PDA

View Full Version : Shindokai

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Brad Darr
09-26-2005, 10:10 PM
Hello,
I am going to be in Japan teaching english for a year for NOVA. I have no idea exactly where I will end up but somewhere in the Osaka/Kobe/ Kyoto area most likely. I have scouted a few aikido dojos and definately have plans to train at a few. So aikido is not really the focus of this post, I have seen Kenji Ushiro Sensei at the AikiExpos and found him to be amazing and inspirational. I only recently realized that his dojo is in Osaka. So my question is does anyone know where it is or even if my info is correct or if there is possibly a website. I have searched the web using google for Ushiro sensei as well as Shindokai karate, and come up only with several links to Aikido Journal. Any help is appreciated as the opportunity to train with Ushiro sensei is once in a life time and as far as I can figure his teacher Zaha sensei is still alive and I would love to learn from him or even seeing him would be amazing.

dyffcult
09-27-2005, 12:30 AM
Find a post by Peter Goldsbury.....click on his name...email him through aikiweb...explain your situation....he can help you.

batemanb
09-27-2005, 03:22 AM
Brad,

If you wind up in the Kobe area, or remotely close, make sure you pay a visit to Nakao Sensei at the Kobe Seibukan dojo. Not to be missed if you`re spending a year so close.

rgds

Bryan

Zato Ichi
09-27-2005, 04:06 AM
Hello,
I am going to be in Japan teaching english for a year for NOVA.
Oh god no.

Seriously, if you want to come to Japan, find some other way to do it. Do not work for Nova. Or if you do, just use them to get your visa and find another job ASAP.

And if you're in Osaka, consider stopping by Shodokan Honbu - Nariyama Shihan and the other sensei are all excellent teachers. Plus nothing beats a good few rounds of full resistance randori.

akiy
09-27-2005, 10:40 AM
Hi Brad,

Many people asked Ushiro sensei during the recent Summer Camp in the Rockies if they would be welcome to come train at his dojo in Osaka, and he said that everyone would be more than welcome to attend. I don't have any of his personal contact information here (at work), though.

I took a look through some web searches, but was unable to find any direct information on how to get in touch with his dojo. Ushiro sensei does have a website that does not directly concern his karate/budo but is more geared towards the application of the principles of karate/budo in daily life at <http://www.team4u.jp/>. It's in Japanese, but you can click on the お問合せlink at the left to get to the "contact" form.

I do have an e-mail address of one of his students in Tokyo; I'll see if it's OK with him for you to contact him regarding getting more information regarding Ushiro sensei's dojo. I'll let you know in a private e-mail or private message.

-- Jun

Ron Tisdale
09-27-2005, 03:07 PM
I second Bryan's recommendation heartily!

Best,
Ron
Brad,

If you wind up in the Kobe area, or remotely close, make sure you pay a visit to Nakao Sensei at the Kobe Seibukan dojo. Not to be missed if you`re spending a year so close.

rgds

Bryan

Don_Modesto
09-27-2005, 04:08 PM
Oh god no.

Seriously, if you want to come to Japan, find some other way to do it. Do not work for Nova. Or if you do, just use them to get your visa and find another job ASAP.

I second Rob's recommendation heartily!

Best,
Don

PeterR
09-27-2005, 07:48 PM
So Ron did you study with Nakao Sensei.

So Don where you a Nova slave?

Don_Modesto
09-27-2005, 09:11 PM
So Don where you a Nova slave?

Never.

Hated them vicariously thorugh their commercials:

"Oh! YOU DORAHP'TA YOUA HAHNKAHCHEEFF!"

PeterR
09-27-2005, 09:24 PM
Damm I have to watch my spelling (where). The horror stories I've been told about Nova but there are, rumor has it, even worse examples. JET program is the best entry into Japan for English teachers by far.

Mashu
09-27-2005, 10:07 PM
Unless you get posted out in some inaka village that doesn't even have a konbini. If you do NOVA it might be hard to get time to do martial arts(or anything for that matter).

Ron Tisdale
09-28-2005, 11:56 AM
So Ron did you study with Nakao Sensei.

