PDA

View Full Version : Bay Area Aikido?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

markwalsh
09-03-2005, 07:24 PM
I may well be staying just north of San Francisco for a few months over Winter. While I have arranged a regular dojo, it would also be fun to visit some others in the area. As it seems to be one of the densest concentrations of aikido in the world, I thought I'd ask some advice:

What dojos are worth visiting in the Bay Area?

I've mainly trained Aikikai but as interested in any quality/ friendly/ unusual dojos.

Thanks in advance :)

Mark
:ai:

Michael Hackett
09-03-2005, 08:56 PM
Jack Wada Sensei in San Jose is well worth the visit. Frank Doran Sensei in the East Bay is a wonderful instructor too. Linda Holiday Sensei in Santa Cruz (I believe that's her primary location) is great to train with. You should be able to wear out a gi or two in the Bay Area over the winter. Have fun!

Clayton Drescher
09-04-2005, 02:12 AM
Suginami in SF is great ( I may be a bit biased though, trained ther for two years). Good hard workout, classes every night, and most mornings. I also enjoyed Aikido of Tamalpais in Mill Valley in Marin, and was impressed with a seminar with Kayla Feder Sensei of Aikido of Berkeley in Richmond.

Enjoy!

Erik
09-04-2005, 10:58 AM
For the record, Frank Doran is not in the East Bay. Wrong side of the bay. Damn aikido foreigners. :D

Based on your dojo's org, and your location, I'll assume you are visiting Tamalpais. Those mentioned so far are all good suggestions. In addition,

City Aikido - Bob Nadeau
Aikido Center, SF - Hideki Shiohira
Bay Marin Aikido - Hans Goto
Aikido of San Leandro - Pat Hendricks
Aikido of Palo Alto - Bill Witt
Berkeley Aikikai - I. Shibata
Monterey - Either Julio Toribio or Danielle Molles Evans. If nothing else as an excuse to visit Monterey, if you need one.

Most of these, not sure about Berkeley Aikikai, you can just walk in on. I'd call, not so much for the courtesy as we're mostly, pretty open, but just to be sure the instructor is there. It would suck to drive down to Santa Cruz, for instance, and find Neil Mick teaching rather than Linda Holiday. You'd probably have to kill yourself and I don't want that. :)

There are probably 30 dojos within easy driving distance of Marin and 10 or so on your side of the bridge. Personally, I used to just show up at places, particularly aikikai, and see what happened. As far as ASU dojos go there are a handful of those around, most of which are in the East Bay.

You can also just watch the seminar list. They'll be something going on somewhere a couple of times a month.

If you want specific recommendations PM me. I'll be honest. I live in the East Bay, have lived in the Southern edge of the Bay Area, and also spent a lot of time in Marin (specifically to do aikido).

Qatana
09-04-2005, 03:59 PM
In the "Nadeau tradition" also- Aikido of Marin, Richard Moon ,Sensei and my home dojo, Aikido of Petaluma, Bob Noha, 5 Dan,Sensei
Iwama style- Bay Marin Aikido, Hans Goto, Sensei

We always welcome visitors- classes with Sensei are Thurs Eve & Sat Am. He is mostly interested in the "energetic processes" in aikido & technique, Tuesday evenings with Charlie are faster-paced and more technique oriented.

PaulieWalnuts
09-04-2005, 05:36 PM
wow, i hope you guys realise how lucky you are having so many top class teachers, im in complete awe! luchy gits :D

gstevens
09-04-2005, 09:56 PM
We'd love to have you at Sensei Tom Gambell's East Bay Aikido Dojo in Oakland too.

www.eastbayaikido.com

Guy
:-)

markwalsh
09-05-2005, 10:13 AM
Wow, thanks for all the replies! looks like I'm gona be a busy budoka.

Incidentally:

"...and find Neil Mick teaching rather than Linda Holiday. You'd probably have to kill yourself and I don't want that."

Neil's a friend of mine :)
so I'll be popping by and aiming my cannons at self slaughter.

Again, thanks all.

Michael Hackett
09-05-2005, 01:37 PM
Erik,

You're right. I shouldn't have spent all those years in the sixties living in The City - my compass would be more accurate.

Erik
09-05-2005, 04:39 PM
Erik,

You're right. I shouldn't have spent all those years in the sixties living in The City - my compass would be more accurate.

Egads!

Well, it was a lot different back then.

markwalsh
09-06-2005, 09:44 AM
Just out of interest, what other areas of the world are as densely populated in aikido terms? Maybe:

Paris
Tokyo
Osaka
West Midlands (Birmingham, UK)
New York

Daphne
09-06-2005, 03:26 PM
There is also Oakland Aikido Institute, on Telegraph Ave., Kim Peuser Sensei, and Aikido Institute of Davis, Hoa Newens Sensei. Both are Iwama style.

