PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Stephen Kotev

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Stephen Kotev
10-05-2005, 04:01 PM
Greetings and Salutations,

My name is Stephen Kotev and I have been a long time lurker of the AikiWeb forums. I have actually been a more active on the Aikido Journal in past years. As of late, I seem to be following the migration of former AJ bulletin board posters over to AikiWeb.

Jun,
Thanks for hosting this site. We met once before at Aikido of Tamalpais at the Aiki Extensions conference in 2002. I could not train at the time due to a hip contusion from training. I would have enjoyed the opportunity to train together.

I have really enjoyed some of the threads currently underway on the forum. So I decided to stop lurking and say hello. I would also like to say hello to some of those more active AJ posters now on AikiWeb: Ron Tisdale, James Bostwick, George Ledyard Sensei, and that cheeky Englishman Mark Walsh (Oi Geeza!) I am sure there are others but this is enough for now.

I started my training at Aikido of Columbus under Paul Linden and Peggy Berger. I currently train at Capital Aikikai with Clyde Takeguchi Shihan in Silver Spring, Maryland.

All the Best,
Stephen Kotev

Ron Tisdale
10-05-2005, 04:04 PM
Hey, Dude! Long time no read! good to have you on board.

Best,
Ron

akiy
10-05-2005, 04:10 PM
Hi Stephen,

Nice to see you here. Welcome! I'm sure we'll have the chance to train together one of these days...

-- Jun

Neil Mick
10-05-2005, 09:54 PM
Greetings, Stephen. It was good to meet you at AE6; and now here you are, popping up in my fave Aikido website.

Welcome!

Stephen Kotev
10-06-2005, 09:42 AM
Hey Ron,

I am a habitual lurker. I usually have dialogues in my head with the poster from AJ BB, AikiWeb, or E-budo. Often someone else makes the same statement or my thoughts are too "kinesthetic" to be conveyed verbally or probably more honestly I would prefer to listen than to speak.

Often most of the conversations are ripples and echoes of past conversations/posts. How many times have we read "Does Aikido really work?" or "Who would win in a fight?" or "Daito ryu is better than Aikido or Iwama is better than Aikikai?" After awhile it's the same old story same old song and dance. There are a few posters that are worth reading regardless of the subject, everything else becomes contextual that becomes considered during practice on the mat.

I am bummed I could not come up to the last Stevens Sensei seminar you all hosted. It would have been nice to meet the man in person. God knows his texts has been spoken of so often in Aikido circles. Jimmy Sorrentino brings out Ellis and my dojo hosts him as well. So it's nice to continue on learning from Ellis. And I just found out that Ledyard Sensei will be at Aikido of Northern Virginia in early December. I am really pleased to learn of this. Ledyard Sensei has been a steady light in the smog of Aikido bulletin board posters. I feel I already know him from all of his posts and forums. It will be nice to finally meet him in person and train with him.

If you every come to the D.C. area let me know. You definitely have a place to stay.

All the Best,
Stephen

Stephen Kotev
10-06-2005, 09:43 AM
Hi Stephen,

Nice to see you here. Welcome! I'm sure we'll have the chance to train together one of these days...

-- Jun

Jun,

It would be great to train with you again. I don't make it out to the west coast much but some day it will happen.

Do you come out to D.C. at all?

Stephen

Stephen Kotev
10-06-2005, 09:45 AM
Greetings, Stephen. It was good to meet you at AE6; and now here you are, popping up in my fave Aikido website.

Welcome!

Neil,

It was a pleasure to meet the infamous Neil Mick. I don't know how many of your posts I have skimmed while watching the flames fly on Aikido Journal. I often wondered "who are these people?" It was good to put a face with an infamous name.

All the Best,
Stephen

akiy
10-06-2005, 09:48 AM
Do you come out to D.C. at all?
I should be there over the weekend of December 8th through 11th. Drop me a private e-mail or message and maybe we can arrange a time to meet?

-- Jun

Ron Tisdale
10-06-2005, 10:54 AM
Hi Stephen,

yeah, there's some of the same old going around right now as a matter of fact. I wish I could get more time in with Ellis, his stuff is really good. But I'm doing a bunch of things right now, and not enough time for all of it as it is. Abe Sensei's seminar was pretty cool, but the best thing was randori with Fred Little. What a blast! Hope to run into you sometime soon...it's off to Baltimore tomorrow for some Daito ryu. And please don't say 'break a leg'! :)
Best,
Ron

markwalsh
10-06-2005, 12:16 PM
Hey Stephen,

Oh dear, AikiWeb is letting some really disreputable characters online now :)

DC was a lot of fun, I'm in Scotland at the moment, I wish you were here to try your funny accents - ah, the locals would love it (mate) :grr:

In case anyone else want to put faces to names, Stephen is kinda ugly with no hair and I'm a Albion Adonis ;)

Be well,

MarK

Don_Modesto
10-06-2005, 06:13 PM
...the best thing was randori with Fred Little.

