer to the training place as an aikido dojo, but just as our 'dojo'

Does sound strange though to say ai-ki-do-do-jo !

silent one
10-31-2005, 12:00 PM
never thought of that before...

just as Ian does, we just call our aikido dojo as "dojo". I think its more appropriate to just call it "the place of the way".

Pauliina Lievonen
10-31-2005, 12:19 PM
I've done some aiki-jo... but I'd love to see what aiki-dodo-jo looks like! :D

kvaak
Pauliina
who has nothing of substance to contribute

MaryKaye
10-31-2005, 05:18 PM
Pauliina writes:

"aiki-dodo-jo"

This is, clearly, when you do a technique or kata and hit yourself with your own jo. The first time I was taught jo shihonage I did this five or six times in a row, to the merriment of my partners.

It is only less embarrassing than doing atemi to yourself. (That one I think I've avoided, so far....)

Anyway, we call our school "dojo" or "aikido dojo" or, more usually, by its initials.

Mary Kaye

saltlakeaiki
11-05-2005, 03:51 PM
I think you have to ask this question in the context of a given language. I believe a case could be made for either way, and I'm sure you can find both in existence.

Although it may seem illogical or redundant to have the "do" repeated (though presumably only to people who actually know that the two represent the same "word" :)), I feel confident in saying that this is not a problem even for the Japanese language. I'm sure I've seen the exactly analogous redundancy in other contexts many times before, although no good example springs to mind.

Dave

Peter Goldsbury
11-06-2005, 12:07 AM
Hi all,
it seems just to be a foolish question, but how is the place or house called, where you follow the path of aiki?
The hose where you follow a path is a dojo, the path of aiki is aikido , so it should be aikidojo, while I guess most people would refer to it as aikido dojo. Are both correct or should we use only one.

Another intersting point here is that the staff of aikido is not the aikido-jo, but the aiki-jo, at least, where ever i have seen it.

Kind regards

Dirk

If you break down the words into their components, I am sure you can make case for redundancy. In my experience abbreviating complex terms is quite common here, as in seku-hara ( = sexual harassment), but the abbreviation here is the shortening of the whole phrase and not simply the dropping a repeated syllable. With aikido the latter seems not to have happened. Thus the head of the Aikikai is known as Aikido Doshu and not Aiki Doshu. I doubt that the aiki in aikiken is an abbreviation of aikido. There is a throw called aiki-nage, but it is not an abbreviation of aikido-nage.

Best regards,