Daphne
09-07-2005, 12:55 PM
There is also Oakland Aikido Institute, on Telegraph Ave., Kim Peuser Sensei, and Aikido Institute of Davis, Hoa Newens Sensei. Both are Iwama style.

http://www.aikidoinstitute.org.
http://www.aikidoinstitutedavis.com/

Qatana
09-07-2005, 03:07 PM
I wouldn't call Davis "Bay Area" as it is roughly 90 miles from San Francisco. More like "Northern California".

Daphne
09-07-2005, 04:08 PM
I wouldn't call Davis "Bay Area" as it is roughly 90 miles from San Francisco. More like "Northern California".

73 miles, actually, according to Yahoo. Monterey, which was also mentioned, is 112 miles from SF. Both are charming towns, in their distinctive ways, and are worth visiting.

Shari
09-07-2005, 06:03 PM
Don't forget Aikido of Diablo Valley in Concord, CA. An ASU dojo. Other ASU dojos in the area:
Aikido of Fremont, Aikido of Livermore, Aikido of Tamalpais (Mill Valley).

dyffcult
09-09-2005, 03:02 AM
Well Mark,

I train at Oakland Aikido Insititute ( Institute of Aikido, Oakland...switch the words around, I don't recall...however, our server got eaten and the website is most likely down.) Iwama style dojo, but with a mat fee. I have an extra to offer. Those accepted by my dojo and with a reference or two that I can call, I also offer a bed and bath to trainers looking for time on the mat. I have met aikidoka from the world over, and so have extensive ability to check references. Accordingly, I offer beds to those with the proper reference.

So, if you are looking to train in the east bay for a bit, give me a call, whether you wish to train at my dojo or no....just click on the link and I will give you a phone number.

Best of luck in your training... I might even drive you to keiko...

Brenda

markwalsh
09-09-2005, 09:28 AM
Dear Brenda,

Thanks you for the kind offer.

I'll be living in an uchi deshi type environment while there as it is though, so I was just looking for other places to pop into now and again. If this is still ok, I'd love to visit, as one of my English instructors visited Oakland many years ago and recomnended the dojo.

Thaks again to all,

Mark

Janet Rosen
09-09-2005, 10:33 AM
City Aikido - Bob Nadeau.
We love visitors!--no need to call ahead; cmon by!
http://www.cityaikido.com

shift99
09-09-2005, 12:31 PM
There is also Heart of San Francisco headed by Penny Sablove Sensei (who has been a long time student of Linda Holiday Sensei) if you are looking for a smaller dojo environment. :D

http://www.heartaikido.com/

Rod Yabut
09-09-2005, 01:16 PM
Hi Mark,
We share the same travel traits. I make sure everytime I go somewhere, I pack my gi with me. SF has been one I frequently visit. I can only tell you where I've had the opportunity to practice...lots of good aikidoka in Northern Cali.

-Aikido Center, SF: Shiohira
-Berkeley Aikikai: Shibata
-SF Aikikai: Posluns/Verville
-City Aikido: Nadaeu
-San Jose: Wada

I've never been disappointed in trying out dojos in SF. I came out of these dojos with a lot to add to my aikido. I look forward to the other suggestions on this thread.

markwalsh
09-09-2005, 01:24 PM
Assuming I have a spare moment when I get out there, I'll turn this into a "blog thread" and keep all informed of my adventures :) It would at least make a good city dojo guide for future visitors.

Erik
09-09-2005, 05:35 PM
-San Jose: Wada

Can't believe I forgot Jack Wada.

Janet Rosen
09-09-2005, 07:03 PM
Can't believe I forgot Jack Wada.
Wada mistake!

samurai_kenshin
09-09-2005, 08:45 PM
Aikido of San Leandro. I'm surprised nobody mentioned it because we get an average of 5 uchi deshi a month. Berkely Aikikai is good too, I hear, but that's only through my cousin and aunt who train there. I gotta visit now. See, ya got me started!

Michael Hackett
09-09-2005, 10:18 PM
How did you forget Jack Wada Sensei, Erik? Were you in The City during the sixties too? : )

Erik
09-11-2005, 11:46 AM
How did you forget Jack Wada Sensei, Erik? Were you in The City during the sixties too? : )

Worse! Born and raised in Santa Cruz county.

But then we seem to be having trouble remembering who posted what where in this thread so I forgot that you'd already posted Jack's name like the Iwama feller not noticing I'd mentioned San Leandro.

Or, I could be getting senile.