Say more, please. He's one of my favorite posters (and he posts so rarely).

Stephen Kotev
10-07-2005, 11:32 AM
Hi Stephen,

yeah, there's some of the same old going around right now as a matter of fact. I wish I could get more time in with Ellis, his stuff is really good. But I'm doing a bunch of things right now, and not enough time for all of it as it is. Abe Sensei's seminar was pretty cool, but the best thing was randori with Fred Little. What a blast! Hope to run into you sometime soon...it's off to Baltimore tomorrow for some Daito ryu. And please don't say 'break a leg'! :)
Best,
Ron

Hey Ron,

So you went to Abe Sensei as well? Two guys from my dojo just came back from there. We spent part of class this week talking about what they saw at the seminar. It’s cool you got to connect with Fred. I have not seen him since we first met. I would have liked to have spent more time with him. Maybe someday we will all reconnect at another seminar of Ellis’s.

Ellis is studying with Bob Galeone and Bob is known to show up at Capital on occasion. So my chances of seeing more of him is good. Actually Tetsutaka Sugawara Sensei will be giving a seminar tomorrow. Bob really liked what he saw last year. I could not make it so I am looking forward to the opportunity.

I was wondering when you would be mentioning Daito ryu and Baltimore. Don’t worry about the “break a leg” stuff. I went up to Goss Sensei’s dojo a couple of times when I first moved up here. I know that that statement is a little too close to reality.

All the Best,
Stephen

Stephen Kotev
10-07-2005, 11:44 AM
Hey Stephen,

Oh dear, AikiWeb is letting some really disreputable characters online now :)

DC was a lot of fun, I'm in Scotland at the moment, I wish you were here to try your funny accents - ah, the locals would love it (mate) :grr:

In case anyone else want to put faces to names, Stephen is kinda ugly with no hair and I'm a Albion Adonis ;)

Be well,

MarK

Oi Ya Cheeky Bast@$!,

How is the land of Sheep and Haggis? Are the local women impressed with your pick up lines "Hi I'm Mark and I'm and Englishman"? I am sure they are so swept away by your accent and charm that you have a line all the way out the door of willing participants…. :drool:

Now if I were to use my accent I may have a bit more leverage… :D

D.C. was grand. It was also too short. We just got going and then it all had to end. Let me know when you are back in town and we will have a proper piss up (that means drinks for those of you who don't speak proper British).

As for looks you still need some platforms to compete with this ugly guy. (just kidding)

All the Best,
Stephen

Stephen Kotev
10-07-2005, 02:50 PM
Say more, please. He's one of my favorite posters (and he posts so rarely).

Hey Don,

Long time no type. Glad to know you haunt similar locals.

Cheers,
Stephen

Don_Modesto
10-09-2005, 09:42 PM
Hey Don,

Long time no type. Glad to know you haunt similar locals.

Cheers,
Stephen

Hi, Stephen,

Last time we exchanged electrons you were working on a paper, weren't you? How'd that work out?

Stephen Kotev
10-11-2005, 03:49 PM
Hi, Stephen,

Last time we exchanged electrons you were working on a paper, weren't you? How'd that work out?

Hey Don,

Thanks for your question. I thought I sent you a copy of that paper?
http://www.aikidojournal.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=70992&highlight=#70992

It went well for the most part. It was my "dipping my toe into the water" writing experiment. I was pleased with the results and the feedback from the paper. I am planning on writing another paper specifically focused on Aikido and Conflict Resolution. I currently don't have the time at the moment but I am building the content and confidence to write it.

If you are interested I would be happy to send the orginal paper to you again. I don't remember if I ever received your comments.

All the Best,
Stephen

Neil Mick
10-11-2005, 04:21 PM
Neil,

It was a pleasure to meet the infamous Neil Mick. I don't know how many of your posts I have skimmed while watching the flames fly on Aikido Journal. I often wondered "who are these people?" It was good to put a face with an infamous name.

