View Full Version : aikido boosts confidence in the woman

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

09-25-2005, 07:17 PM
hi everyone...i know that being a part of AIKIWEB will help me in my Aikido...

I am a woman in my mid 30s....i have always wanted to do martial arts, tried taekwando but didn't like it that much...till I have read about Aikido.

It has been a month ... and the confidence in me has reached the peak. I can walk in the streets late at night not worrying of the dangers that may come to me. But all of these, hand in hand has built the humility in me....

There is a FEAR that is blooming inside me...a fear that I might hurt anyone...with this, I try to live the philosophy of Aikido...

Thanks very much... I look forward to know all of you... :)

09-25-2005, 09:25 PM
Hi Victoria,

Welcome to AikiWeb.

-- Jun

09-26-2005, 12:56 AM
Do not worry. With your one month of training you will not likely be able to hurt anyone who resists. And do not let your confidence bring your AWARENESS down. Sometimes it is silly to walk late at night alone even if you are confident in your self-defence skills and are not afraid to.

09-26-2005, 08:44 AM
IMO aikido brings a sense of confidence without arrogance in confrontations. However it has also made me aware that anyone can kill anyone else if they really want to.

09-26-2005, 01:36 PM
Hey Victoria! Welcome to aikiweb. I too felt like I gained a sense of confidence of learning aikido even shortly after first joining. But I've been training aikido for over 6 years now and have just passed my 1st kyu test. Keep at it and don't give up.

Also, feel free to join us at Women In Aikido in the link in my signature if you just want to talk to other ladies.

09-26-2005, 10:43 PM
Thank you very much for the WARM WELCOME.... I am falling in love with Aikido

09-26-2005, 11:15 PM

I understand.

I was mugged at gunpoint with my brother and sister in law less than a month after my first aikido class. I knew we were being mugged long before they did, but my experience did not tell me we were being mugged. I saw the three guys walking up...knew they had no reason to act so, but until I saw the gun in the small of the back of my sister in law...no real clue we were being mugged...just a sense of danger.... Unfortunately, after only a month, I had no way to control the situation...hell....even after a number of times using aikido in fights, I am still not certain how to dodge a bullet.

But the point is, aikido can make one more aware....just make certain that you use that awareness to avoid conflict....not enter it.

Welcome to aikido...and to aikiweb