PDA

View Full Version : New to Aikido

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Kev
09-15-2005, 11:01 PM
Hi all! My name is Kevin and I have never taken a class in martial arts in my life. I have always had a keen interest in martial arts but have felt like there is a lot of things that are added just for showmanship. The only art that I have seen that compels me to try it is Aikido. My wife recently started training in a shotokan style and has been wanting me to try it with her. It seems well enough for fitness purposes but a bit rigid for self defense.

The concepts that I have found in Aikido seem to go hand in hand with the way that I live my life so I feel that it can enhance my experience on earth. I am looking forward to getting started though it may be a bit in the future as I am going to La. to help with the hurricane recovery.

Lee Mulgrew
09-16-2005, 03:50 AM
The concepts that I have found in Aikido seem to go hand in hand with the way that I live my life so I feel that it can enhance my experience on earth. I am looking forward to getting started though it may be a bit in the future as I am going to La. to help with the hurricane recovery.

Hi Kevin,
Same reason I chose Aikido, it just suits my path in life. I have tried other martial arts but as you say they are too ego centered and rigid for me (well, except Tai-Chi which I still do). Anyway, welcome to the site and hopefully you will soon get to experience Aikido first hand. It really does need to be experienced, no ammount of theory and explanation can properly get across what it is like to do!

Trust me you will love it!
;)

akiy
09-16-2005, 07:56 AM
Hi Kevin,

I hope you find a good aikido dojo near you. Welcome to AikiWeb.

-- Jun