PDA

View Full Version : wushu...compared to aikido?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

ad_adrian
09-05-2005, 06:05 AM
hi,
i have a friend who is really into wushu and has asked me to come along and try it
and me loving a lot of martial arts is interested but i really dont know much about the matter, comparing it to aikido or what not? im figuring its completely different.
does anyone know much about this form of chinese martial art?
will it effect my aikido? etc
any information would help

Jiawei
09-05-2005, 06:27 AM
It won't as long as you don't confuse the two. Wushu..hmm...any specific style ? Like Shaolin, Wing Chun, Tai Ji or is it just Wushu ? Coz Wushu from waht I know is more orientated for performance more than self defence. Traditional Chinese training methods include what you would call (in Chinese) horse stance. which means standing squatted in a certain position to build up the strength of the limbs.

For Wushu, they'll probably focus a lot on stretching because you need to very flexible for performance. There will be emphasis on weapons but as mentioned, its more for performance. Weapons range from the wooden staff, chinese swordplay and ....I dunno what else. There may be a self defence component in which case you'll have to check it out. And check the authenthicity of the teacher, master, sifu...whatever they want to call it nowadays. Best to check online for further information. You don't want frauds teaching you.

Its definitely a "hard" style of martial arts compared to Aikido. Hard as in the training methods.

Style matters a lot in Chinese Martial Arts. Nobody comes up with their own...except bruce lee. And even Bruce Lee fused WIng Chun with martial arts like Judo and boxing. Anybody else coming up with their own style without a proper lineage of masters and I doubt that it will be genuine.

p00kiethebear
09-05-2005, 02:53 PM
Wikipedia is your friend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wushu#Contemporary_Wushu