PDA

View Full Version : Hikitsuchi Bo Staff

Please visit our sponsor:

aikido_diver
09-03-2005, 08:43 PM
I was recently re-watching Hikitsuchi Shihans Video tapes, and was wondering wat were the dimensions for his Bo staff? I have tried looking for one similar to that size, but could not find one. I have only found Bo's to be too long, too heavy and too thick. If someone knows of the dimensions of his Bo, or what a Bo should be please post some measurements, or places where I could buy one.

Thank You!

Lorien Lowe
09-04-2005, 12:08 AM
I train at a dojo with a dojo-cho who trained Hikitsuchi shihan; we do a lot of 'bo' work, but rather than having a set length we guage the staff by the person weilding it. An appropriate length is somewhere between armpit and chin height; the width should be what fits your grip comfortably, but a relatively thin staff will be weaker and a relatively thicker staff will be harder to swing.

If you're looking to get a new staff, wood is a fairly important consideration. Hickory is good if you're going to be banging around; oak is good if you're more interested in studying the movement of the staff; purpleheart, if you can afford it, is pretty good for most uses. There's someone registered here (sorry, I can't remember your name) who knows a lot about woods - also look up the woods page on Kingfisher woodworks.

-L

bkedelen
09-04-2005, 01:40 AM
I would love to know where videos of Hikitsuchi are available.

Lan Powers
09-04-2005, 08:27 AM
>Re: Hikitsuchi Bo Staff

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>I would love to know where videos of Hikitsuchi are available.<

I would as well......(bet there are others who collect video and would be pleased to have this resource) :)
Lan

akiy
09-04-2005, 10:24 AM
I would love to know where videos of Hikitsuchi are available.
http://www.aikiweb.com/reviews/showcat.php?mcats=&si=hikitsuchi&what=allfields&name=&when=&whenterm=

-- Jun

aikido_diver
09-04-2005, 05:35 PM
Thank you all for your posts. I would recommend in getting these videos. They are expensive (were for me being a student) but they are a collection which you'll appreciate more and more everytime you watch them. I wish I could have known and trained with Hikitsuchi Sensei, his Aikido is brilliant, and his videos I believe are the next best thing to training with him.

Thank you all again for your help!