Hi Peter,

I had one opportunity to practice with Nakao Sensei. He dropped into a Pa AKI dojo one Saturday morning and trained with the group there. I was lucky enough to have advance notice and joined them. His technique was fantastic. He clearly was from a Yamaguchi Sensei lineage, but he did techniques that strongly reminded me of some of Gozo Shioda's favorites as well. One in particular was from a two handed chest/shoulder grasp. He sent me flying backward about 10 feet with that one. Even when I felt it coming, and tried to disconnect...awesome.

Best,
Ron

Brad Darr
09-30-2005, 07:42 PM
Thanks to everybody who responded, especially Jun. I just got my final location today and as far as I can tell it is close to Kobe (I think), I will be housed in Takarazuka in Hyogo Prefecture which is the same prefecture as Kobe as far as I can tell, mapquest is not very helpful when it comes to Japan. I anybody could correct or confirm this I would be very happy.
As far as training I was planning on training with Nakao sensei as much as I could. I have never seen his techinique but because I am ASU affiliated here in the states I was looking for something similar to Saotome sensei and as far as I have seen students of Yamaguchi sensei are the closest. I have also seen Endo sensei who comes to Nakao sensei's dojo occasionally and I really like Endo sensei's techinique. So Bryan I will hopefully do more than just drop by his dojo. I have been to the website and have seen that a foreigner teaches aikido in english on Wednesday nights, I was wondering if anyone knows this person or if they are aikiweb. This question is mainly for Bryan given his familiarity with Nakao sensei and his dojo.
As far as NOVA is concerned I haven't heard too many bad things about them and they seem better than some of the others, obviously I am aware that JET is the best but they only hire like once a year in the US so I missed the deadline back in Jan/Feb. If anybody has any real experience with NOVA currently or in the past and want to warn me about things then I would love hear from you. I did hear a story on Public Radio a month ago about people protesting NOVA in Tokyo because they failed to inform workers about the japanese laws as far as health and pension availability. I hvae also talked to some friends who spent the last two years working for NOVA in Osaka and loved it, they weren't martial artists but they still found time to do things so I figure I can make time to train. Thanks again to everybody. (Even the doomsayers)

Ron Tisdale
10-03-2005, 10:36 AM
If you can train with Nakao Sensei, you won't regret it!

BEst,
Ron

batemanb
11-27-2005, 03:21 AM
Thanks to everybody who responded, especially Jun. I just got my final location today and as far as I can tell it is close to Kobe (I think), I will be housed in Takarazuka in Hyogo Prefecture which is the same prefecture as Kobe as far as I can tell, mapquest is not very helpful when it comes to Japan. I anybody could correct or confirm this I would be very happy.
As far as training I was planning on training with Nakao sensei as much as I could. I have never seen his techinique but because I am ASU affiliated here in the states I was looking for something similar to Saotome sensei and as far as I have seen students of Yamaguchi sensei are the closest. I have also seen Endo sensei who comes to Nakao sensei's dojo occasionally and I really like Endo sensei's techinique. So Bryan I will hopefully do more than just drop by his dojo. I have been to the website and have seen that a foreigner teaches aikido in english on Wednesday nights, I was wondering if anyone knows this person or if they are aikiweb. This question is mainly for Bryan given his familiarity with Nakao sensei and his dojo.
As far as NOVA is concerned I haven't heard too many bad things about them and they seem better than some of the others, obviously I am aware that JET is the best but they only hire like once a year in the US so I missed the deadline back in Jan/Feb. If anybody has any real experience with NOVA currently or in the past and want to warn me about things then I would love hear from you. I did hear a story on Public Radio a month ago about people protesting NOVA in Tokyo because they failed to inform workers about the japanese laws as far as health and pension availability. I hvae also talked to some friends who spent the last two years working for NOVA in Osaka and loved it, they weren't martial artists but they still found time to do things so I figure I can make time to train. Thanks again to everybody. (Even the doomsayers)

Hi Brad,

Not sure why I missed this thread, probably because I was on a 3 week business trip at the time, sorry about that.

I got an e-mail from Nakao Sensei yesterday saying that you'd been training there, I hope you're enjoying it? The foreigner you mentioned is Russell, he's English and has been in Japan with Nakao Sensei for 8 or 9 years. Also a very good proponent of the art, I try to get him to come visit and teach at my place on the occasions he comes back to visit family in the UK.

I will be visiting the in-laws in March, so will be training at the Seibukan whilst I'm there, if you're still around we'll meet up then.

Regards

Bryan