PDA

View Full Version : reason for practice

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

aikishrine
09-23-2005, 10:23 AM
i was wondering what people think that the main reason for starting aikido is, and what do they think is the reason for training in aikido a year or so after they start, if it is the same reason or not.and then for people who keep on training into the years, what keeps them motivated?

Yann Golanski
09-23-2005, 10:37 AM
The same things that motivated me to start Aikido are still motivating me now. Nothing has changed, the bar is just a little higher.

dyffcult
09-25-2005, 03:13 AM
Brian asked, " I was wondering what people think that the main reason for starting aikido is"

Because I knew my own propensity for violence. After my sensei explained, aikido seemed perfect for me. My violence levels have dropped significantly since....

Brian asked about people who kept training after a year....I did not. I trained six days a week when I started, moved to Iwama for three months, trained every day, moved back to the States, found local training more than I was willing to drive 45 minutes for on a daily basis...

As to what keeps people "training into the years" and what keeps them motivated? No clue. However, for the fifteen years I was absent from aikido, I wanted to train, just didnt have the [money, time, energy, confidence]. However, I always held aikido in my heart....and tried to blend with my fellow man.....would have prefered time on the mat.

Amir Krause
09-25-2005, 10:19 AM
When starting, I believe S.D. was a major issue, today, 15 years later, I practice since I enjoy it.

Actually, who am I kidding?
I am addicted, I can't stop practicing for long without finding it to affect my mind, lose the feeling of calmness, becoming agitated and starting to dream of training ...

Addiction, that's my final answer.

Amir