All the Best,
Stephen

"Infamous??" :confused:

Hah, my AJ posts were nothing! If you want infamy: you should have heard me singing the theme song to "Rocky Horror," in Cyprus.

And then again: maybe you're better off, not! :yuck:

Ron Tisdale
10-12-2005, 08:03 AM
Hey Don, Stephen,

Abe Sensei allowed every person in the room to grab him and be thrown. Definately one cool 90 year old man! The kick I got from training with Fred...he's one of the few people I've randoried with who can point out your openings clearly yet in a completely non-competitive fashion. He displayed few to no openings himself. He threw me cleanly, without me having to cooperate. His ukemi for my techniques was top notch. All around great guy to train with. If I was in Newark, that's where I would train.

The seminar this past weekend was great too...all good guys, most of the regulars and some new ones too. Juan in particular just keeps getting better! Missed you Don! (can you believe I teased Juan about being a body nazi to his face!! :hypno: :D :crazy: )

Best,
Ron

Don_Modesto
10-12-2005, 07:36 PM
Hey, guys,

Thanks for your question. I thought I sent you a copy of that paper?
http://www.aikidojournal.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=70992&highlight=#70992Well, can't hardly say I didn't get it when the very next post is by me saying I did. I'll bet I put it away for the moment to get back to it and didn't. Sorry.If you are interested I would be happy to send the orginal paper to you again. I don't remember if I ever received your comments.That would save me rummaging around in my old PC's HD. Sorry for the trouble. Thanks for the trouble.Abe Sensei allowed every person in the room to grab him and be thrown. Definately one cool 90 year old man! The kick I got from training with Fred...he's one of the few people I've randoried with who can point out your openings clearly yet in a completely non-competitive fashion. He displayed few to no openings himself. He threw me cleanly, without me having to cooperate. His ukemi for my techniques was top notch. All around great guy to train with. If I was in Newark, that's where I would train.

The seminar this past weekend was great too...all good guys, most of the regulars and some new ones too. Juan in particular just keeps getting better! Missed you Don! (can you believe I teased Juan about being a body nazi to his face!! :hypno: :D :crazy: )Cool. Everything is cool. Except that I was't there for either... :(

Thanks, Ron.

Stephen Kotev
10-13-2005, 01:52 PM
Hey, guys,

Well, can't hardly say I didn't get it when the very next post is by me saying I did. I'll bet I put it away for the moment to get back to it and didn't. Sorry.That would save me rummaging around in my old PC's HD.

Don,

Check your yahoo account inbox.

All the Best,
Stephen

Stephen Kotev
10-13-2005, 01:55 PM
Hey Don, Stephen,

Abe Sensei allowed every person in the room to grab him and be thrown. Definately one cool 90 year old man! The kick I got from training with Fred...he's one of the few people I've randoried with who can point out your openings clearly yet in a completely non-competitive fashion. He displayed few to no openings himself. He threw me cleanly, without me having to cooperate. His ukemi for my techniques was top notch. All around great guy to train with. If I was in Newark, that's where I would train.

The seminar this past weekend was great too...all good guys, most of the regulars and some new ones too. Juan in particular just keeps getting better! Missed you Don! (can you believe I teased Juan about being a body nazi to his face!! :hypno: :D :crazy: )

Best,
Ron

Ron,

I think they need to clone you so you can go to Newark. To think of it, maybe I should be cloned as well so I can come along. Now all we need to do is find a rich "sponsor" to pay for travel, accomodations, and our own personal masseuses.

Have any ideas where to start?

All the Best,
Stephen

Stephen Kotev
10-13-2005, 01:57 PM
"Infamous??" :confused:

Hah, my AJ posts were nothing! If you want infamy: you should have heard me singing the theme song to "Rocky Horror," in Cyprus.

And then again: maybe you're better off, not! :yuck:

I can only imagine the diatribes that would flow if we posted some video footage of your performance on the AJ members lounge. Heck, it would make for a good April Fools joke.

Stephen

Neil Mick
10-14-2005, 01:51 AM
if we posted some video footage of your performance on the AJ members lounge. Heck, it would make for a good April Fools joke.

Stephen

Scary...but in the end, the AJ'er's would just use it for fodder.

But, I think I sing better than this guy (http://www.cnn.com/video/us/2002/02/25/ashcroft.sings.wbtv.med.html) at least. :p

Ron Tisdale
10-14-2005, 07:59 AM
and our own personal masseuses.

Have any ideas where to start?

The masseuse...always start with the masseuse.... :)

Best,
Ron