PDA

View Full Version : Greetings, and Hello!

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Rink
09-28-2005, 08:02 PM
Greetings,
My name is Edward Stapleton.
I am extremely interested in Aikido. I currently live just outside Denver, Colorado although I am originally from South Jersey (U.S.) near Atlantic City.
I think what intrests me in Aikido so much is more of the spirtual side of this philosophy. I have been doing alot of research recently trying to decide what Martial Arts I feel best suits me, and had almost thought there wasn't one, when I stumbled upon an article article about Aikido, and I have been fueled since. I have researched the history, philosophy, and the people (including reading posts here to try and get some idea of what Aikidoka were like on thier own time.) and Next week I will be taking the light rail to a dojo in the city to observe some classes. The name of the Dojo is Nippon Kan. This dojo was founded in the late 70's and still under the instruction of Gaku Homma Sensei the last uchideshi of O'Sensei Ueshiba Morihei. I have high hopes for Aikido and this Dojo, as both seem to be exactly what I have been missing.
Does anybody have any suggestions before I start this journey? I would greatly appreciate the foresight! What was it like starting your first Aikido class? I think another one of the main attractions I have to this style is I hear so many people talk about how fun it is. Is it always like this? Or only when your fellow students and instructors finally warm up to you?
Thanks so much!
Edward Stapleton.

AlexisB
10-21-2005, 01:06 PM
Hi Edward.

I recently participated in a seminar with Homma Sensei in Puerto Rico. It was really really really good. You won't be dissapointed.

O-Ren
10-29-2005, 12:02 AM
Welcome Edward,
I also study in that same discipline. Just so you know, the hardest thing about Aikido is getting out of your car and walking through that door for the first time, after that, its all gravy. I thank in every dojo your going to find fun and energetic people. Also, I've heard many great things of Homma Sensei, your in good hands. Happy ukemi my friend.
O-ren